Formula One thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by levijaymz, Oct 30, 2012.

1. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

Ehhh to be fair, LH did brake but his intentions weren't to brake check Vet, who had a stupid reaction.
    He could've won the race without that.

Crazy race, so much fun; they should up their "car removing" skills, because it's pretty dangerous.

2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yeah, he braked for the corner.

3. TheTrooper

That's the thing, not sure what's going on, but some people are hiding something.
    On the Live broadcast you can clearly see he hit the brakes, right after the kink(?) that goes downhill; FIA is saying "Telemetry shows he didn't brake"
    Fuck yeah, he did, come on you showed that live :frantic:
    Slowing too much still violates whatever art. of the Rulebook.
    I say it's 50/50 for a penalty.
    Nevertheless, stupid reaction by Vet, but both did wrong for me.

Bottas go lucky too, kerb o not, anyone else would've been penalised.

That's what made the race great, I would really pay to have so much fun every single time.

4. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

There's a good history of the telemetry graphics being out of sync. He slowed down, in the same way as the other restarts, to let the safety car get ahead of the pack. Baku has a very long straight with the pit lane a good distance away from it, and he needs to let the much slower safety car get far enough ahead so that the whole field isn't catching it at 350km/h. The rule is at that point the lead car becomes the safety car, and whenever he speeds up that's when the pack can. You can see this happen in any safety car restart ever, Baku just exaggerates how much space you need to give the safety car.

What happened, very simply, is that Vettel expected Hamilton to be going faster on the exit of that corner. Either because he forgot the safety car was coming in and Lewis was making space, or because he misjudged when Lewis would make the restart. As a result, he piled into the back of Lewis, got really pissed off and decided to pull along side and show his frustration. It'd be really hard to give Lewis a penalty for doing what he's supposed to and getting crashed into twice under safety car conditions. Even if you execute the mental gymnastics required to call the first collision 50/50, the second instance where Seb used his car as a weapon should be a race ban.

Bottas was penalised enough by being almost two laps down when he rejoined the race. Stewards have a good history of consistency on that one, but he potentially could have got a penalty point or two. He was only in it because of the chaos of the rest of the race that Kimi could have capitalised on just as easily.

5. Elwood

Elwood SS.org Regular

Is interesting that the FIA are investigating Vettel again. I don't think anything will come of it but I can't remember the last that the investigated after giving a penalty.

They've definitely got things wrong recently. In the last couple or races someone got an 5 second stop and go, then another for the same incident.

6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yeah, Kvyat was punished twice in Canada.

7. Elwood

Elwood SS.org Regular

Anyone else looking forward to the Austrian GP:

Will Vetted behave,
    Will Hamilton recover from a gearbox penalty,
    Will Verstappen make it to the end of the race!

8. Elwood

Elwood SS.org Regular

I went to the Austrian GP a few years ago and it rained the morning before the race. It caused chaos in the Porsche Supercup racing but was pretty dry for the main event. I think is due to be warm and dry this year, it would be nice for a bit of an upset like rain.

9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

There's talk of rain for tomorrow, and there was a chance for some at the end of qualifying that never showed up. Hopefully will be a good race with Bottas on pole and Hamilton carving his way through from 8th.

10. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Well, that was dull...

11. TheTrooper

Nothing is going to compare to Azerbaijan.......:lol:

Quite interesting Silverstone, we actually made plans to go to the UK for a trip and then go see the GP on the last day, but soon after we made those plans, the terrorist attack in London happened and they I got screwed :|

Previews for Hungary?
    Everybody says ferrari is the favourite, but I have the feeling that one is going to Merc too.

Also, WTF is Kvyat doing, He fucked up the last 2 races badly

12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I don't know about Hungary. A few things at play there. Since it's tight and twisty, it could play into the strengths of the shorter wheelbased Ferrari, but they've been down on power since Baku. Then you've got Lewis coming off a dominant performance in Silverstone, at one of his best tracks. That could more than make up for any wheelbase issues, and Seb has never shown particular prowess in Hungary despite some terrific cars. With tyre issues seemingly solved, it's looking like a very interesting weekend.

I really feel for Kvyat. He had a good start to the year, but when it gets to silly season the pressure seems to get to him. It's a shame because I really like him.

13. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I like Kvyat alot too, just seems down to earth and it helps he is a metal fan or so reported. He has definitely had some bad luck this year, as well as some self inflicted problems, but i root for the guy every race. I'm a bit of an underdog fan, so guys like him and Stroll, who routinely get crapped on by the fans, I like to see succeed. Would love to see Kvyat in the points consistently, being mentioned for red bull or other drives.

14. TheTrooper

Yeah, they are actually doing/limiting the oil you can burn from the Italian GP to the end of the season (and it gets even thighter next season).
    The interesting thing is: back in 2007, Ferrari had the longer Wheelbase vs the shorter of McLaren; the Red car was (from and aerodinamyc perspective) better with the downforce it generated while the Mclaren had more mechanical grip.
    It's the opposite now (so it seems, but stuff changes so damn quickly this year) and we know how 2007 ended, but luck and other stuff comes into play.
    Ferrari won in 2015, so it might be a good sign for the team, but if Vettel doesn't win the season is easily over.
    If they kept the same feel and overall pace they had in Monaco, then it's pretty interesting, because only Spa and Monza are extremely power oriented, while Malaysia, Singapore, Suzuka and Abu Dabhi have waaay more twists and turns.

I really like Kvyat too, but he needs to do something this race.
    Don't know why people talk shit about Stroll, he is getting better (and BTW, it's still a Williams so close to no downforce haha)

15. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Ferrari won in 2015, but not even close to because they had a car that deserved to win that race. Lewis was 7 tenths from Seb in qualifying, and the Mercedes definitely had the race pace. That was just a crazy race and Seb managed a better start than the Mercedes and seemed to be the only one to stay out of trouble.

I like Stroll, too. He was very good before F1, but I think with the faster, more physical cars this year it took a few races to get the hang of it. I imagine if he did GP2 this year and F1 next year, he'd come in looking a lot better. He gets too much crap for being a pay driver. Like Alonso or Schumacher.

16. TheTrooper

You're right, I forgot about that.
    I think Stroll it's a fine driver, getting a podium after less than 10 races is not easy and the Williams is behind the Force India and potentially even behind Renault now, but I'm sure upgrades are coming and moving forward with Lowe on board.

StevenC likes this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I used to love this sport but these days its become an utter utter farce.
    Its more like a soap opera between Drivers and their spats on and off the track.
    Coupled with over tweaking of the rules just "because" and blatant biased from the FIA and you have a clusterf*ck of a sport.

Just a few races ago we had a guy try to intentionally make a rival driver crash, and the FIA and their silly biases basically shrugged it off like it was nothing. In those cars, capable of those speeds, that could have been utterly catastrophic.
    The Rules in general are stupid. The stuff around qualifying is woefully bad and the most stupid rule imo is being punished for mechanical failures.
    "Oh you need a new gearbox before the race tomorrow?. PENALTY, sorry you will have to start in 10th on the grid" or whatever.
    complete shambles.

I can confidently say, I do not miss it.

setsuna7 likes this.
  18. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

To be fair, if you're tasked with building a race car and you don't build one that works, why shouldn't you get a penalty? Not to mention that mechanical failures have resulted in penalties for decades, it's just nowadays we have a lot of people like David Croft, who doesn't understand the sport, complaining about things he hasn't been around long enough to know about.

19. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

That's why I only watch MotoGP nowadays... Iannone blew his engine yesterday. Change to a new bike. No penalties...

lewis likes this.