Finding a Guitar Tech

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Matt794, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular

Hey everyone,

I usually try to resolve my guitar issues independently, but I just ruined a fret on a $2,000 guitar, so I'm now seriously considering finding a professional luthier/tech to work on this guitar for me.

I know you can get some basic repair work done at guitar centers, but as far as I know, Guitar Center is the Walmart of music stores, so I'm a little put off by them.

So here's my question; where do you guys go to to get work done on your guitars? Is Guitar Center legit? Should I nut up and try to replace the fret myself? How do I find a competent technician?

I live in Colorado Springs by the way, just in case any of you know a guy.

2. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

3. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

4. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic Contributor

+1 on staying away from GC for any serious work (or basic work, for that matter). Some do actually have good repair/tech departments, but they're extremely rare because good techs don't tend to stay at GC for long.

Don't attempt to replace the fret yourself. You already attempted to remedy the situation yourself and it didn't work out so well. Fully replacing the fret is going to be even MORE involved than whatever you've already attempted (I assume you tried to do some flavor of a spot-level).

On the other hand, if you want to learn to do fretwork, I can recommend great books and videos (the ones I learned with)... but then I suggest you buy used guitar necks off ebay for $30 - $40 to practice on. Don't "practice" on any of your main players.

5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Not OP, but I'm definitely interested in those book and video recommendations.

6. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular

I was thinking of checking some of these guys out too. Fisher Guitar Works seems legit so far so I'll probably email them soon and see what's up. Music Central scares me since I have a friend who took a drum set there for some work and never got it back.

7. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular

I was trying to tap the fret down with a small hammer. It looked like the fret popped out a bit, so I thought I could just tap it a bit to set it back in, but I was just really sloppy i guess.

I'm also interested in your book and video recommendations if you wouldn't mind sharing.

8. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic Contributor

Tapping a fret can indeed do the trick (it's usually the 1st conservative thing to try if a fret is a little high), but having some experience helps. You can dent the fret, tap it too far down, etc. which just creates the opposite problem.

Here's the book and various videos I recommend:

Fretwork Step-by-Step (book)

Dan Erlewine's Fretting Series (DVD's)

Remember, find cheapo used necks on ebay and elsewhere to learn on. Or, even better, find Squire Strats and other cheap starter guitars that people are dumping, so you can actually set the guitar up and check your work afterward. If you do a good job, donate the guitar to a local school, vet program, Goodwill, etc. or just resell it.

9. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular

Thanks my man! I'm definitely gonna check those out.

I actually have a Squier Strat that I never play anymore that's ripe for some modifications. I think I might let that be my practice guitar.

10. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular

Alright, I know I'm kinda necrobumping my own dead thread here, but I want to update this just in case anyone stumbles upon this thread when googling guitar techs in Colorado Springs or something.

I took my guitar to Fisher Guitar Works last week and had it evaluated. I was told my dead/dinged fret could be fixed by having the frets dressed, and that I didn't need to get the damaged fret replaced. I only had my guitar over there for a few days before I was told it was ready to be picked up. The ding was completely filed out and the high fret is perfectly level now. The guitar is no worse for wear than when I dropped it off either.

In the end the repair cost me $160; $20 for consultation, $140 for the fret dressing.

I'm glad that fret didn't have to be replaced, because strandberg apparently uses some very unique fretwire on the Boden OS models. I couldn't find stainless steel fretwire anywhere that matched it's dimensions exactly.

NickS and LiveOVErdrive like this.