"GARBAGE!" or "Great!": The Clash's Sandinista!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Spaced Out Ace, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Let's first get it outta way that the only people who fill up Jack Daniels bottles with iced tea are THE CLAASSSHHHHH, BABBBYYYYY!!

Now that we've gotten that out of our systems, I'd like to discuss the Sandinista! album. This thing is overly bloated beyond belief. Imagine a fat guy whose friends and family have forgotten all about him, and he's been dead in his apartment for almost a month in the hottest summer month in Texas. There is no reason this album needs to be two LPs, let alone three. This nonsense started with London Calling, which is a great album, I'll grant it that, but has a couple filler tracks. I'd technically say it actually starts with The Clash (their first album, which between the various versions, has about 18 songs or something like that). With the dubs, the schizophrenic musical stylings, and the utter lack of a thread that ties all of this stuff together, it's really hard to get through a disc of the album, let alone all 36 (yes, thirty-fucking-six) tracks.

In fact, to be quite honest, I've never made it through once. I have, to be fair, listened to all of the real tracks (there is a bunch of "dub" garbage that serves zero purpose other than padding the tracklist and to inflate Joe Strummer's insane ego). I think around this time is when they started calling themselves, "The Only Band That Matters," which only serves to show just how out of touch they were. They contend that it was the record label who came up with that, but I would have to agree since it really started to infect their music with mediocrity.

So, as a whole, I think the album sucks. They jump around from new wave to disco (which was basically dead at this point) to reggae, and a bunch of shit in between. Where is the band that did songs with killer riffs like Protex Blue? Or even White Riot? Julie's Been Working for the Drug Squad? London's Burning? The Clash's version of Love Gun known as London Calling? What we get instead are 4-5 album sides of utter garbage, and for every Somebody Got Murdered and Police On My Back, we get 5-6 songs of pure filler, full of half ideas, bereft of inspiration, and lacking anything more than just vague intrigue. I don't know what Strummer, Jones, Simonon, and Headon were thinking, but I think the album comes off like a third rate U2/Bruce Springsteen/The Police hybrid with none of the believability, or for that matter, credibility. As strange and experimental as it was, PIL was a much better musical art project than this album.

So is there any bright side? No, not really. Even the single album style promotional album, consisting of 12 tracks, known as "Sandinista Now!" cannot save this toilet bowl filling dump with the consistency of oatmeal. It's just very bland, and very much a band who has been consuming more booze and drugs than it should, drifted apart, and totally out of touch with themselves and everyone else. I think Topper Headon is a very underrated drummer, though.

Conclusion: Garbage. If you're a Clash fan and don't have this album, I'd just stick to The Clash, Give Em Enough Rope (great album), and London Calling. Sandinista!, Combat Rock, and Cut the Crap are trash. I'm sure Sandinista! has it's fans, but I do not see why anyone would waste their time.
    Standouts: Somebody Got Murdered (this and Lost in a Supermarket are two of my favorite Clash songs), The Magnificent Seven (not great, but better than the bulk of this album), Police on My Back

The906 likes this.
  2. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

Are you impersonating a cartoon character or are you like this in real life?

oc616 likes this.
  3. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Pretty sure its a persona. Like a less self-aware Deadpool.

4. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

I like a bit of the Stooges and the Ramones, but I never cared for the Clash - or British punk for that matter. That said, Bowie and the glam rock scene of the 70s is something I much prefered. Punk kinda ruined all that fun stuff.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

I'm sorry if writing a review upsets the two of you. God knows I try to make you two like me, so doing something that'd make you dislike me really makes me sad. :(

InHiding likes this.
  6. Spaced Out Ace

Fair enough point. Hadn't Bowie moved on from glam by that point anyways though? (1976 or so...)

7. ArtDecade

Yup. Bowie was into his Berlin phase by the times the punks came up, but the glam bands that followed in his wake (from say 71-77) were swept away completely.

8. Spaced Out Ace

So basically a hair metal/grunge scenario, but about 25 years earlier.

ArtDecade likes this.
  9. ArtDecade

You are correct, sir!

10. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I’ll just take it on your word Ace. I don’t give two shits about the Clash. Punk rock didn’t start for me until Dead Kennedy’s, Misfits, Descendants etc.

ArtDecade and Spaced Out Ace like this.