Getting Started on Recording? Cool Freeware Multitrack Program

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Drew, May 16, 2007.

1. crissmichaels

crissmichaels Insane Mix Engineer

So far, I've had pretty good luck using a machine to record. I'll load the tracks to my computer for mixing (Cool Edit Pro) and mastering (FL Studio 8 - Torrent), but as long as it records without too many problems, I'll use it.

Recently, a friend gave me an MAudio MBOX to use. I've only recorded one song with it, but it worked great.

paginas para descargar musica gratis

2. Jes

Jes ss.org Irregular

MixCraft :hbang:

3. metalmonster

metalmonster SS.org Regular

Presonus studio one !

It's awesome. And free.

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You know, the irony here is since starting this thread back in '07, I've switched completely over to Reaper myself. :lol: It's free to try, and it's hands down the most flexible program I've used yet.

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

And yet still no album :drew: :lol:

6. metalmonster

metalmonster SS.org Regular

...though, Reaper is actually the best "free" program out there. First, it's cheap, and it's free to try for as long as you want ...

I'm a regular Logic Audio user. Though i don't even own a mac, but i help a friend with it and it's hands down one of the best DAWs i've ever seen, plus it's not so expensive.

I really love Cubase, too, since i had a "domestic" 40$ version when i was a kid, and learned all the ropes in it...

... as for now, my DAW consists in a reaper "free-to-try" version (since i still don't make money with that software. But i will, and that's when i'll be buying the software) and Komplete players, which are Kompletely free, and Kompletely awesome (and makes you want the real thing, not because the free version is too limited, but because the free version is actually awesome enough to make me consider investing into it).

As for drums, i use XLN Addictive drums Free, and XLN addictive keys free. Which gives you a basic drumset, and an astounishing piano ... for free, though i really need a piano plugin that works on 8 octaves.

And that's my experience with free software. You can actually have a lot of fun with it, and when it's time to go pro, you can buy'em and have even more than you already had and dig way deeper into music production.

7. Kaickul

Kaickul ΛTRΛMΞNTVM

I use a Windows OS and highly recommend Reaper, the interface if very user friendly and easy to figure out even for beginners.

8. XplosivduX

XplosivduX SS.org Regular

These are all my opinions but I have used/been forced to work with all of these
    In windows use Cubase or Protools if you have the cash, if you don't have the cash use Reaper, it is fast becoming a great DAW, if you have 0 cash maybe you can volunteer at a local studio audacity is brilliant and powerful but it has a complex workflow which will put you right off.
    In OSX (or other variants of mac OS) I'd use Logic Cubase or Protools if you have the cash, Garage band if you don't. If you are looking to buy a recording media computer look into hackintoshes if you want to go mac.
    For Linux I have only used Ardour.
    My studio space runs Cubase on both machines but honestly it makes very little difference what you use, its all about practice and ear training.
    PM if you have any questions. Stay cool Sevenstring.

9. John Pattison

John Pattison SS.org Regular

I love that little video! Frickin halarious!:lol:

10. John Pattison

John Pattison SS.org Regular

Hey out there! I've got a couple of questions regarding a Roland #2480 rig. I'm completley new to the whole digital recording thing and as a musician, most all my recoding experience has been going somewhere, paying and having it done. I'm involved in a project where I need to submit a recording and their asking for 16-bit, 44.1K wave file. I'm trying to do this on a budget so I'm hoping to record this at a buddy's house. He's telling me that his rig will produce 24-bit, 9kHz non wave file. He says that he'd need to add in different software to go to a wave format. Everyone else I've spoken with so far says this isn't true and that my friend just needs to learn a little more about his gear. Is there anyone out there who can educate / advise me on this? Thanks for your time and help! :scratch:

11. Glass Cloud

Glass Cloud Banned

Still confused on reaper. There's the 60 day(of actual use) trial so if I like it I'm sure I'll pay the $60 once that's up. But is it free or not? Once I use up my 60 days does a message pop up telling me i have to buy a license to use it. I keep hearing people say you can use it forever. How does that work then? Can I use it for free but just not make money of tracks I made with it(how would they even know?). Will I get sued just for uploading some ....ty tracks to bandcamp? Is paying the $60 just a nice jester, like paying for a bands album when they give the option of getting it for free?

12. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

You are supposed to buy it once the time on the trial is up, though why you wouldn't is beyond me if that's the route you want to go.

Beyond that I imagine you're in breach of the terms and conditions, which you agreed to, which is technically a contract...

13. Glass Cloud

Glass Cloud Banned

So what happens if you don't buy it? How do they know you're still using it?

14. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 ..working on my mix Contributor

I run Reaper on a mac laptop. I use a Focusrite Scarlett interface, bx_rockrack, and ezdrummer.

Can't recommend Reaper enough. I used Cubase in the past, but think Reaper is just as good (if not better) and WAY cheaper.

15. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Tracktion v5 is free and has a Mac support as well.