Fanned 40"-37" Kalium Guitar Works Quake. Production run of 5 Quakes

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by ixlramp, Dec 10, 2016.

1. saved

saved SS.org Regular

@eggy in a bready is it possible to record a view bass lines with the F and the B (include open strings) to hraer that bass?but not with miced cab and the less procesing possible?
    And please,give us a foto of the headstock from the side

2. saved

saved SS.org Regular

@eggy in a bready is it possible to record a view bass lines with the F and the B (include open strings) to hear that bass?but not with miced cab and the less procesing possible?
    And please,give us a foto of the headstock from the side

3. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

eggy in a bready good to see you have one of these.

I feel like investigating the advantage of the scale (using the Kalium tension calculator).

For a tight 39 lbs tension B on a 34" scale you would need a .136.
    For the same tension on 40" you only need a .114.
    You gain flexibility from a smaller gauge, however the extra length helps too.
    I will consider string flexibility to be roughly determined by the ratio of length to gauge.
    For a .114 on a 40" scale it is 40 / .114 = 351.
    This is equivalent flexibility to, on a 34" scale, 34 / 351 = .097 gauge, a light E string.
    A 40" scale gives you a tight B with the flexibility, and therefore clarity, harmonicity and tone quality, of a standard length light E.

This is surprisingly effective, i had not expected such a good result.

Winspear likes this.
  4. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

5. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

.. and the email address to contact is CustomerSupport@KaliumLLC

6. Fathand

Fathand Tube Snake Boogie

For some strange reason I'm tempted by this offer. It's radically different to what I've played before, or play now but....

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  7. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Apparently 4 of the 10 have sold, 2 weeks left for the price offer.

8. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Ola Englund's VLOG in the Meshuggah studio:
    3:00: Kalium Quake 5 string with no strings. Actually it's an older Quake from Knuckle Guitar Works days.
    7:34: Kalium Strings 5 string set 40" scale, from a low A00 14Hz, gauge .266. "Strings for Dick's new bass".

9. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Where do you have that A00 14Hz thing from? Does he say this in the video?
    If that's correct, I really wonder why he chose that tuning, for me it would make the most sense to just tune it to F, one octave below the gutars :scratch:

10. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Agreed, I'm surprised he'd be tuning that low if experimenting with this for Meshuggah. But I suppose it could be an entirely personal thing. With a .266 it's quite certain he IS going that low though!

11. I play music

Ah, yeah just noticed it says "A tuning" on the package.

12. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

If used for Meshuggah i expect it would be for recording the more experimental bass lines, he probably prefers a normal bass scale for the usual riffing. On the last album sometimes i seem to hear some very low bass frequencies, not sure. They do experiment and detune their guitars sometimes.
    Skip, the guy behind Kalium strings and basses is a huge Meshuggah fan and has been in contact with Dick for a long time.

Winspear likes this.
  13. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

For those not on FB, the story is:
    "Long-is story; Dick owns Quake 2 - I originally lent it to an artist I knew wouldn't take care of it to see how sturdy my builds are. After owning it (and abusing it) for 3 years it was returned to me, and I took it to a Meshuggah show tuned an octave down on the chance I could connect with Dick. Post-show, a security guy passed a message to the band about the bass and he said the band wanted to see it. As beat as it was, Dick offered me cash for it. That's 15+ years ago."

Winspear likes this.
  14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

As someone who's done a lot of bass and guitar gigs, I will emphatically say that you don't have to tune the bass in any specific way, relative to guitars, and, in fact, tuning the two instruments independently helps innovation. I think the reason most people think that the bass has to be either the same tuning or one octave down from the guitar is that we are a board mostly composed of people who do home recording on guitar, then add a layer of overdubbed bass, so it's easier to switch back and forth if the tunings are parallel to one another.

15. I play music

I get your point and for some kinds of music I definitely agreee, but... playing Meshuggah songs without an F string seems really like over-complicating things to me.

16. bostjan

But how complicated you or I think it is has no bearing on what the actual bass player does. If he likes the tuning, I'm just trying to explain a possible reason why. If he thought that the tuning made things unnecessarily complicated, then I don't think he'd be using it.

I think to address your point directly, I'd just say that you might like it if you tried it.

17. I play music

Of course he is free to do whatever he wants, but I think that tuning might rather suggest that either:
    1. Meshuggah is trying a different tuning (also on guitars)
    2. Dick has a side project where they use a different tuning (For example the guitarist who played in M.A.N (also Swedish I think) has an 11 string guitar with a low A string I think and a playing style not sooo different to Fredrik Thordendal. Far fetched, but just an idea I had)
    3. he just likes this bass to toy around unrelated to Meshuggah
    But we'll see ... except if it's 3 ;-)

18. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I've heard about this in the past and am pretty sure it was just something personal to toy around with. Unfortunately. So I won't be getting any hopes.

That being said, I'll get one of these basses... some day.

I play music likes this.
  19. I play music

If it wasn't so difficult/expensive to buy the fitting strings I'd also be interested in one. Is there even any other company that sells string gauges that high?

20. bostjan

Either Kalium themselves (who are, I suppose, the #1 supplier of ridiculously thick strings), or from Garry Goodman or another small string maker dedicated to ERB.