Fans of Big Iron, Gather Here

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by budda, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Every time a company get a new Lunchbox amp out, I'm wondering "yeah its all cool and everything, but where's my Marshall Major reissue?"

The lowest wattage tube amp I've owned was an Orange Dark Terror. As much as the voicing of the sound was very nice, I grew tired of the EL84 sound and lack of headroom. Since I took the plunge into amp building, I always aimed for the highest wattage available. I tried different versions of master volume too and found out that the hate toward the sound of certain high-wattage amps at low volume can be directed to that particular element, although some amp seems to react differently to different kind of master volume.

Right now, I own the following amps:

- 100w Ceriatone Overtone HRM100 MKII (with London Power's Phase Invert Master Volume kit)
    - 100w Weber 8CM100 (with 1Meg pot PPIMV)
    - 50w Bruce Egnater's Boutikit (with Pre-Phase Inverter Master Volume)
    - 50w Traynor Bassmaster 1973 model (with 250k pot PPIMV)

And I plan to build the following amps:

- 100w C3Amps SLO100 Clone
    - 100w Ceriatone AH100
    - 200w Marshall "The Pig" Major

budda likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

I haven't owned a ton of big heads (triple rec, xxx, dual rec, mkiv) but I really enjoy the big punch in the gut from palm mutes/chugs and the extra headroom they tend to deliver. My mesa f30 can recreate the low end punch to an extent (at least when I crank it up a bit), but it can't deliver on the headroom aspect. I ended up ditching all those amps (besides the mkiv and f30) because they were fucking heavy and I wasn't getting much use out of the extra headroom at local gigs/playing at my buddy's house.
    The triple rec was one of the most bowel shaking bat shit insane amps I've ever played cranked. I kind of miss that amp, but i'm pretty dead set on getting a revv 100p or mi gamma 120W next.

3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

For you 5150/XXX owners, have you ever tried the "fx loop jumper boost" trick (my shitty name)?

I discovered this one when I had my friend over with his epi valve jr (5W class A). I had two 412's and the JSX, and we wanted to compare his dimed Jr to the JSX for volume. That was the day we learned how loud 5W can be :lol:.

That little guy kept up. I was wondering how on earth something with such less wattage could keep up in volume (not gain) with my firebreather. I learned that if you max out the send and return on your empty loop and engage it, you essentially get full power. This noticeably changed the tone and volume of the amp. I think I ran it that way up until I sold it.

I always wondered if that trick worked with 5150's as well - it should work with a triple X.

There was a marshall major for sale in Toronto for $2K or so, but I didn't want to try it out and then need to flip gizmo to buy it.

Has anyone checked out the new Emperor 100W head?

IGC likes this.
  4. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Spaceman Music shop (in Ottawa I think) had a Marshall Major Full Stack (amp w/ 2x 4x15" cabinet) for sale a couple of months ago. The 5k$ price tag, as legitimate it was, was a deal breaker ahah. Reason I'd rather build myself one, its just hard to find some good 200w transformers without having to go custom.

budda likes this.
  5. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I got so excited by your 2203 I forgot to mention my own boys.

JCM 900 SLX 2100 100 WATT
    EVH 5153 100 WATT

and have huge amp gas for the Mesa JP-2C or if I find a good deal I'd grab a reborn triple rec. Helix does all my low volume work for me.

budda likes this.
  6. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

I learned early on that the 100+ and usually 120+ heads tended to be my favorite sounding amps. In fact, if I made a list of my favorite amps that I've owned or wish to, most would be 150+.

There's a combination of headroom, sonic width and depth, and overall clarity that really stands out and is sadly very difficult to capture on recordings.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be moving to either a Fryette Ultra Lead or Diezel Herbert next even if I have to sell my Mark IV. I hope I don't have to, but I may have to for extra funds on the next amp. Plus, as much of a Mark series sycophant as I am, I've been searching for something that I don't think is in the Mark series. Sadly, I know I'll be making some tradeoffs for things I do love if I move away from them. I may be able to replicate those in other amps though. I guess I'll see.

7. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

At 64 pounds... I haven't found anything with bigger iron... the OT/PT are MASSIVE.

[​IMG]

The mighty Diezel Herbert.

Honorable mention:
    Mesa MK3 Coli
    HiWatt DR405

8. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

^That is sexy.

Wizard of Ozz likes this.
  9. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

Only owned a triple rec which I sold for a Powerball 2.
    Couldn't dial in a decent tone without sacrificing hearing.
    I just love the amount of headroom and punch 100+W amps have and, owning a 412 oversize cab, I don't see myself playing through a lbx amp.
    I like the possibilty to switch to lower wattages for bedroom usate, but for live playing I want to blast my amp loud af and have max headroom and punch.

10. IGC

IGC Guitar farter arounder

From way back in my live band days:
    -Randall RH 200 - 200 watt head, still own 12 years?
    -Marshall Valvestate Bi Chorus 200/ 8200, still own 22 years?
    -4 X 12 Randall XL cabinet all stock Celestions, still own 12 years?
    -one vintage 1975 4 X 12 Peavy cabinet with 2 Eminence legends/2 Eminence Swamp Thangs-owned
    -one unknown brand 4 x 12 cab with 4 Celestion G12 K100's -owned
    -one newer 4 x 12 Marshall cab with stock Celestions don't remember the model-owned

I used to daisy chain my Randall head through my Marshall head and run through four 4 x 12
    cabs simultaneously. I loved that! Only issue was the different EQing for the different cabs but
    otherwise it was loads of fun and I didn't have any problems drowning out even the drummer
    at practice and maintaining good sound/ tonal clarity/ crunch etc..
    I did end up having to open the backs of my cabs up with the Randall head to
    alleviate speaker rumble at high volumes, when just playing with a single 4 x 12 cab.

11. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

The 5150 doesn't have send or return level controls, so bridging them with a patch cable won't do anything different. However, if you use the amp's footswitch to bypass the FX loop (it's always on unless switched off by the tip of the footswitch jack) the tone opens up and the bottom end is tight and ruthless.

This Lasse Lammert clip is of his SLO100 with and without the loop engaged, and the difference with the 5150 is at least as noticeable as this. It makes a huge difference in feel as well.

12. budda

It's interesting that the tone would open up with the loop disengaged as opposed to become more compressed.

13. NateFalcon

NateFalcon If you’re lying...I’ll be back

My XXX/3120’s don’t respond to the “jumper trick” much more than placebo to my ears, just like a boost out front, they got so much preamp voltage going on that they don’t respond too well...a Valveking essentially needs one to get the preamp gain to “metal” levels

14. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I wasn't expecting it, but I guess it makes sense with less things in the signal path :shrug:

Now I just need to figure out how to get that tone all the time with a better or modded FX loop :lol:

15. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

I love the 100w heads that sound awesome at lower volumes. My EVH 5153 Stealth sounds just as good at low volumes as it does when playing with the band.

My reborn recto, on the other hand, does not sound as good at lower volumes, even when its on 50w, it still needs to be pushed a bit to get the most out of it.

I really dig the extra oomph and headroom that 100w heads have to offer.

Btw, i really dig your Gizmo amp!

budda likes this.
  16. budda

I noticed it immediately with the JSX, however I probably ran less gain than you :lol:.

17. IGC

IGC Guitar farter arounder

A few months ago I got together with some old friends for a jam and one of them had this new little Fender Mustang like 8 inch x 5 watt. That thing could keep up with the drums and still sounded quite good. We were all pleasantly surprised.
    JSX = firebreather? Agreed, I love that head! Gonna get one before I die. Another jam friend has one and my dimebucker sounds so good on that thing.:tmm:

18. NateFalcon

I think the XXX has considerable more voltage and gain in the preamp than the JSX...my Engl Savage 120 I used to own hade the same issue with trying to boost -I think Peavey’s loops on their REALLY high heads have the same effect

budda likes this.
  19. NateFalcon

NOBODY runs more gain than me it seems lol

20. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Another "mostly home player with a Twin Jet" here.

TBH, I find that even at home-friendly volumes (but not apartment friendly per-se, I generally run my TJ with channel volume at about 10:30-11:00 and master at about 10:00), the big high-wattage monsters just sound better than the small amps do. Punchier, tighter, ballsier, more "together".

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.