finding suitable guitar teacher

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by SloeGin, May 21, 2018.

1. SloeGin

SloeGin SS.org Regular

Hey guys,
    I play mainly rock and metal.
    Stuff i listen to and (want to) learn is AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Randy Rhoads/ Zakk Wylde, Slash, Metallica/Megadeth, Hendrix, ...

I have a question about finding the 'right' guitar teacher.
    Over the years i have taken some lessons mainly from jazz guitar players.
    I learned Caged system, major scale and modes, minor/major pentatonic, harmonic minor scale, etc...

Now i want to take lessons again focussing on technique (my vibrato for example is terrible) and working on songs and solo's. I also want to get a better grasp on modes and improvising.
    But the problem is I only seem to have jazz teachers around here. I have a hard time finding teachers who (can) play the stuff I want to learn.
    Would i still benefit from taking lessons from a jazz guitar teacher or should i look at other options?

Thanks for the advice!

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It sounds like you want more of a "jamming buddy" than a straight teacher. Any teacher worth thier pay can help you with techniques and theory application, both of those are fairly song-agnostic.

That said, shop around. Talk to more teachers in your area. You might find one who you click with better.

3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I know in person is nice, but you should really consider skype lessons. It really opens up options and it's even easy enough to get lessons with famous guitarists (if they teach). Check out my friend Paul Ozz https://paulozz.com/

4. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

I don't see any reason to not go with a Jazz teacher. Working on songs or your vibrato doesn't need a teacher IMHO...

5. Maniacal

Maniacal SS.org Regular

If you feel that your vibrato doesn't sound "metal" enough, get lessons from someone with great rock/metal vibrato. Just like any other technique, vibrato should be isolated, practiced and mastered.

Martin Goulding is a good teacher for this technique. Not sure if he still teaches.

6. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

Luckily on my first try I have bonded with my teacher. We don't like hangout outside of the school he teachers at but, we get along fairly well.

For me though it is kind of sad since my dad's job is either possibly moving or not moving him, and it concerns me because if we have to move, I will definitely miss my teacher and feel a bit sad about it. Hopefully if I do have to move I will find someone as cool and knowledgeable as him.

I would just look around man, and go out and jam with people. Who knows you might somebody who is a jam buddy, but can also teach you the things you want. I dunno just a thought

7. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

It sounds like you’ve had either: teachers that conveyed theory poorly; or you failed to grasp the lessons.
    Jazz is the music of modes and improvisation. If that’s what you really want to learn, there is no better platform. Then you can apply that knowledge to your own song writing however you choose.
    Theory has nothing to do with instruments or musical preferences. Once you know how things work, you can apply it to any instrument in any genre.
    Finding a rock, metal, etc. guitar teacher is awesome for people getting into the guitar. They can lay a foundation for certain techniques used in specific genres. Once your ready to commit to musical “higher education” then find a teacher who can best communicate with you. You’re dealing with the mental side of music when studying theory, and you then apply it to your instrument of choice.

SloeGin likes this.
  8. SloeGin

SloeGin SS.org Regular

I learn alot from youtube tutorials like solos note for note, technique exercices on improving alternate picking, chromatic exercices for strength, endurance and legato but i cant say i m improving like i should. I think i would benefit from a pro judging my playing(style) and helping me improve...