Fender Meteora: a new design by Fender

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by AC.Lin, Nov 7, 2018.

1. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

I need an HH version, like they previewed in the video.

2. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I hate to be that guy but I really don't get it? Yeah it's a new shape (I'm not super into to it but to each thier own) but the pickup config/hardware is just more of the same. I feel like every "new" model from fender these past few years is just a remix of thier existing body shapes & hardware configurations.

I feel like it would be cool to see them dip back into the HM or Contemporary stuff from the 80's/90's. Hell maybe even get inspired by some of the old Heartfield stuff. I know that the super strat market is over saturated right now and they already have charvel doing doing that sort of thing, but I feel like people would be into it.

Or just bring back the toronado.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I don't understand why every brand has to build every kind of guitar.

It's like going to a fine Italian restaurant and getting a cheeseburger. I'm sure they can make an awesome burger, but why not go down the street to the place that specifically makes great hamburgers?

Specialization in an industry like this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Fender should focus on making great Fenders, not decent Ibanez'. Which is what I think this guitar does, it captures a lot of the elements that are classic Fender while being something kind of new.

The shred/metal guitar market is already pretty saturated, so it's not like it would bring an element of competition that doesn't exist and they'd be fighting their own Charvel and Jackson stuff.

4. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

I think it looks great!

I've had a random Jazzmaster GAS kick lately and this isn't too far off that. I'd definitely check one out if they aren't crazy expensive.

5. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

6. Kaura

Kaura #Make:cool:SmileyCoolAgain

Ikr, maybe they can get away with this shit for now but 10-15 years from now on when all the older people who probably makes the biggest chunk of consumers for Fender stop buying guitars and younger people simply go to other manufacturers since they have more interesting stuff to offer (like 7-string strats and teles) then Fender will start facing some problems.

7. MaxOfMetal

Eh, people have been saying this for decades.

The fact is, even amongst younger players, Fender is still incredibly popular, and probably always will be, at least while we're alive.

That's not even considering what a behemoth FMIC is, owning Jackson, Charvel, Gretsch, EVH and of course Fender Amps.

Let's not forget that stuff like fanned frets, wood alternatives and more strings have gone in and out of popularity since the 80's.

Kyle Jordan and budda like this.
  8. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Yeah, most younger players aren't playing ERGs or fetishizing the specs a lot of people on this niche board care about. You see the indie and alt country types playing Fenders all the time if you walk in to any coffee shop or bar that has live music. Same thing in any Guitar Center, plenty of young people trying out Fenders or Squires.

couverdure and budda like this.
  9. The 1

The 1 SS.org Regular

There's a reason why most of the guitars you see in music stores are fender/gibson or copies of, while they might carry like at most one 7-string. Gotta remember SSO is a very niche demographic and extremely small subset of the rest of the guitar world.

stevexc likes this.
  10. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

I definitely kinda like it but it lacks the identity of other fenders that makes them appealing to me. but that's just me and I'm sure this is somebody's wet dream in guitar form.

11. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

A Jazzmaster and an Explorer had a baby?

12. fps

fps Kit

Seems a little harsh in tone at points. They were using it in the videos for a gritty wash kinda sound, but it sounded nicest on cleans with a spongier tone to it.

13. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I like it. Though weirdly enough, the whole guitar reversed looks better to me.

14. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

I'm generalizing a bit here, but people who buy Fender are usually traditionalists; they buy proven designs with a long history and they know what they're getting. Fender wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel or stray too far from their current lineup since FMIC has brands like Jackson and Charvel to serve as more experimental and progressive platforms.

15. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

If you look at the history of those companies you'll see Jackson has been pretty homogenous for their entire history while Fender used to do a lot of wild stuff in the 70s and 80s. Some of it stuck and some of it didn't. And those innovations were more than just putting a weird body on a standard tele or strat. Fender has the bandwidth to do both and have it be credible. Jackson under Fender may have the resources but people expect a way more specific and narrow range of stuff from Jackson than they do from Fender.

16. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

It's pretty cool, I'd probably buy a thunderbird over it, though.

17. MaxOfMetal

History aside, as company ownership and leadership has changed significantly for both Fender and Jackson/Charvel, in the present, FMIC is using Jackson to push more contemporary models, namely 7 and 8 string extended scale guitars. It's been that way for a number of years now, and I don't see that changing.

Let's be honest, when most people here ask for something "new" or "modern" from a company, they're asking for relatively vanilla "metal" guitars. :lol:

The 70's and 80's were a very interesting time for the big American guitar manufacturers. They were finally feeling pressure from the Far East and the rise of technology in consumer life in general at that time pushed them to develop new and exciting, if not that great, guitars. Interestingly enough, that was also around the time that "vintage reissue" stuff came about.

But, back to the present, the main driving force of innovation at FMIC has almost always been the Custom Shop. Many of the newer more modern features started there before making their way to the production stuff. With Ron Thorn now in the Principal Master Builder role we might see some interesting stuff.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  18. pecado

pecado SS.org Regular

19. fps

fps Kit

Jim Root is such a good guitarist. That was a great demo, I think the clean tones are excellent, interesting the heavy distortion sounds so good as well.

20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

black open pore finish, with dual EMGs and ebony fretboard with no inlay signature model incoming?