Fender MIM 5 String Jazz Bass for Metal?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Rotatous, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

I did contribute by saying you can find a used real deal warwick for the price of a new rockbass
    I didn't bash anyone contribution i just made fun of the guy in the video, it wasn't directed at you specifically
    And if you did check my posting history (stalker :lol:) you'll find that while i do shitpost and meme from time to time i also do post some actual advices.
    And yes, i do know warwicks, i briefly owned one from the baseball bat neck era, the tone was hella good, but the neck wasn't for me.

Now to op, like i said you can find a used warwick in your budget (900$ guessing by the link you posted) but if you're sold on a JB, i'd recommend you to check out for a used sadowsky or mike lull, might be a bit out of your budget but it's definitely worth it. Or just go with the fender, they've been making solid 5 string basses for a few years now.

2. TidusX

TidusX SS.org Regular

Out of pure curiosity: what don't you like about the Ibanez in a recording environment? I was just looking a used one for 200 bucks (although pretty beat up) and the bartolini pickups caught my attention...

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

There kind of "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of basses. So they're very flexible, but if there's a specific tone you're really after, it can be a little difficult to dial in just right.

At least that's how I always felt about the lower end SR basses. I had an SR506 for many years. It was comfortable to play, and a safe bet for almost any situation, but I never loved the tone.

Beheroth likes this.
  4. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

Those are actually the weakest link of those basses, those aren't "real" bartos, they're mk1 aka cheap oem pickups sold in low/mid tier ibanez/cort basses.
    Replacing them is worth it though, as the sr500 series basses are well crafted and made out of more than decent woods

edit : also the preamp is crap

5. NeglectedField

NeglectedField SS.org Regular

I played a Squier VM '77 Jazz Bass for a 4-day tour with my friend's Darkglass B7K and it sounded plenty metal. Especially through an Ampeg 8x10. Christ, the growl.

6. Rotatous

Rotatous SS.org Regular

For me I’m just bored of the tone I’m getting out of it, and kinda feel the same as what MaxofMetal said about it. I’m just not ever crazy about the sound, it’s a very nice bass though and it plays awesome, actually one of the better playing basses to me, still get some buzz. I just want to try some new things in the bass world, who knows, maybe I’ll have another SR someday.

7. Rotatous

Rotatous SS.org Regular

To be honest after reading a little more into it I’m heavily considering a 35” scale bass like a Lakland, which seem to get nothing but good reviews, however seem a bit pricey for an Indonesian instrument.

Beheroth likes this.
  8. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

i have a dual J Lakland 5'er and it is one of the best basses i've ever played. it's a murican one though, and i got a sweet deal on it.

i dunno if that will help you, i just felt like bragging

NickS likes this.
  9. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular