Favourite multiscale length for 7 string standard tuning?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Flappydoodle, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I'm thinking 24.75 to 26.5 could be cool? Little bit of extra tension on the low B, but nothing too crazy.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I’ve played 25.5” to 26.25”, 25.5” to 28.265” and a 25.5” to 27” and found all to be plenty comfortable. Even the smaller fan, on a Strandberg Boden, was noticeable as far as increased tension on the 7th string.

Tuning and parallel fret placement relative to what you’re going to be playing makes a big difference though.

A-Branger and KnightBrolaire like this.
  3. Flappydoodle

Thanks. 25.5-28.265 sounds really extreme. Almost 3 inches.

I'd be wanting maximum versatility, so parallel fret around the 9th would be best (I think?)

Tuning would be BEADGBE, or one semitone down from that. Nothing more extreme.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It actually wasn’t too bad in person. Some stretches on the lowest frets was awkward, but it was totally playable.

I played a Novax style guitar that was 27.5” to 30.75”, and combined with bass strings on the low three it seemed like a monster.

Can you try out any of the production stuff? The rather conservative fans on the Ibanez fanned models is a good introduction.

Seeing as you’re not looking to tune crazy low or high, maybe go with a smaller fan at first.

I will say, I’ve never had any problems adjusting to different multi-scale setups. It comes pretty naturally.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I find 25.5 - 26.25 perfect for B standard. It has that little bit of extra tension and clarity on the lower wound strings but only a .125 increase from one string to the next so it's just the E and B strings that feel a small bit longer than a regular 25.5" guitar. You can also drop a gauge for the low strings and still retain similar tension, 59 down from 60, 62 down from 64. With the 9th as the parallel fret the fretboard only slants a small bit and the bridge takes most of it.

I find anything longer than 26.5 a little uncomfortable to play so this scale feels much more natural to me.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  6. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Approved. :agreed: I always like shorter scales on the high strings and 26.5" is good tension wise for the low B...

Flappydoodle likes this.
  7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

My eight (tuned with low B and high A) is only 26" on the low B, and it's always been great to me. I will admit, though, that my 28 3/4" low B is a lot clearer and brighter. A little extra scale length goes a long way, IMO.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  8. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

I would go for something like 26" or 26.5" on the bass side and a regular 25.5" on the treble side.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  9. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

I think 25.5-27" is great although I imagine a smaller fan like that of a Strandberg would feel even better ergonomically. As it's been said, a little extra tension does add a lot of clarity but I think even 25.5" is quite sufficient for Standard, Drop A, and probably Drop G at the lowest as long as you have a good amp/pickups.

24.75-26.5" sounds heavenly though actually.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  10. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

I've played Strandberg and Kiesel multiscale 7s and preferred the smaller fan on the Strandberg; both offer a big enough difference to keep the low B string tight even if you're in drop G, but if you like to play vertical legato runs from the low to high strings, the 27" scale at the top string can be tough. That said, I have medium-small hands so the issue might just be my reach.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  11. Flappydoodle

Can I ask what those scale lengths are?

Strandberg 25.5 to 26.25?

Kiesel, I have no idea

12. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

Yeah you’re correct about the Strandberg. Kiesel is 25.5-27 for the 7 string.

13. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I found the strandy to have a really comfortable fan. I tuned to standard and I usually hate anything longer then a 25.5, but found it to be a non issue with that one.

14. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

25-26.5 makes a stock 10-59 set perfect for me

Flappydoodle likes this.