Gear recommendations for in-ear setup

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by NikolajBak, Jun 29, 2017.

1. NikolajBak

NikolajBak SS.org Regular

Hi. In my band we are considering going the in-ear route.
    Currently we are listening through headphones, and everyone is listening to the same mix.
    What we want to achieve is this:
    Everyone should have their own stereo mix (not individual pan for each channel but just volume).
    Fx. if the bass-player wants more bass in his mix. (Which is allways an issue)

So I guess we need some kind of mixer with 4 stereo Aux's right? + headless gear and in-ear monitors of course.

The band consists of 2 guitars, bass and drums. I play the guitar and I sing as well.
    Currently we are playing modellers + a line out from a bass amp. The drums are miked.

2. drjeffreyodweyer

drjeffreyodweyer SS.org Regular

Take a look at the Behringer Powerplay Series and XR18/ X32 Rack.

3. NikolajBak

Thanks, that looks reallly neat. But we do not necessarily need to be able to adjust the individual mixes from afar. I'm primarily looking for a "one box" solution, if such a thing exists.
    But I will definitely look into it. I didn't even think of getting a digital mixer.

4. NikolajBak

5. indreku

indreku SS.org Regular

Hi,

actually no, you can manage to do only 3 stereo mixes from this.

I would recommend this
    https://www.thomann.de/intl/ee/behringer_x_air_xr18.htm?ref=search_rslt_x+air+18_352195_0

This gives you options:
    you have up to 12 channels of drum and back track(considering if you aren't running stereo guitars then you have 10 channels)
    you can have up to 5 individual stereo mixes
    your mix is saved automatically
    everyone can manage their own mix through their Ipad/Iphone

we tried with my band as well using an in-ear setup in rehearsal and we got the x16 version(reason was it was fucking cheap second hand).
    Since there is at the moment 5 of us we have only the option of getting currently 4 mixes, our vocalist are sharing a mix.

Plus this is more convenient and cheaper + this has future application possibilities - if you ever decide you want to go in-ear live as well...buy 2x 8 channel splitters, send one set of signals to the Behringer and use a 16 channel stage box that you send out from the splitters to the FOH(less cable management and faster hookup) and you are done.
    Also an option is, as you have 5 mix option, do 4 for you and send the 5th mix to FOH, then you won't need to buy splitter, but this requires for you to have your own sound guy who can always mix your sound.

6. NikolajBak

Thanks for the info. That sounds great. But as I can see, there are only 6 xlr aux's = 3 stereo mixes, right? Or am I missing something?

7. indreku

indreku SS.org Regular

ell actually you have 6 XLR direct out + 2 main mix whatyou can also use for in-eaar and also earphone out whaat can be used as one mix so you have 5 full mixes....

8. NikolajBak

That makes sense! I think we're going to get the X18 air and use the splitters + a snake as you recommend.
    But are there not disadvantages in using this kind of setup? There will be no amps on stage, no feedback, which is great. But also no stage sound apart from the drums. Isn't it a problem to solely rely on a pa. What if it's shit, do you bring your own pa or poweramp+cabs? That seems to defeat the purpose of a ampless setup.

9. indreku

indreku SS.org Regular

Well there are always disadvantages.
    Now if the PA is shit, then you will be in the shitter anyway.
    If you are playing a really small venue where you wouldn't mic the amps, using it is pointless(thou we don't do show like that any more ourselves).
    now the thing is that if the PA craps out, you will not be able to do any show as well...as even thou you might have the loudest amp in the world it still will not carry as well most rooms and I really want to see a vocalist who would and could over sing the amps without the PA.
    So a PA is a must anyway and mic vs direct then there is no difference for guitars.
    Now with drums there is the difference, that if it is a smaller room you might not want to mic the cymbals.
    I've done few shows with our soundguy and we use similar setup - send guitar direct and use, if we are not using in-ears, the cabinets to monitor our playing, but the problem here is, if it is a bit bigger stage, then there is the option that you either hear the blasted wedge in the front or the cab.
    And here is my most important part - most places who want bands to perform there and bring cash, take somewhat care of their PA, but usually the local stage monitors/wedges, are blasted and shit.