Floyd Rose 8 pro?!!

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by teslasdeathray, Jun 10, 2018.

Should there be floyd rose 8 pro?

This poll will close on Jul 10, 2018 at 12:53 PM.
  1. Yup, its time!

71.4%
  2. Nope.

28.6%
  1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Who TF translated that?

2. teslasdeathray

teslasdeathray SS.org Regular

I heard funboards help you play faster:)

3. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I assume it's an autocorrect or voice-to-text from "fingerboards"...

4. bostjan

Well, the Italian for fingerboard is "tastiera" and the Italian for keyboard is "tastiera," so I think that the keyboard part was just bad translation, or maybe google translate, but I really don't get where the "funboard" came from.

You know, now I really want a guitar with one of these and a funboard keyboard installed on it! Maybe a little keyboard that makes like a distorted toy-paino-type sound.

groverj3 and teslasdeathray like this.
  5. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

They still have both colors available on their website to order, so they are not discontinued

6. AC.Lin

AC.Lin SS.org Regular

I don't think that's the reason.
    For example, i'm getting bored by my floyd due to the time i lose when i change the strings, or worse, the time i lose for the setup when i change my tuning.
    I'm not slow by all mean, but it's just annoying.
    For someone who changes tuning a lot like i do, it's more of a pain in the ass. And since the today's metal use a lot of stranges and differents tunings, it might be one of the reasons.

At least, that's my reason and point of view.

7. bostjan

What makes it take longer to change strings or change tunings on a Floyd in contrast with another floating tremolo system?

8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, certainly there are legitimate reasons for not wanting a Floyd. I’m just talking about people who post, “no Floyd’s, please. I can’t get those things tuned.” Seems like I see that sentence I log on wtb wtt threads.

9. AC.Lin

AC.Lin SS.org Regular

I said floyd as an example because that's what i use.

Yep, i definitely saw that before. But i assume it's a minority.
    I really think that the hardware fabricated depends on the trending music. And since floating bridges are becoming more and more rares in nowadays trending music, well.... you get my point.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

For me, just the little bit extra with having to pre-compensate for the amount sharp the strings get pulled when you tighten the nut down, combined with needing a special tool (I consider anything beyond my fingers a "special tool") to unlock the strings in the bridge and loosen the nut (and yes, I realize the nut is optional if you are OK with operating it in a manner that is compromised, compared to the full "system")...you pretty easily can change a string on a strat with one hand.

I switch between dropped D and standard way more often than I ever used a trem, so in that case, a Floyd is really no worse than any other trem...but maybe "no floyds" is shorthand for "no trems" since 90% of the time if you're not looking for a Strat, "trem" means "floyd."

11. AC.Lin

AC.Lin SS.org Regular

I second that.

12. bostjan

So Floyd versus hardtail?

I've owned Kahlers and Wilkinsons and Floyds and Parkers, and the Floyd isn't that bad compared to other floating trems, in terms of string changes. Any floating trem is going to be a PitA compared to a hardtail, though. I liked the Parker and Wilkinson systems, but really those never caught on too much in the aftermarket, so it's not a fair comparison.

13. bostjan

Double double post post

I feel like a character from Goodfellas who says everything twice.

[​IMG]

14. AC.Lin

AC.Lin SS.org Regular

No no. I meant floating bridge vs hardtail.
    I talked about MY experience, with MY floyds, because I use floyds ! I would have talked about the edge system if i had one, or any other floating system.
    I wanted to expose the annoyances of going through a lot of string/tuning changes with a floating bridge and the time lost due to that, but also the fact that floating systems aren't popular in nowadays music.

I did not think it was that difficult to understand me :(

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    bostjan likes this.
  15. bostjan

Ok, I misunderstood.

When I used a floating trem of any sort, I always had a backup guitar, even if we were only playing three songs, just in case I broke a string, because, by the time I'd remove the old string, get the new string, search the dimly-lit stage for the piece of my bridge that fell on the floor, find my wrench, install the string, and stabilize the tuning, my time would be up. :lol: Oddly enough, if I changed strings at home, it'd take me ten minutes to change them all. :/

I still love trems, though. Just not as much as I used to, because I switched to multiscale and there weren't any trems for it at the time, and it was just easier to bring one guitar and replace a broken string if I had to.

16. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

If you think it takes too long to change tunings with a Floyd just take my route and buy more guitars :lol:. One for every tuning. TWO FOR EVERY TUNING (you need a backup, I'm not here yet). Besides, who wants to downtune and have your strings be floppy and feel different anyway?

Also, IMHO the best benefit of a locking trem is being able to do a real vibrato with them. On most instruments vibratos go both above and below the pitch of the note. When using bends for vibrato you're only going from pitch to above it.

I've also never been bothered by the normal Floyd fine tuners, and haven't ever felt the need to play a low profile trem. However, I also don't play 8 strings so maybe it matters to you guys? It doesn't bother me on 6 or 7 at all.

teslasdeathray likes this.
  17. teslasdeathray

I like my trems low. It just feels like its in the guitar, and the action isnt so high. Also not gonna lie, I like the look of an Ibanez Lo Pro better that a standard. That FX EDGE on my custom is amazing!

And yes BUT MORE GUITARS!!!! LOL

groverj3 likes this.
  18. teslasdeathray

image.jpeg I like my trem buried:)

image.jpeg

19. teslasdeathray

Of course thats the FX but thats where my FR usually sit.

20. lurè

lurè SS.org Regular

I'd like to have a Floyd Rose on a backup 8 string; a rounder and more moder design possibly.

I used to hate trems but now I 'd like to have at least one 6,7,8 with fixed bridge and a backup with tremolo, just for fun.