Getting back on guitar, what to look first or practice/learn?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Space_Shift, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Space_Shift

Space_Shift SS.org Regular

Hello guys, so i don't know how many times i leave and then re start with guitar lol but this time i'm very motivated to start again and do it correctly.

I'm learning some songs with one of my friends to record some covers and also stay motivated to keep playing guitar.

So currently i don't have enough time because of work and school also to go to classes so i'm learning by my own. So as i said in the title, what i should look first to learn/practice? Are there any good books, YT channels, apps, pdfs, etc that would be good to look for?
    Are learning songs a good way too?

I already know some basic chords but not so much of scales :/ i think only the major scale.

I'm not limited on only "shredding" hehe i think i passed that phase of just wanting to play fast solos and that stuff haha so i'm open minded regarding on guitar playing and i would like to improve my knowledge on the instrument and overall in music. :)

2. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

I really like the book “Fretboard Mastery” by Troy Stetina, starts very basic with stuff like intervals and is very friendly when it comes to working at your own pace. Comes with a CD to accompany the material as well!

3. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

+1 for Fretboard Mastery, that's what I was about to advise. And that's also the book I'm using to get back into a sort of practice regimen after a 3-4 year hiatus.

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Get a teacher. Know what your goals are and find the teacher who works best in helping you meet those goals. The online resources are a great help, but IMHO nothing quite matches sitting down opposite someone and being physically taught how to do things. Use the internet to supplement the lessons and you'll be in good shape.

5. Space_Shift

Thanks a lot for your suggestions i appreciate it :) I will look for that book, are there any other lessons/techniques to complement it?

I know getting a teacher would be better but i can't take classes because of school and work :/ I went to classes before but they were only the basics and not especific things or techniques and if there are those classes are either expensive or to far from where i live.

6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Have you thought about online classes? Plenty of high-level teachers who can do lessons via skype or something, and I'm sure one of them can meet your schedule.

Honestly I'd put work into finding a teacher who can meet your schedule than I would avoiding it.

7. Space_Shift

I will look on that on online lessons, thanks for the suggestions! :D

Also off topic but it's there any pros on learning both bass and guitar? Not on techniques but on the musical theory side of things i mean(like scales, notes on fretboard, etc).

I ask because right now my main guitar has needs to take to repair and i was thinking on getting an acoustic/electro acoustic guitar or learn bass guitar. I'm a little undecided on what to do if to keep with guitar or also learn a new instrument.

Eventually i will soon take my guitar to repair. :D

8. Filip Maceček

Filip Maceček SS.org Regular

Hi,
    in my humble opinion it really depends on what Your goals are. If you want to memorize notes on fretboard, scale shapes or chords you can easily print out a fretboard shape on a piece of paper or make one from cardboard so You can have your guitar in the repair shop and learn all those things on the cardboard fretboard :)

9. Space_Shift

Hello guys again looking for some suggestions, so i was thinking on what my goals would be to start learning this time as @Filip Maceček said. So, right now i'm thinking on getting to know about some theory and also knowing about the scales and chords. So i have a better understanding on what i'm playing, what note/chord follows the other, know also when trying to learn a song how to start and in which key is, etc. To have a complete understanding on what i'm playing.

Because i think that the techniques like sweep picking, alt picking, tapping etc. will come with time but i prefer on be practicing the fundamentals, understanding what i'm playing and be a better player.

So i was looking on getting some ebooks but any other resources like videos/apps/websites/etc i would be glad to hear them :)

I was looking for the Pocket Music Theory Book to start with but i'm open for other suggestions too.

10. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Turefire is pretty good. Jeff Sheets has a course called Street Theory for Guitarists that is excellent. They also have learning paths that start basic and progress from there. There's one for blues, rock, country, acoustic, and jazz. Maybe another one or two I'm forgetting. I think they are looking at adding actual song lessons but not sure on that. I have their annual plan which is $200 and gives full access to all of the site's lessons. It's a great deal, but they often have sales around the holidays that take that down to $100 which is a steal IMO.

Guitar Tricks is somewhat similar and they do have song lessons. I have memberships on both but I tend to prefer Truefire. Not because it's better--I think they are both about the same--but because I'm more used to using it. Truefire does have lessons by some guys like Robben Ford and Andy Timmons though so that's kinda cool.

Both sites have tons of content which could be easy to get lost in, but the learning paths (again, they both have that) are very good for keeping you on track.

11. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Music theory doesn’t require an instrument to learn. Once you understand the principles of a particular area, it can be applied to any instrument. Get a book on music theory, watch some videos, or read online. Just absorb as much as you can. The technical ability comes much faster when you know what you want to play.

12. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

If you want to learn music theory etc, as was said above, you do not need the instrument to do so. I would start with learning the major scale inside and out (in every key). Learn the intervals as they are the most important. The major scale is the reference block for all other scales (in Western Music, can't speak for anything else). After that, learn your triads (Maj, min, dim, alt) and their inversions. That would be a good start. Once those two things are done, you can pretty much go in any direction with it.

13. Space_Shift

Thanks for the replies! Thanks for the suggestions and i will look up on those sites for the lessons. Any suggestions on some books on music theory to start with? I was looking on getting the ebook of Pocket Music Theory but i don't know if it's a good start. @musicaldeath thanks for the suggestion, sounds like a good start :)