Fox news claims evidence of life on Mars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bostjan, Sep 7, 2017.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Fox news article claims in the headline that evidence of past life was found on Mars.

Before you get too excited, it wasn't, and the article even ends up saying

So, what the article's headline is getting at, is that NASA found traces of elemental boron on the Martian surface. The article then notes that borate compounds are present in some of the macromolecules used by organisms to process ribonucleic acid. Then the article makes the huge leap that this logically means that life existed on Mars. Next, the article quotes someone from NASA saying there is no evidence of ancient life on Mars. Finally, the article throws us a red herring about Space X and Elon Musk.

Nice logic, Fox. :noplease:

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/09/07/life-existed-on-mars-shocking-discovery-suggests.html

This is just about equivalent to finding evidence of nickel in the spectrum of a distant star and concluding that it means that there are people there playing electric guitar, "because nickel wound strings, duh."

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

"The presence of boron tells us that, if organics were present on Mars, these chemical reactions could have occurred." "That means boron was present in Mars groundwater and indicates that the Gale crater, where Nasa's robo buggy is right now, may have been home to life. It bolsters the bizarre theory that life originated on Mars and was carried to Earth on an asteroid. Astronomer Caleb Sharf has previously claimed: "We can find pieces of Mars here on Earth and we suspect that there are pieces of Earth on Mars. "If that material can carry living organisms on it, it's possible that we are Martian."
    Emphasis is my own, and I don't understand what there is to be mad about, the article is straight up saying there's a possibility life could have existed on Mars. Most of the article is spent quoting the study/actual scientists, it's not like they made anything up. Nasa/scientists make extrapolations all the time, the question is whether they can prove or disprove their theory. I remember them claiming to have found some bacteria or such in a glacial lake/ice sample on mars, which they also claimed was a remnant of life on mars, though admittedly I don't keep up on nasa's findings when there's more pressing issues like flat earthers, anti-vaxxers and the multitude of bacteria/mycobacterium strains that are essentially immune to antibiotics.

3. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Written by and for those living life on the assumption that possibility, plausibility, and probability are synonyms.

Edika likes this.
  4. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I totally agree with the addition of certainty if the media outlet is an echo chamber of their deep routed beliefs.

5. bostjan

I never heard anything about bacterial fossils found on Mars.
    The first quote is from the reporter, not from a scientist.

My beef is that the headline is contrary to the information read in the article, clearly newsbait.

Also, elemental boron does not suggest anything with respect to presence of life. It's not manufactured by life, in fact, as an element, it cannot be manufactured by any process other than nuclear fusion, which only occurs in the cores of stars. So, it's much more accurate to say "New evidence on Mars suggests Mars is made of stardust" than to say "New evidence on Mars suggests Mars once housed life." For that matter, popular news outlets emphasize the search for elemental carbon or water as the evidence of life somewhere, when, in fact, neither of those prove nor suggest anything about the presence of life, but they might suggest the possibility of developing some sort of life support system there integrating the raw materials of the environment, although, even that is a little bit of a stretch when it comes to elemental carbon.

Chemical markers that would indicate life would have to be not-rudimentary organic compounds, or heck, even any sort of complex molecule. Elements are the most basic chemical building blocks.

So, if you poured a bucket of legos on the floor, and then looked down and saw a red 2x2 block, and recognized that block as the same kind your kid brother used to build a car out of legos once, the presence of that block does not suggest that your kid brother once played with that bucket of legos.
    On the other hand, if you poured the bucket out on the floor and saw a front right wheel well with a door panel already assembled, then it'd be something to consider a possibility.

The reason I posted here, was because I thought it was obvious that the headline was clickbait and the article itself was devoid of substance. I mean, the article even seems to awkwardly change the topic just to squeeze a few more words in.

6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

"We know that life exists outside of our planet *Possibly* because we found it *probably*"

I mean Im of the opinion there must be other life in space because of how large it is, and how we exist, but this article seems dumb asf

7. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

A few weeks back, when the Boston marches against hate were happening, CNN ran a story with a headline along the lines of "Thousands Unite in Boston to March Against Hate". Fox's headline was along the lines of "Rival Factions March in Boston" and the anchors were talking about how they were waiting for the violent clashes to begin.

Everything about Fox is clickbait for those who already believe Fox's position/message.

8. bostjan

Yeah, well, I expect that in political articles and opinion pieces, but, typically, they had more or less been parroting AP articles without much spin for non-climate-related science stuff. This was the first time I saw them go off the deep end for space aliens. Either my exposure prior was lucky, or their reporting has reached a new low milestone. I guess, since I generally don't look for Fox articles, and their political reporting has been severely biased for so long, neither scenario should be a surprise.

9. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I haven't paid attention to Fox in a long time, so I'm in the same boat. But every once in a while at a family gathering my very conservative, super religious cousins will put on Fox news and its good for a chuckle or two. At least until I realize that some people actually believe that shit.

10. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

You lost me at "Fox News" and "evidence".

Everything I've ever seen or heard from them tells me they are good for nothing but propaganda, pure speculation and straight up horse shit.