Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by flexkill, Mar 31, 2013.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

wth those are two things basically guaranteed to be found in a GoT episode, though obviously in gratuitous amounts and not brief/mild

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

It turned out to be accurate, basically no violence and no nudity that I saw!

This episode felt really LOW RENT somehow, like the sets looked shoddy and the big "epic" ending had all of 6 people in it (maybe it was 7 or 8?). I really liked The Hound's scenes. Arya's were good too.

3. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Talk about blowing your load early, dear Lord, that was boring

4. wankerness

Twin Peaks was great so it made up for it. It's unfortunate that the only two shows I watch happen at the same time, but such is life.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

I'm really bothered by the iron islanders somehow being able to build 1000 ships that quickly.

takotakumi likes this.
  6. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

Loved that cold open, though.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  7. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Did Euron bring any of those with him when he returned to the Iron Islands or were they all new? If it's all new, then yeah, I'm in the same boat; although Danaerys did sail from Meereen to Dragonstone in that time, so maybe it's longer than we thought.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

he had like 5 ships or something when he came back to the iron islands. In the books they mention it only takes a few weeks at most to cross from westeros to braavos, and at most a few months to get from mereen to westeros. Also, did anyone else crack up when Ed Sheeran was hanging out with arya?

IGC likes this.
  9. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I HATED that he cameo'd last night, doing the one fucking thing he does anyways, which is sing. I probably would've turned it off if he had a lute with him. That whole thing didn't add to the episode at all, it was just like, "Look at who we got to wear Lannister armor!"

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

yeah it was a filler scene for me. Sam's scenes were basically filler too, except for the end with the restricted books/the burnt dude (who the hell was that..)

11. MFB

MFB ExBendable

He wasn't burnt, he was infected with ...gray scale

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

ohhhh it was mormont. I knew i recognized the voice

13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I quite enjoyed the episode.

The cold open was exactly what I expected. I would have thought it better for Arya not to reveal her identity, but I can kind of see it either way.
    There were a lot of "building up to..." scenes. There were a few things that made it more entertaining, though. The reveal that one of our well known characters who had become estranged from the story suddenly popped up where we didn't expect him. The scenes with the Hound seemed to be cleverly written. The short exchange at the wall was quite good. Euron's jabs at Jamie were really entertaining. I actually thought the sequence with Sam cleaning bedpans and eating gruel was pretty effective. It made me feel like gagging and praying that it would stop, just like Sam felt.

Now, the bad - there is little time left to tell the rest of the story. With that in mind, I don't really need to be reminded that Cersei is evil, or that she is plotting something. I don't need to be reminded of politics in the North, and reminded which houses were loyal and which turned to Bolton's side. I don't need to be reminded that Littlefinger is always up to something. We need to have stuff moving into place. Either battles or deliberately moving toward battle. The movements of Arya and Danerys are to that end, but honestly, the scenes with the Hound and with Sam and the drama with the Lannisters is throwing off the pacing.

14. wankerness

The scene with Sam and the turds seemed to be trying to do a Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul montage and not managing to pull it off. It was funny, though. I saw several people say it reminded them of the intro to Pink Floyd's "Money."

I think they're overdoing it with Lyanna Mormont. She's starting to feel like a gimmick when they do this every couple episodes. Based on how tiny her house is, I'm wondering if she was intended as a one-off and they changed their mind due to public reaction. IIRC, they did that with that great actress from About a Boy/Harry Potter.

RE: the fleet, I thought it was really stupid. His fleet was completely destroyed besides what Yara/Theon took, and on that grey island with no visible trees whatsoever, he yelled at everyone "GO CHOP DOWN THE TREES AND MAKE THE BIGGEST FLEET EVER!!!" And now, just a couple episodes later, they have the biggest fleet ever. I guess there was a tremendous redwood forest just offscreen and thousands upon thousands of people to chop it down and fashion it into ships in just a couple months or whatever the timeline was between the beginning of the season 6 finale and now (I know there was a timejump between the beginning of the finale and when they showed Tyrion and Varys on a boat together).

15. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I'm just glad it's FINALLY back on the air.

16. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I enjoyed it. Def a set up episode for the season but you need that sometimes.

I agree on the building ships thing being a bit iffy but let's face it , the whole plot is full of time/ distance story holes. It's one of those things I'm happy to just not think about too much and enjoy it.