Floyd Rose and neck radii

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Willtato, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Willtato

Willtato SS.org Regular

I have a Floyd rose equipped guitar, and I've been olaplay it for several years now, and I've always been fine with the action. It just came to me when I was thinking of compound radii.

For Floyd rose locking nuts, for guitars with let's say small radii, so are more curved, so people manually file some metal out, leave it as it is, flat/16" or are there special "curved nuts"?
    Thanks

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Floyd offers different nuts with different radius. They currently offer 10”, 12” and 15”, which should fit 95% of guitars, which are typically built with radius that supports the FR system.

Other manufacturers make thier own locking nuts, like Ibanez who produces 430mm (~17”) and Kahler which has thier own options.

aesthyrian and Hollowway like this.
  3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

And the bridges are typically shimmed at each saddle to match the radius of the FB. The easiest shim to get is to just take a soda can and cut a piece out.

4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

In the case of a compound radius like a Jackson 12-16 inch, would you want to match the nut to the 12" at the lower frets or to the 16" at the end of the fretboard? What about the bridge saddles?

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Compound, better describe as “conical”, radius is to go from smaller at the nut to large at the bridge. So you’d want to match those radii at those specific ends of the guitar.

So if the first fret is 12”, the nut should be 12”. At the bridge, you’d want 16” or greater to complete the “cone”.

Read this: https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onli...pair_and_Setup/Compound_Radius_Explained.html

aesthyrian likes this.