Forced air paint curing (not drying)

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by LiveOVErdrive, Aug 25, 2017.

1. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

So I'm a pretty impatient guy. When I paint a guitar, I don't want to wait two weeks or more for the paint to cure before I wet sand and buff it out, and yet I have to if I want it to look good. Probably.

I've been trying to find info on whether using a heat gun or a hair dryer or a space heater would speed up the curing process on paint or not, but nobody seems to talk about it. A LOT of people talk about DRYING paints with forced hot air, but little to no info on CURING them (the second step where it sits for a while and gets harder).

Anyone done it?

I'm using water based enamel and water based poly. Both Acrylic.

2. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

In my experience, the paint drying is a quick process. The clear coat is the part that takes weeks to cure.

AxeHappy likes this.
  3. LiveOVErdrive

I guess that's mostly what I was asking about.

4. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Guitar Nerd Vendor

It depends on the product you're using. Nitrocellulose has a long cure time but if you're using modern polyurethanes, you should be good to go after 24 hours. Even faster if you go the UV route.

5. Mr_Mar10

Mr_Mar10 SS.org Regular

Any hints will help me here too.. I've a guitar I clear coated 4+ weeks ago (with too much 2k, granted :p ) it still leaves clothing texture in the clear on 2 patches when i play it. I just want to play the damn thing now . ... don't really want to strip it again this guitar has been a giant pain lol I wish I would've stuck to finishing oil

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

some of the home improvement polyeurathanes really suck and take forever to cure. It took over 2 months for on of my builds to finally harden. Spraymax 2k shouldn't have that problem though...My neck and body I sprayed with it were hard in a day or so.

7. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

i usually just use automotive paint/clear for everything. i can usually wet sand the clear after a few days.

8. LiveOVErdrive

Everything i read is leading me to believe i need to use automotive paint. But i really want to make water based stuff work because it is just way less nasty.

9. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

get a respirator :D and make a small spray booth with old painting drop cloths. thats what i do.

10. LiveOVErdrive

I actually have both of those things. I just really hate cleaning my tools with mineral spirits. Guess i should just suck it up :)

11. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

to be honest, i rarely use my gravity feed gun, as i hate running my compressor. 99% of the time i just use aerosol cans haha

12. Killemall1983

Killemall1983 SS.org Regular

UV cured finishes can be sanded in less than 5 minutes.

AxeHappy likes this.
  13. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

I believe it's a mixture of curing and drying. I have some 2K poly in a water bottle, and it's been sitting gummy and white, while similar thickness in a paper cup crystallized within a day. Same ratios and everything. It wouldn't hurt to try.

14. MoonJelly

MoonJelly brainless and deadly Contributor

In my experience, even 2k gets temperamental in high humidity. I live in the devil's armpit, and while the heat is OK for most paint, when it's 50%+ humidity out there, I get an annoying orange peel texture to the paint as it cures. 70-80 degrees F and low humidity, and I see that Spraymax stuff work like it's supposed to.

Also when you use Spraymax in the cans (which is all I've done), make sure you mix the catalyst for at least 2 minutes before you spray. If you think of it like a 2 part epoxy, that catalyst is the hardener... i.e. if it's not mixed properly the curing will take a lot longer.

15. LiveOVErdrive

I'm going to experiment on scrap with water-based poly over water-based enamel and a hair dryer or space heater and see what I can do. I don't think I've ever done enough clear coats to actually build properly, so maybe a few more coats will help.

I've also got some Aquacoat Waterborne Lacquer in the mail - another water based clear to try.

16. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

I'm going to give the General Finishes water based poly a try. Supposed to be the hardest consumer poly that I can tell so far. Also supposed to dry very fast on its own. Arriving today, and going to use it on my current build once the dyeing is complete.

17. Walshy

Walshy SS.org Regular

Eager to see your results as I'm an oil guy at the moment due to uncertainty with poly finishes.

Anyone doing UV hardening? Just wondering how expensive it gets if you go that route.

18. LiveOVErdrive

So I tried out a hair dryer with varathane water-based floor poly a few days ago and it worked GREAT. I loaded up my gun with the poly and a little water and just alternated spraying a coat and drying it with the hair dryer, and continuing to blast it with hot air even after it was dry to the touch. Put on several coats this way within a half hour or so and then hung it up for a few days to cure.

A few days later I wet sanded and buffed and it came out GREAT. Holds a nice gloss and although I have to go back and work through the grits a little slower (I skipped some and you can still see some swirling) it still looks great. Definitely doing this again in the future. I really like only having to clean my spray gun once.

19. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

Cool! I was thinking the same thing about clean up and spray guns, going to order a proper HPLV gun soon and give this a try with the water based finish I've got on hand. It already dries super fast.

20. LiveOVErdrive

Here it is all buffed out.

[​IMG]

Still not quite professional quality but I think that's just my lack of wetsanding skills.