GAS is a real thing... and a problem.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TheFireSky5150, Jun 12, 2018.

1. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

Pay your bills, save enough for your retirement and spend the rest of the money on whatever makes you happy.
    Drugs, including smoking and drinking, are way worse than spending money on your hobbies and I don't see any of my friends calculating how much money they have wasted on booze last year.

PBGas and Alex79 like this.
  2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm generally pretty content in my rig - I have two killer amps, one more than I really need or want, and a good fleet of guitars that cover virtually any applications I'd want one for. I suppose I wouldn't mind a good Tele or a good semi-hollow, but they're hardly to the point of GAS.

Basically, I have a number of really nice guitars I like, two great amps, and have never been much for FX, so I'm good there. I've been pretty immune to GAS for years now.

Now, recording gear, on the other hand... I'm getting there, but there are definitely a few more gaps I want to fill.

Spinedriver likes this.
  3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

although its a great point, and I always encourage poepl to get as many hobbies as they want (go out and do/learn stuff) the problem comes when that other hobbie its a expensive one too. There might dont be a GAS anymore, but then there would be the equivalent in that world. I could always use a new lens for my camera, or a new boddy, new/better flashes, filters. Or a new set of tyres for my car with a different suspension, bullbar, rock sliders, electric fridge, camping gear, driving lights. Or a new surfboard, I already got a short board and a mini-mall, I could ahve a fish, and single fin, twin fin, long board. Or I could get a sea kayak. Or a new snowboard (I already got new boots/bindings couple of seasons ago), I could use new pants, I need new gloves. Lucky I didnt got too far with kitesurfing so I sold my gear couple of years ago. Lucky I never got into finish as all my family is, if not the amount of gear you need adn you would crave would be endless.

Its great idea to have other hobbies to take you out of the GAS, but those new hobbies can come with a equaly expensive price tag, one that would make you go "if I didnt had this I could ahve gotten my new guitar by now" lol

Spinedriver likes this.
  4. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Honestly, it's much like any other hobby. Be it golf, video games, river rafting, whatever.. Some people are always going to want the 'latest & greatest' of whatever is available and others don't really care. A good example is that over the last 30 years I've probably bought & sold well over a dozen guitars and easily twice as many pedals. Conversely, there's a guy I know who played in a local band for well over a decade and used the same guitar, amp & Boss DS-1 the entire time. For whatever reason he had absolutely no interest whatsoever in effects, fancy 'multi-channel' amps ( he had a silverface Fender head), etc..

Like the others have said, it's mainly a matter of balance. If a person has the means, it can be fun to swap out older gear for something shiny & new. On the other hand, if you don't have a ton of money the quality of reasonably priced gear these days is exponentially better than it was 20-30 years ago. It's not really that hard to get a great sounding rig without having to spend thousands of dollars. The trick is to not get sucked in by all of the fancy "demo" videos that are being made. Back in the day, we just saw that (insert guitar player here) was using such & such guitar and/or amp and that that's what you had to get to sound like them. These days you can come pretty close to doing that with a $200-$300 modeller and a bit of patience.

But yeah, like I said before, it really does just boil down to a matter of willpower to avoiding spending a ton of cash on something you don't really need.

5. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

Just be a sad excuse for a guitarist like me, then you'll have no problem convincing yourself you don't deserve any new shiny gear :frantic:

6. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

You do deserve new shiny gear. Love yourself.

Elric, A-Branger and The906 like this.
  7. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Mortgage
    Children (especially child care, but also the amount of food/clothes/toys they need...)
    Insurances
    Retirement funds
    Utility bills

..... no money left for GAS. I haven't bought anything except for strings for around a year now.

The other big thing is time; I get to play so little, I can't actually use all the stuff I already have. Why buy new pickups if changing them/adjusting them would just eat up the precious playing time I still have.

8. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

Don't poke holes in my defense mechanism!

A-Branger likes this.
  9. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

I'm more set and forget type of guy - I have a certain vision of what my rig should be able to do. that's why I have one guitar, couple of pedals, one amp etc... (not a lot's of gear) and I only replace certain pieces of gear when I feel like the new one could do better job for me and I can justify the cost of selling the old piece of gear and purchasing of the other...

I'm constantly checking the new stuff, just not buying.. couple of nice PRS guitars would be great to have in collection, though.. and some old 2ch Recto...and some nice 4x12 cabs, and mics...and the big strymons, even though I have 2 H9s... I'm glad I don't have so much spare money :lol:

10. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

If you think GAS is bad with one hobby, try balancing two hobbies:
    [​IMG]IMG_2129 by Joe Blow, on Flickr

Actually though, it's nice to have two outlets. I ride bikes to stay in shape and also for the thrill/competition aspect. I actually write most of my music while riding this thing way out in the woods and mountains. But it's hard to balance both, financially, so ultimately I make compromises. If guitar playing was my only hobby, I could have an Uberschall or Diezel Herbert or something like that, but I kinda need both activities to keep my sanity.

One thing to be aware of with guitar gear is the honeymoon period. At a certain level of quality, everything sounds "better" for a little while, because it sounds different from what you're used to. After the honeymoon period, go back to your old gear and see if it sounds worse. 9 times out of 10, you'll hear something you really like about the old gear, and you really didn't gain anything with the new gear.

I keep coming back to the 5150/6505 as my staple source of distorted tones. Even after years of owning them, I still get a grin ear to ear when I play a few riffs with the volume cranked properly. My 120 watt 6505 still leaves my jaw dropping after all these years. I've played just about every other high-gain head there is, and at the end of the day, I don't think any of them have a tone that would beat my 6505 in the long run.

The problem with flipping gear and changing it out all the time is that you don't really have a reference point if you don't still have your old gear. Our ears have a terrible memory for how something sounded in the past. You really need to A/B stuff to know if you've netted any gains.

Vyn, Dineley and MASS DEFECT like this.
  11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The multiple-GAS is real. I've also poured a bunch of money into biking lately (mostly in repairs, because I'm a dumb when it comes to bikes). Then there's the guitar stuff to keep up with. And bass stuff. And drums. Also I gatta keep my PC up to speed to play (and make) games on.

A while back I decided I wanted to spend more time with just leisurely reading - I'm glad to finally have a hobby that's a bit less expensive. Although some books can also be pricey. And I tend to include over-priced coffee with these reading sessions. So, maybe I'm just not good at holding on to money. :lol:

Dineley likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

I have pretty horrible GAS at times, but i've been managing to stop myself from buying anything that takes a big chunk out of my savings (like another guitar). I'm very happy with my amp setup and my guitars, but part of me still wants to snag certain models of guitars (ie xiphos, charvel star, baritone explorer) just to round out my collection. I think overall I'm just burning out on looking at and buying guitars.

13. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

My main two hobbies are guitar and weigtlifting.

A good squat/deadlift belt and a pair of chuck Taylor’s only set me back about 175 dollars and there’s nothing else to splurge on except shorts and shirts lol.

I used to be big into firearms some years ago. Now THAT was a huge money pit.

The906 likes this.
  14. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Have you considered building a home gym?

Squat rack, bar, fat bar, trap bar, ez whatsit bar, weights, more weights, bumper plates, glute ham, hyper, reverse hyper....best have a rowing machine.

Wait, that rowing machine wasn't good enough, want one with actual water in it.

15. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I always thought half the fun of going to the gym as an old fart was to look at girls' asses. Home gym kind of ruins that.

Dineley, cGoEcYk and blacai like this.
  16. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

I recommend semi professional auto racing.

17. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Horses and boats

cGoEcYk likes this.
  18. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick Also likes Jeeps and Motocross.

I am in the same boat with the GAS for multiple hobbies. I wish I could focus more on my summer projects than new guitar gear. I have 3 bikes (motocross) I am building right now, a LS/Tons swapped TJ build (currently on jack stands stripped to the frame), Duramax that had some bad fuel over the winter and took out an injector, a basement that was started to be finished, and all I can think about is another amp or guitar I don't need.

19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You do NOT want to see my road bike. :lol:

(Specialized Tarmac Expert on a pair of Enve 4.5s)

KailM and Dineley like this.
  20. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

The best thing I ever did to curb my G.A.S is telling myself that instead of investing in another piece of unnecessary gear, that instead I will learn something new on guitar and that will be far more beneficial than any new toys I could be buying. It's all about transferring the excitement of getting new gear into being excited about learning a new technique, song, chords, aspect of music theory, etc... This method also has the added benefit of making You a better musician, so it's win win. It definitely wasn't an instant transition for me, but try it for a month or two and I believe this mindset will start sinking in.