Fender Jazzmaster Jim Root Signature

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by GearReplacer13B, Mar 26, 2015.

1. GearReplacer13B

GearReplacer13B SS.org Regular

I have owned my JR jazzmaster for a couple months now and it I can say that is the best playing electric I have ever owned. Other guitars I have owned that I can compare it to are LTD EC-1000, Gibson LP studio, schecter C1 classic and Ibanez SZ 1000.

The first thing that I noticed was the comfort while standing up. The contours on the back and where my arm rests on the body feel very nice and make the hefty weight tolerable for me. The neck is very nice and smooth and a little thicker than I expected, which for me, is a good thing. The guitar is well balanced and stays in place when I take my hands away.

I gave it 4 on the features rather than a 5 because it only has one knob for volume. For me that isn't a problem and for most players looking at purchasing it the simplicity appeals to them as it does with me. Aside from that it is well equipped with strap locks and locking tuners.

The sound from this instrument is awesome. It comes with an EMG 81 60 set and you probably know if that is your thing or not. Despite what people say about EMGs and active pups in general I find it easy to get good distorted and clean sounds by adjusting the volume and selecting the right pickup for what I am trying to achieve. Thanks to the tone woods and the solid craftsmanship this guitar really sings and sustains very well. Bends and harmonics are effortless (if you have good technique) and it makes playing very enjoyable.

Fit and finish are superb. The stainless steel frets are shiny and level with no sharp or protruding edges. The guitar is super clean I don't know what else I can say about that.

I can't speak on reliability or customer service much because I haven't had any issues with the instrument. I can tell you that it stays in tune very well considering my heavy handed, aggressive playing style.

I give it a 4 overall for sake of review due to the lack of bells and whistles like a Floyd and a bunch of knobs and toggle switches. If you are like me and prefer fixed bridges and controls then go ahead and consider it a 5 overall. This guitar is good enough to make me a Fender man so don't hesitate to check one out. I had to order mine online because I couldn't find a store that stocks them. It was well worth the risk.:hbang:

2. GearReplacer13B

GearReplacer13B SS.org Regular

Sorry I made a mistake the Ibanez is an SZ 720 my bad