Ghost Band pick up set?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by StewRacing, May 29, 2018.

1. StewRacing

StewRacing SS.org Regular

Given that Ghost uses Lundgren pickups which seam to harken back to a PAF tone, which set of Duncan’s would come close? JB/59? I know they have used Duncan’s in the past I believe. Just curious.

2. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Seth Lover pups are the most "PAF"-y of the current Duncan line, from what I understand.

3. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

This is true, although tied for first is also the Antiquity.

mikah912 likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

I thought the antiquity line was just relic'd pickups. The specs/descriptions make the seth lover set seem nearly identical to the antiquity.

5. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

6. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

If I purchase a guitar this year it will be one of these! Been eyeing them up for a while now.

Mathemagician likes this.
  7. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Any of the A5 based PAFs will work in the bridge; 59/Custom Hybrid (SH-16) or 59 Bridge (SH-1b), Even stuff like the Saturday Night Specials (A4) or the Pearly Gates SH-1PG1b (A2) worked pretty well for Ghost in my experience. My RD had Gibson Burstbucker Pros, they worked well too and they were A5s.

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yup. This is how I see it.
    The '59 is an approximation of that sound. Also unlike their other PAFS, this uses a Alnico 5. All the others use Alnico 2s.
    The Seth was meant to be a 100% reproduction of a PAF from that era. Pretty much getting a "fresh" PAF from the late '50s.
    The Antiquities, if I'm understanding right, are supposed to be like getting "legitimate" PAFs. They're aged to sound like a PAF that was made 50 years ago. However that works. :lol:
    There's also the Pearly Gates. It's based on Billy Gibbon's pickups in his 1959 "Pearly Gates" Les Paul. They're apparently slightly hotter and meaner than stock PAFs.

FWIW they couldn't have used the '59, Seth Lovers, or Antiquities. They can't be coil tapped. The Pearly Gates set can be, though.

9. StewRacing

Thank you for that education. I never knew much about the Pearly Gates.
    I checked out Lundgren's website and as far as I can tell, they don't sell the Ghost pickups separately. I had an idea, and not that I was looking to spend more money then one has to. But I considered buying a Jim Root Jazzmaster and adding a Ghost style / PAF set up to that guitar. I love the Fender image, but want the Ghost / Breaking Benjamin type passive tones. When you do the research, there are not many 25.5" scale guitars out there with mahogany bodies with ebony or synthetic ebony fretboards. Guitar would set up for D and drop C.

10. Schmeer

Schmeer Riff .....istrator

Well, this isn't exactly true. Both the 59 and the Seth Lovers can be ordered with 4-conductor wiring, allowing for the coils to be split.

FWIW, the Lundgren website lists Ghosts as users of the Heaven 57s and the Smooth Operators, these can be ordered separately.

11. yellowv

Yeah even though Hagstrom claims that the guitars they are playing on tour are identical to the ones you can buy I would be pretty surprised if that were true. I’m sure they probably use real Lundgrens in their guitars rather than the lundgren designed ones in the Fantomen. I have already seen a couple of pics of one of the ghouls playing a fantomen with no body binding which leads me to think they have customs as well.

12. yellowv

That said the pickups in the Fantomen do nail the Ghost tone perfectly.

13. StewRacing

I would agree that they are probably all custom. I mean why wouldn't they? I just want to build my own guitar with my style but achieve the vibe of the music I am into.

14. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

The Antiquity is a different wind than the Seths. It is more open sounding- cleaner and clearer.

15. StewRacing

How does your right forearm feel when you sit and play? Is this more weight balanced and spread out then a Gibson RD. I held one of those and it felt small. I am 6'4". So I like guitars on the larger size. Btw, PRS guitars put my right shoulder to sleep for some reason. Thanks

16. yellowv

I would say an RD is slightly more comfortable for your forearm bc of the bevel. The Fantomen doesn’t have a bevel. Other than that I would say they are fairly close in size and balance. These are marketed as thin and lightweight, but honestly it’s about the same thickness and weight as my RD, but for me that’s not a bad thing. As for the size, even at 6’4” I don’t see how an RD could feel small. They are narrow at the waste, but pretty huge otherwise. The case for this thing is gigantic.

17. StewRacing

It was the short scale of the RD I think. The body is not small, but the neck side felt close quarters.

18. yellowv

What RD did you play? Most are 25.5 other than the new reissues.

19. StewRacing

It was the 2018 re-issue.

20. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Uh, I own a set of 4-wire '59s, so, yeah, they could be tapped. ;)