First build: Gibson/ESP hybrid Explorer

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by failsafe, Jan 7, 2018.

  1. failsafe

    failsafe SS.org Regular

    Messages:
    33
    Likes Received:
    75
    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2017
    I just put the last coat of clear on about an hour ago. I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out so far. It should polish up pretty nicely.

    I thinned out the Behlens 1:1 for the last coat. For the build coats, I used a mix of 2:1, based on some recommendations I found while researching. These ratios seem to work will with my spray setup. I don't really see any reason to change it up for the next build, which of course, I've been planning for weeks now.:D

    Now she just needs to sit and dry for 30 days, and then I get to experience the joys of cutting and polishing!

    note: I use spray booth filters in front of the fans, they were just removed at this point since I was done spraying. I try to be somewhat of a conscientious neighbor. IMG-0422.JPG
     
  2. electriceye

    electriceye SS.org Regular

    Messages:
    1,402
    Likes Received:
    209
    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2014
    Location:
    New England
    Nice. The waiting is the worst part! But, that gives you time to work on the next one. :D
     
  3. LiveOVErdrive

    LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

    Messages:
    933
    Likes Received:
    367
    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    FTFY :D
     
    failsafe likes this.
  4. failsafe

    failsafe SS.org Regular

    Messages:
    33
    Likes Received:
    75
    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2017
    Small update while waiting to polish the clear. Made a cavity cover.
    IMG-0485.JPG
     
  5. failsafe

    failsafe SS.org Regular

    Messages:
    33
    Likes Received:
    75
    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2017
    Another week of waiting to buff out the clear coat and assemble. I had some free time today, so I went ahead and shielded the control cavity. I picked up a roll of .003" copper from Hobby Lobby and glued it with 3M spray glue. Continuity test was good without needing to solder any of the pieces together!
    IMG-0526.JPG IMG-0527.JPG
     
    J_Mac and KR250 like this.

Share This Page