Fanned 40"-37" Kalium Guitar Works Quake. Production run of 5 Quakes

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by ixlramp, Dec 10, 2016.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Either Kalium themselves (who are, I suppose, the #1 supplier of ridiculously thick strings), or from Garry Goodman or another small string maker dedicated to ERB.

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Newtone in the UK will make all sorts and go up to extreme lengths over 40 too :) Their guitar strings aren't cheap but the .200 bass set I bought was very affordable compared to what I'm used to

3. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Yes, from what I've seen it's very expensive, especially ordering from outside the US. I do think it would be cool to have such a thing to toy around but not cool enough to be worth the cost for me personally. Which is why - to come back to Dick - I'd be happy if Meshuggah used something like this as it would greatly increase popularity and therefore cause more offerings for a better price. I guess.

4. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I hope so. I tune to F#0 at 35" but I want E0 at least, but the .182 doesn't go that low for me and I don't want a quad-wrap string. Still, $35US~ a pop is very expensive, plus postage to Australia. ...Plus the rest of the strings, and the guitar strings. Worth it, though.

5. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

The Letts Basses 13 string used custom Rotosounds, lowest was .240 and around 39" length.
    Pyramid of Germany can make up to .200 on request, not sure about their maximum scale length though.

bostjan and I play music like this.
  6. saved

saved SS.org Regular

I have talked on the past with a few european string manuficators.
    The most of them have minimum order a few string sets,and thats becomes more expensive.
    For me the best solution in EU is newtone strings.
    I am dealing with them at least 4 years in many gauges and lenghts

I play music likes this.
  7. I play music

Didn't think of Pyramid, might be worth looking into them!

8. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

2nd batch of production Quakes are being made, here's the first red one.
    Note the saddle blocks are intentionally reversed because, due to the break angle, the force on the saddle is angled slightly towards the headstock. This creates a more solid and stable support for the string.
    Also note the string tapering point is close to the saddle, Kalium Strings of course.

37568777_1881473041908842_2764280370915442688_n.jpg

I found an image and made a meme:

2e6qje.jpg

9. saved

saved SS.org Regular

What kind of pickups does it have?
    Looking for some nice soapbars to replace the artec my vig cobra select-5 has on it

10. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Specs for this batch:
    "The bass will be alder-bodied with a maple neck, completely passive and will come in a Protec gig bag. Your choice of trans-red or black, Nordstrand silent Jazz or humbucking pickups, parallel or fanned frets."

Winspear likes this.
  11. BryanBuss

BryanBuss SS.org Regular

Guys! I bought this quake! Literally the one in this video.

http://geargods.net/namm-2017/namm-2017-kalium-quake-bass/

I emailed Skip to see what he wanted on hand, turns out he was willing to part with “Coco”. I may alter the spelling to Koko in memory of Koko the gorilla.

I have wanted a quake for about 11 years, and after trying E0 on my Dingwall Combustion, it just didn’t cut it. So I listed my Dingwall in Reverb, and now I await the Quake In the mail!

It’s so hard to find videos on the Quake, so I promise to do some.
    When it lands, I’ll post some photos.

12. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Ah, very cool. I almost got that too, but ended up with the pink to purple burst one from the original batch of 5.

I kind of wish I'd have waited til the production run, as I could have saved some money, but I guess that's the bane of the early adopter.

13. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

BryanBuss that's good to know.
    There is a lack of good recordings of very low Quake pitches so any would be appreciated.

I have found samples of a production Quake tuned to very low C# F# B E A used with overdrive. I don't think the artist created a particularly good tone from the instrument but it works well in a mix. Use headphones or good sound system to hear the low pulsing from the bass.
    In a mix https://soundcloud.com/insaniarecs/kalium-quake-riff?in=insaniarecs/sets/kalium-quake-bass-5-test
    Bass only https://soundcloud.com/insaniarecs/...?in=insaniarecs/sets/kalium-quake-bass-5-test

I play music likes this.
  14. I play music

Those samples are actually good! Kinda makes me wish that Dick from Meshuggah actually used his Quake bass for Meshuggah stufff ;-) Excited to see what BryanBuss will do with his :agreed:

BryanBuss likes this.
  15. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

Whoa. The way the overdrive interacts with the ultra-low frequencies makes some of the notes sound wildly different from each other. I think his drive settings and pick attack would benefit from a little more subtlety, but it still certainly adds something cool to the mix.

16. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

O4P_ESSC_412_F000_480.jpg

Thought i'd post this here since it doesn't much deserve a new thread.

This is a photo from the Octave 4 Plus FB page of their custom 'Extreme Super Subcontra' set.
    The lowest gauge is a .412 (the largest bass string gauge i know of) and is for tuning to F000 (5Hz).
    F A# D# G# C# F# so it is the sequence of 6 strings in standard tuning below a bass low B.

But before we post about how the lower strings are musically useless, i think most would agree, even O4P. It is a rare custom set so someone is doing some extreme sonic experimentation and 'envelope-pushing', which is good. O4P only list gauges up to .270 (for roughly standard G#00 13Hz) on their site which shows their own opinion of practical maximum gauge. Likewise Kalium consider their .266 as difficult to surpass while keeping a reasonable standard of string behaviour, and prefer to go longer instead of thicker after this.

17. I play music

What bass are those strings for?

18. BryanBuss

BryanBuss SS.org Regular

Your quake is so, so cool! I’ve been eyeing it up for the last little while, and it really was the final push! How have you been utilizing it? Are you tuned to a low C#? I can’t remember now.

Hollowway likes this.
  19. BryanBuss

BryanBuss SS.org Regular

Oh thanks so much for sharing these! Great clips. I like that insaniarecs also posted a version of the song without the Quake bass. It’s almost unlistenable without the crushing low end. Haha!

I have a friend who loves making test videos under his YouTube page “ Wilkinson audio”. I am absolutely going to do some tests with my new Quake. :)

I can’t wait!

20. BryanBuss

BryanBuss SS.org Regular

I totally agree, that would be so heavy! I hope they try it.

So I have been playing a lot of postrock / ambient music for the last 8 years, but actively still listen to a lot of metal, prog, whathaveyou. So my next album I am going to attempt to mix these elements together. It will be fun, but will probably take a while. I’ll post some stuff in this thread once I get going on it :)

I play music likes this.