Fishman Fluence Pickup Install

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by METAL123, Jul 11, 2018.

1. METAL123

METAL123 SS.org Regular

Ordered a set of Fishman Fluence Modern pickups to replace the Seymor Duncan Blackouts in my ESP Horizon. I will have them installed by a professional but I just need to know what to ask for for the setup. The guitar only has 2 pots, so I'm aware I won't be able to take advantage of all the different tone options.

The active/passive push pull is a must, but I'm also interested in the low pass filter push pull, am I able to do either than or the coil split in addition with a volume/tone configuration?

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

If you want the option to control all 3 separate, then you'd need to throw in a mini toggle of sorts. And that requires drilling a new hole.

3. METAL123

METAL123 SS.org Regular

I don't want to have any additional holes drilled. I want to get as close to what I want with what I have.

I want the active/passive push pull for sure, but also want one more push pull for the low pass filter or single coil. I want those push pull knobs to work for both pickups (I don't need to control each pickup separately, that's what I'll use the pickup selector for). Is it possible to have a 1 volume and 1 tone both with push pull?

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

The only option you have is to have the LPF wired together with either the voicing switch or the coil split.

One push-pull can only control one feature independently.

TBH on the Moderns and the original Classics, the coil splits seem more like an afterthought, which is why there isn't really any focus on them in the manual.

5. METAL123

METAL123 SS.org Regular

So I can't have the tone and volume act as a push pull to control 2 different things?

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

You can have the volume control the voicing switch, and the tone control the LPF or the coil split.

The problem is that if you want to have 3 features, 2 of them will have to be controlled by the same thing. So you'll either have Voicing 1 normal/voicing 2 with the LPF. That or humbucker mode/coil split with the LPF on.

7. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I'm assuming ESP Horizons have a three-way toggle for the pick-up selector switch. If you want all three options, use push-pulls on each pot, and a FreeWay (six position) switch in place of your pick-up selector.

Strobe likes this.
  8. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

Thanks for Sharing, I was not aware of these!

Worth mentioning, the pickups normally only ship with 2 push pulls, which is not even enough to engage all of the features on them. That said, there are some you will probably not even use. The voice switching you are going to want - but after that, your options are:

1) Use the separate switch so you can independently control the voice switching
    2) HF tilt
    3) Coil split

I don't think the moderns really need the HF tilt. What's more #1 is probably not necessary since it's just convenience and does not get you something new. Wire your first push pull to the voice switch, wire your second push pull to the coil split pad, and call it a day.

If you don't want any of the switching options, you can literally just quick connect the pickups in and play them on voice 1 exclusively. This is what I did on my 7 string, and I will probably get around to adding the switching in eventually.