First bass for guitarist?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Obsidian Soul, Nov 30, 2018.

1. scratchNdentPrestige

scratchNdentPrestige SS.org Regular

Thanks for that I appreciate the clip! I have to admit I like the G&L at the beginning the best (but might be partly due to the speakers I am listening on).

To me short scale is 30" or at most 32" (which I guess most manufactures call medium scale). 33.5" is the scale my Ric has, and I don't really notice any playability difference from a 34" scale bass. I guess I just don't see any point in paying extra for fanned frets on the Kiesel that goes from 33.5 to 34.5.

2. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Yeah I don't really see the benefit either! It's pretty goofy.

3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

go to a store and try one before you buy please.

BTB's are bigger in everything. Compared to a SR, they have a bigger string spacing 19mm vs 16.5mm, and a wider nut width 47mm vs 45mm. It doesnt sound like much, but you would notice a huge difference once you play it. Thats the reason why I went with the BTB33", as it had those specs similar to the SR line, for what I was used to with other Ibanez basses

The bartolini pickups they have on the standard line sound great (same as mine), but if you get the premium with the nordstrand, thsoe sound sooo much better.... as it had that extra *sing* bite from a single coil

4. Obsidian Soul

Obsidian Soul SS.org Regular

I thought the premiums had Aguilar pickups,and at the $1500-$1600 price point, I might as well save up another $400-$300 for a Dingwall.I'll see if I can find and try out one at Guitar Center.

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall Player

Los Angeles / Nashville / Syracuse / Belfast
    Nut width is different, but string spacing at the bridge is the same. A most modern Fender P and J basses have basically the same nut width (Jazz is 1 1/2", Precision is 1 9/16").

6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

aaahhh yeah yeah forgot they changed that last year with the BTBs only. The SR still got the Nordstrands just like the old BTBs

7. Obsidian Soul

Obsidian Soul SS.org Regular

Do Dingwalls feel similar to an ERG guitar or still more like a bass?

8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

You sure about that? I thought present day Precision basses were 1 11/16.

Edit: Yeah, it looks like the 50s and 60s had the narrower ones, but present day are 5mm wider than J basses. But, to me they feel like they’re HUGE!
    https://musikraft.com/cmspage.php?page_id=22

9. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

To me, they feel like basses. Good basses, though! The most “guitar-like” bass I have is the Ibby SR300. Though, I want to try one of those little Mikros.

10. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

feels like a bass. ITs too big of an instrument to feel like a guitar. Heck not sure what bass would ever feel like a ERG guitar?. Maybe really short scale ones?

but yeh Dingwalls got "standard" string spaciing/nut width. The ones Ive tried they felt "normal" to me. not too tight but not too extended (talking about string spacing here across the neck)

Hollowway likes this.
  11. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

Big +1, I recently got a Stingray SUB5 and love it. I think the closer string spacing forces your plucking-hand technique to improve a bit more quickly as you have less room for error.

A weird recommendation as someone that just made the switch is to consider a bass with 1 more string than you want. For my RSI issues, I found playing a 5 string was nice because I could use the lowest string as an anchor for my thumb instead of a pickup. Sounds dumb but that small change in angle made a big difference when playing songs.

Hollowway likes this.
  12. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I picked up an Ibanez BTB845. It is a shorter, 33" version of the BTB based on the Volo 33. The string spacing and 33 inch scale are enough to feel like a full bass, while being just a bit less of a stretch since I am used to baritone guitar scales around 26.5".

13. TheEmptyCell

The Mikro is fun, sounds really tubby tuned to E standard. Would make a killer tenor or piccolo bass, though (ADGC or octave up tuning).

Hollowway likes this.
  14. TheEmptyCell

They feel like a perfectly designed, superbly balanced, well-thought out extension of your body. Even the Super series, which are arguably Fender-clones, lose all of the shitty clunkiness of a Fender/ other clones. Most players hardly feel the difference between a 37” Dingwall and a regular 34” parallel fret bass

Hollowway likes this.
  15. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

and where is the NBD tread uh????????????

congrats!

and as a owner of a BTB33" the first "volo33" who have change it into a B standard. Get yourself a string pack with a .135 B instead of a .130 (as Im assuming these come with) That would briing your tension same as a 34" with a .130

cool thing that string gauge on a pack is available from most brands

16. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I also love the BTB33 because the shorter scale length makes it a little bit easier to play even compared to 34" standard scale. It's a great bass for a guitarist. Inspired by A-Branger I also converted mine to a low B and it works fine.

Given the choice though, I think I would now pick up the SRMS805 multiscale. I am still holding hopes that Ibanez releases a BTB multiscale with 17mm string spacing because I like the styling of the BTB range much better.

17. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Which is likely to be positioned further back to allow a B to be intonated.
    It is actually, and the intonation offset increases exponentially for lower strings. Plus the OP will be tuning to G which requires .160-.175 so much more intonation offset required than B.
    It's probably designed to allow BEADG, 4 stringers are not.
    BTB neck is thin front to back (not width), thinner than most basses.