Experiments with tuning a 34" scale bass to ultra low C#F#BEA (video)

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by ixlramp, Jun 4, 2018.

1. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Note this is not me! I'm not this young and slick :)
    An interesting video showing how good a very normal bass can sound, especially the F#0 string.
    The C#0 string is of course extreme but actually sounds reasonably good compared to many other recordings of C#0 i have heard (i was part of the ERB community from 2004 onwards). It looks really big on this SR!
    There are more videos of this bass experiment in this Youtube channel.

Hollowway likes this.
  2. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I remember seeing this last week I think, I don't know how I found it though.

It just goes to show that low notes aren't some eldritch occurrence requiring arcane rituals to summon them. Get the right string, tune it up, and play. Is it optimal? No, but most instruments aren't optimal for many things. I have a Kalium .182 that I use for F# at 35". I wanted it for E, but it sounds best at F#, unfortunately. I believe that's the limit before they go into quad-winding. It already sounds pretty good, I just need to fix my electronics and clean up the tone.

All good stuff. Many years ago I tuned it down to E00, around 10hz. I recorded it. It sounded like a slightly-flat basketball pinging off a concrete floor.

3. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Ha, it actually sounds decent! The F# is pretty damn good actually. Definitely need a longer scale length for the C# though

4. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Interesting. I just got a 6-string that I need to send off for a new nut and fretwork anyway. I’m tempted to have it set for a .174 for a low F#