Fanned 40"-37" Kalium Guitar Works Quake. Production run of 5 Quakes

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by ixlramp, Dec 10, 2016.

1. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

True. There are people, even small people, that can shred in the low end of an upright bass, and those are typically 41-42" scale. The overall design of the instrument design is certainly a factor, as you mention. Technique is also a big part of the picture. It could be something as simple as adjusting the angle of the instrument in playing position (which relates to design), or something a little more involved like developing a left hand approach that involves more movement along the strings to compensate for the greater distance between frets in the low end.

The bottom line is "the scale length is too long" may be true for some if they aren't willing to adjust their approach to fit the instrument. But I've seen enough videos of kids shredding full-size basses to know that it has to be possible to come up with technique that works just fine on these.

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Hmm, $2000? Is that the street price?

Maybe at that price, the headstock will grow on me a little...

These used to run, what, $4k or so?

Also, regarding large scale lengths:

[​IMG]

3. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Hate to post a link to a FB video (because those not signed up may not see it) but this sounds good https://www.facebook.com/kalium.chris/videos/1803718039901539/

The original Quakes were full custom and with Q-tuner pickups. These are 'production' and this first batch of 5 had their basic body and neck construction done by someone other than Skip (no idea who), Skip then finishes them off with wood finish and hardware.

Longer scale basses are certainly needed but there is a chicken-and-egg problem with strings and the fact that bass strings must taper between nut and tuner (a serious limitation and problem).
    String manufacturers won't make superlong strings until superlong instruments become popular, instrument manufacturers won't make superlong instruments until superlong strings are widely available, hopefully DIngwall and Kalium can slowly change this.

If instrument design was different and didn't need string taper to fit in a particular 2" gap this would help too. I'm thinking either headless plus string clamp or linear, clamping headstock tuners (headless tuners on the headstock).

4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, that's street. I don't know if there's anything BUT street price, because you can only buy these directly from Skip.

The nice thing about these is that the some people are making both the bass AND the strings for the bass. So no worries about compatibility.

And I know the temptation to keep this in B (or even higher). But I really want to go lower! I'll have my 34-37" Oni in B, my NG2 in F#, and this in C#. And I got a MAS-112 used a couple of months ago to reproduce those lows as best as possible.

5. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

Holy crap! The F# on that thing sounds fantastic! I've heard some good ones, but that's the first time I've heard that level of piano-like clarity. Thanks for posting. :yesway:

6. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Yes it has a depth, clarity and growl that seems to go beyond what i've heard before.
    So much has been done to improve the tone of sub-E basses but there's something quite simple that is not being done much, and which is the most effective of all: scale length.

7. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

The NAMM Quake is up for sale from Skip at Kalium Guitar Works https://www.facebook.com/Knuckle-Guitar-Works-106693119386852/

"Available for immediate sale; NAMM bolt-on 5 - pure passive with Nordstrand NJ-5's, volume/volume/tone, back battery compartment is for your . . . . picks. Matching knob set is on hand but not installed. 39.55" scale length, currently tuned to F# standard."
    Around US$2000.

(BTW i have no association with the company).

8. Hollowway

Yeah, I aaaaalmost bought that one. I've been talking with Skip and Chris online for a couple of days, but I finally decided to stick with my original vision of the fanned model with a pink/purple finish. It's more expensive than the demo model there, but I gotta do my shocking pink finish!

On of you guys should snap up this one though!

9. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

That NAMM bass is down to $1700 now plus gigbag.

10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

That's amazing, considering the price these things used to sell for.

11. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Demonstration and introduction to this bass at NAMM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq9DbbRSaXw
    Unfortunately the F# is not played but the B sounds amazing, the scale allows a thinner string, here a .118. Completely passive instrument too.

12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

fixed for ya ;)

though it was kinda funny to see the guy all "cowboy" playing such a huge dj0nt bass...... but man the old man can play :shred::eek:

13. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

14. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

Man that thing sounds amazing, I just wish for a more neutral headstock.

15. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

^ 39.55"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ 37"-40"

Uploaded photos as the direct links to FB images are now broken.
    The black one is the NAMM bass and is going for a reduced price, silver tone knob only due to the last minute panic for NAMM.
    Apparently the other ones are selling at around 2000 USD including gigbag. Next batches are either 6 or 4 string.

Attached Files:

16. Hollowway

17. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

25551844_10210822390577329_6972741789535554271_n.jpg

The next one has been sold. 37-40" scale, custom Nordstrand pickups.
    The NAMM bass from last winter NAMM continues to fall in price, $1200 now, but apparently it is a used bass that is being lent out to people to use.

18. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

For those not on FB or not aware, there is a Quake special offer happening for the next batch of production 5 stringers.
    (I have no affiliation with Kalium apart from long time internet communication with Skip and being a fan of what he does).

From Kalium's new FB page https://www.facebook.com/KaliumMusic/
    "Here’s a deal two decades in the making - the Quake bass turns 20 years old this year. CELEBRATE WITH US! Get 20% off the base price of a bolt-on 5 string - only $1600* plus shipping!

The bass will be alder-bodied with a maple neck, completely passive and will come in a Protec gig bag. Your choice of trans-red or black, Nordstrand silent Jazz or humbucking pickups, parallel or fanned frets.

This will be a limited time offer - it expires February 28th, 2018. And only 10 of them will be offered at this price - no Quake will cost this little again. First in line will receive their completed instrument in late spring - the further down the list you are the longer it will take to deliver. Approximate build times are three months - first come, first served.

Let’s talk about your perfect Quake - and get you in the Queue!

*excludes any applicable sales tax, VAT or import fees."

I assume scales willl be as the previous batch, 39.55" (35" plus 2 frets) or 37-40" for fanned.
    They'll be at NAMM sharing a stall and i assume a production Quake will be there to try out.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  19. Hollowway

Yeah, I saw that post. I kind of jumped in a little early (last year), as I have the $2000 passive single coil version. Another early adopter mistake of mine. :lol: But, at least I get mine in a pink to purple burst. Unfortunately, the original Quakes were routed for standard depth single coils, so I can't get the noiseless variety. But, Skip is putting an additional tone circuit in to help take a little of the high end shimmer off. And, it might actually sound better to have a true single coil, as I'm tuning it to C#0, so I'm going to want it sounding as thin and bright as possible.

20. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Wow, I had no idea this design was 20 years old. I guess it's never really taken off, I remember these being discussed on Talkbass years ago but I didn't realise it was such an old design.