FS: Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller, Nailbomb, Warpig, etc)

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by zimbloth, Mar 18, 2008.

1. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Hey man. I would suggest the VH2 in the neck, and in the bridge the Nailbomb with ceramic bridge. The Cold Sweat is a good choice too but the VH2 is warmer and more fluid IMO. If you're in the market, we just dropped out prices considerably on our website. Check it out on our website.

2. rifft

rifft SS.org Regular

Hey Nick, I think I might be ordering a set of BKPs for my HFS/VB Custom 24 this month. This is my drop C/D standard guitar usually used for playing stuff along the lines of Mastodon, Opeth, and a little bit of Periphery. I'd do like that rich clean tone the vintage hot models seem to have and am leaning towards a set of Emeralds. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

3. zimbloth

I think the Emeralds might be a little too polite for stuff like Mastadon, Opeth, and Periphery. I think something like the Holydiver or Rebel Yell would work better, as they are very dynamic with great cleans, but have more growl, balls, and aggression on top to go along with great note definition.

I do like the Emeralds though, they sound great for a wide variety of styles. I think if going in the vintage category, the Black Dog would suit your style better.

If interested in ordering you can do so here. We just reduced our prices by 15-20% :)

4. rifft

rifft SS.org Regular

Ah, that makes sense. I'm used to trying to have my guitars a versatile as possible but am now specializing this one (got a P24 with 59/09s to cover other stuff). I'll do a bit more listening to those pickups you recommended and put in an order in the next few weeks. That price drop of yours was what finally made me seriously look into swapping out my pickups :)

5. zimbloth

You'll be glad you did. The PRS pickups are nice, but I find are a little bland compared to BKPs. All of my PRS have BKPs loaded in it and I could not be happier.

6. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

I had a RY bridge in a walnut neckthrough and it was aggressive as hell with tons of growl. Was great for thrash and death metal. Sounded what an alnico Painkiller might sound like. Slightly rounder on the attack and tight but not as tight as the PK. That's through an ENGL Savage 120 and an ENGL FB100.

Gonna depend on the particular guitar and of course amp. Put the RY in my 04 LP and didn't like it AT ALL for thrash and death; it took on a whole other character for the worse in a metal context and that was through the same two amps. But sounds great for classic rock though in the LP!

7. zimbloth

In a Les Paul if youre after thrash/death, you cant go wrong with the c-Nailbomb or Painkiller.

8. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

would a Holy Diver set work well there too?

9. syxx

syxx SS.org Regular

I have a PRS Custom 24 "Floyd". Maple top, Maple neck, Ebony fretboard, and has PRS \m/ Pickups. These pickups are crazy hot and the guitar is very bright. I'm looking to tame this a bit and was interested in Bareknuckle.

I need the bridge pickup to be versatile. I am looking for something that is modern sounding that has just a hint of a classic vibe maybe. I play in a cover band that does 80s-90s hard rock in a modern style (if that makes sense). No crazy low tunings, just half-step down).

The neck pickup... I really like the Air Norton in my other guitars (better than Liquifire). I like the softer top end.

10. zimbloth

Holydiver, all the way!

yeah it would

11. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Hey! Are you in-stock for a calibrated set of The One in black, 6 strings, F-spaced bridge?

It'd be to try out in a Music Man Albert Lee HH, either with the full Rosewood neck, or the PDN one with maple + Ebony neck.... Do you feel that's a decent match?

Sorry for the very generic question! I actually ordered a The One 7 from you a while back but it won't fit the guitar so I'm keeping it for a future 7 strings :)

12. ExileMetal

ExileMetal SS.org Regular

Hi Nick,

Looking to upgrade the DActivators in my RG852MPB. They're ok, but they are shrill in recordings compared to my S5527 with Painkillers. Would PK also go well in this guitar?

13. zimbloth

Hey man :) I would suggest the M6 over the one in the Albert Lee, if going the Lundgren route.

The PK I think would be a tad bright in an ash/maple guitar like your RG852MPB. I would suggest the Black Dog or ceramic Warpigs in there. The Miracle Man could also work.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

Hey Nick what pickup would you recommend for a guitar with a swamp ash body and ebony top, bolt on wenge/padauk neck, and ebony fretboard? The C-pig is a little too bright on the high end in this guitar and I'm looking for a pickup with less treble while still retaining an aggressive high gain tone/crushing wall of sound vibe similar to devin townsend or mastodon. I have it paired with a cold sweat in the neck which I'm going to keep, so something that pairs well with the cold sweat would be great.

15. pott

pott SS.org Regular

This is definitely not for an ultra metal sound; the AL HH is my #1 and I like to keep it versatile. Every description I see of the M6 makes me feel I wouldn't like it :p The guitar is more on the bright than warm side of things.

The website says you're in stock for a single black bridge The One, but what about the set?

16. zimbloth

All the more reason to go with the BKP Black Dog. The One is super hot/metal also. Its not versatile really.

17. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Black Dog... interesting suggestion! Thanks :)

18. zimbloth

NP. Yeah, its low output but has an aggressive tone and great clarity. It works great in 8-strings for this. High output stuff and 8-strings rarely mix well.

19. pott

pott SS.org Regular

I think you may have mixed my question with another :) My question was for a 6 string, more vintage-based guitar, the AL HH, but the Black Dog also seems like a great fit there so all good, and thank you! :D

20. zimbloth

Oops. Yeah, the BD would be great as would the alnico Nailbomb set.