Floyd Rose 8 pro?!!

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by teslasdeathray, Jun 10, 2018.

Should there be floyd rose 8 pro?

Poll closed Jul 10, 2018.
  1. Yup, its time!

72.4%
  2. Nope.

27.6%
  1. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Not to worry, Halo has you covered:
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Halo/Custom-8-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

Let’s all just admire the timeless, classic design of that majestic instrument.

trem licking and Kyle Jordan like this.
  2. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Kind of reminds me of a malformed Dean Cadillac.

And I have to admit, I very slightly like the way it looks.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's ugly, but not nearly as ugly as it should be. :lol:

To be fair though, Halo does offer the usual suspects of electric guitar shapes.

They still want stupid money for them though.

You can get Floyd 8s on Agiles, which offer the same or better quality for cheaper with many of the same options.

4. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Ive been tempted to order an 8-string Halo, but can’t pull the trigger because of so many horror stories.

And honestly if that guitar weren’t 25.5” scale (at least it sure looks like it is from how the pickups are forced to be crammed together), I probably would have bought it just to check it out and because I luv Floyd Rose so so very much.

5. MaxOfMetal

I was able to try out a newer (16') one used. It looked to be more of a production or short run of their super strat shape. It was on par with most Agile stuff. The hardware was cheap and the pickups were generic OEM, but fretwork wasn't bad. Materials didn't seem bad either, but the finish was opaque.

I still don't know if I'd trust a full custom, but I have noticed that horror stories are mostly older.

I will say, playing with their configuration tool is a fucking productivity killer. :lol:

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  6. Kyle Jordan

The Halo and Balageur tools are like instant Missing Time generators. You start, and two hours later you're like "WTF?!"

7. MaxOfMetal

For real. I miss the Montag and Strandberg Swede ones. I spend way too much time on the Suhr one, but it just makes me doubt my order.

When/if Kiesel ever gets one it's game fucking over. :lol:

8. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

I have also played with the halo builder... dangerous game indeed. As already stated, the prices are so absurd that it keeps me in check, but judging from that sample from guitar center posted above they may just be able to pull off something nice these days. mostly though, I'm eyeing ESP to release the next big ranger floyd... they seem the most likely to try it out, with Stephen having a few himself and they are usually willing to get risky on occasion.

9. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

The Halo prices aren’t bad for the level of customization they claim to offer. The same thing from Schecter likely would be about double; maybe triple from ESP.

What worries me is that I believe the guitars are mostly made and painted somewhere in China and then shipped into the States for final fret work and QC, and that it can be a bit of effort to stay on top of them to get what you actually want.

10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

What do you mean? They had one almost 2 decades ago, and people complained it wasn't accurate enough. No need to ever do it again. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG].............[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

aesthyrian likes this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

That's Carvin, I'm talking Kiesel. ;)

12. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Dang it, you guys! Now I want to buy that Halo. That gold hardware looks cool. Though, I do worry about the scale length....

trem licking likes this.
  13. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

just buy and try! heh

14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Can anyone enlighten me on 8 string locking nut specs?

15. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Floyd seems to have the specs wrong in some places. The Floyd 8 nut has around an 18” radius and is about 54 or 55 mm wide.

The Kahler nut is 15” radius and is a whopping 58 mm wide. Plus the strings are placed very close to the edges of the nut, so you’d probably want the actual neck a couple of mm wider than the nut to give you some breathing room.

Ibanez has two nuts. Both are 54 or 55 mm wide. The nicer nut from the 2228 has around a 17” radius. The nut from the RGA8 is something like 15 3/4” radius.

No idea of the Rondo/Agile locking nut, but it looks very wide like the Kahler nut and also seems to have the strings really close to the edges of the nut.

That’s all I can thing of other than the headless stuff.

Kyle Jordan and StevenC like this.
  16. Kyle Jordan

Thanks for the above info on the nut radii.

While I would love to go full custom soon, I may just go back to having a body built for my S8 neck. I was planning for a Floyd and would have to retrofit the nut. Current radius is 400mm/16" and I love the neck feel so I don't want to change it. Going to have to do some digging now for the best solution.

17. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Pretty sure the RGA8 locking nut is 400 mm radius unless Ibanez didn't match the nut's radius to its own fretboard (which I suppose is possible).

I'm trying to put a Floyd 8 onto an RG852MPB and right now I've opted to try it without a locking nut. I've seen some guitars recently that use a locking bridge with a standard nut and people don't seem to complain. I'll report back about how stable it is once it's finally together. If it's a total disaster, I'll try to get a 2228 nut on there.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  18. MaxOfMetal

It won't be too bad as long as you wrap the strings neatly at the tuner and keep friction at the nut as low as possible.

The one thing I've noticed is that big strings, like the 8th, get caught up pretty easily in the nut. It might be worth cutting the slots a little wider than usual and in a "V" configuration to reduced contact points.

It also means dampening sympathetic vibration between tuners and nut can't be done without having the potential to raise friction.

I think the best option is to use a single string style nut, like on headless guitars, mounted to a wooden shelf that's the same radius of the board.

You can also mount a locking nut behind the regular string nut, but that depends on what the truss rod access looks like.

cardinal and Kyle Jordan like this.
  19. Kyle Jordan

I did some quick looking after reading your post and see many RGA8s in the $400 range.

The neck seems to be the same as my S8, including the KTS support rods, with the locking nut. I may just see about buying a used RGA8 for the neck, nut, and bridge. I can experiment on the body too.

20. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Yeah, I’ve been tinkering with a 7-string with a nonlocking trem, and the G and high B do their typical lolololol notcomingbackintune!!!! But the low B is coming back sharp after a dive too.