First build: Gibson/ESP hybrid Explorer

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by failsafe, Jan 7, 2018.

1. failsafe

failsafe SS.org Regular

I just put the last coat of clear on about an hour ago. I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out so far. It should polish up pretty nicely.

I thinned out the Behlens 1:1 for the last coat. For the build coats, I used a mix of 2:1, based on some recommendations I found while researching. These ratios seem to work will with my spray setup. I don't really see any reason to change it up for the next build, which of course, I've been planning for weeks now.:D

Now she just needs to sit and dry for 30 days, and then I get to experience the joys of cutting and polishing!

note: I use spray booth filters in front of the fans, they were just removed at this point since I was done spraying. I try to be somewhat of a conscientious neighbor. IMG-0422.JPG

2. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Nice. The waiting is the worst part! But, that gives you time to work on the next one. :D

3. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

FTFY :D

failsafe likes this.
  4. failsafe

failsafe SS.org Regular

Small update while waiting to polish the clear. Made a cavity cover.
    IMG-0485.JPG

5. failsafe

failsafe SS.org Regular

Another week of waiting to buff out the clear coat and assemble. I had some free time today, so I went ahead and shielded the control cavity. I picked up a roll of .003" copper from Hobby Lobby and glued it with 3M spray glue. Continuity test was good without needing to solder any of the pieces together!
    IMG-0526.JPG IMG-0527.JPG

J_Mac and KR250 like this.