First build - multiscale 7

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Kaff, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

That there is a whole world of interesting. they've put shielding tape around the coils obviously in an attempt to reduce hum... wouldja mind taking a multimeter to the coils... I'd be interested to see what they spec out at... I'd bet good money they're pretty unbalanced...

FYI, I've done exactly as you've done above with slanting the coilsand it's worked out just fine for me. Technically you'd want to repot the pickup after your done but you'll likely be okay.... baseplate looks like painted brass.. easy to source from your local Metalsupermarket or similar....

2. IGC

IGC Guitar farter arounder

Oh yeah, I did that for my first 9 string 2" fan fret build, totally works. Dude from elysian suggested I ground out my pole pieces as well, so another usefull tool while you have the base plate off...If you dont give a shilt like me, have deep enough pickup routes, and your anxoius try things out, make the base plate out of wood and cover it with that copper tape...totally works..

3. Kaff

Kaff SS.org Regular

I decided to try and replicate the original baseplate as best that I could, so I modelled a sheetmetal and tried to fabricate it out of 1mm brass. I could have had it water jet cut before folding, but couldn’t wait for the operator to come back to work so I made the part by hand. A few photos below.

42E2CD76-C61D-4D51-BF08-A2C475BBA39D.jpeg B8BFA24B-4C05-431C-B43C-C67EF36E2303.jpeg

Now I need to paint it black, solder the ground wires and re-install the side tapes and hope it still works.

KR250, skeels, J_Mac and 2 others like this.
  4. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

skeels likes this

BlackMastodon and Kaff like this.
  5. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Definitely interested in this project, I will watch it for now.

Kaff likes this.
  6. Kaff

Kaff SS.org Regular

Finished the pickup. The paintjob is ghetto, and re-used all the original side tapes. Also took a multimeter and checked that everything grounds ok, total measured coil resistance was 15,78 kohms, specified 15,90 kohms so close enough. The separate coils measured 7,92 kohms and 7,88 kohms respectively.

921D9956-A1ED-4652-9244-212DB4ADF73A.jpeg

Also my Hipshot products arrived finally so now I can accurately place all the mounting holes to the body and neck 3D-models.

tuttermuts and KR250 like this.
  7. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

How did the diagonalizing affect your string spacing? The strings/poles being too close together is the thing that has kept me looking at (n+1)-sized, bar/(2n-1) pick-ups for multi-scaled guitars.

8. Kaff

Kaff SS.org Regular

ElRay and Knarbens like this.
  9. Kaff

Kaff SS.org Regular

It's been a while, I've been busy honeymooning with my freshly acquired EBMM JP7. Still, I've slowly made some progress with the 3D-model - re-shaping the body and headstock. I've also started to shape the controls-cavity to my liking. Tone, Volume and a 3-way switch. Either tone or volume pot will be push-pull for coil-tapping. The jack positioning is also still up for debate. I've decided to go for a bottom adjusting truss-rod, and since I haven't found a perfect one commercially, I'm seriously considering making one from scratch. A couple of teasers:

Rend_14.4.18.JPG Rend_2_14.4.18.JPG

Winspear likes this.
  10. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

That looks lovely! Is it the truss rod not reaching to the nut on baritone heel wheel setups that's the issue for you? Have you seen the Fast Guitars / Tao Guitars solution? Just an idea