exciting news about a new "pro" line for harley benton

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by zarg, Mar 9, 2018.

1. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

a german youtuber thats closely associated with harley benton did an interview with one of the most important people at thomann behind their house brand harley benton and they will release a new pro series soon.

they look very nice, the specs are amazing for the price. I probably have to get one!

pro series:
    - for now superstrats only (think RG -ish)
    - ebony, maple and baked maple boards
    - stainless steel frets! (medium jumbo)
    - floyd rose 1000 series or wilkinson tremolo
    - locking tuners
    - spokewheel trc adjustment at the base of the neck
    - roswell pickups in HH or HSH configs
    - actual maple tops with flamed/quilted veneers
    - 5 way with seperate coilsplit switch
    - new logo
    - possibly flame maple necks (at upcharge)
    - priced at around 400€

the actual talk about the new series starts about 10:30, but some good footage of the new guitars right at the beginning

2. Bastian93

Bastian93 SS.org Regular

Allmost sounds too good to be true, spec whise. I never touched a Harley Benton guitar so I cant say anything about the quality of their guitars, but all that I heared wasnt too good.

But those specs on at around 400 are a must try for me.

3. Stilicho

Stilicho SS.org Regular

They are extremely bad guitars, got my brother one a few years ago when he wanted to try out guitar. However, I'll definitely pick up one of these pro models if they make a left-handed model.

4. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

I have a HB Paradise Flame prs'ish i picked up for £130 and with a good setup and fret level polish its as good as any guitar ive played upto £500,and as good as any PRS SE ive owned

If they do these as HH with a HS layout (S sized rail H in the neck) i'll dropped for one of these for sure

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

not anymore they are not. They are actually extremely well build guitars for the money.

I own 2 currently and both are my main axes for my band until I get my headless build sorted.

TheUnknownOne likes this.
  6. Stilicho

Stilicho SS.org Regular

Really? Well I'm glad to hear it. I got the one for my brother a few years ago so they must have improved a lot.

I'm very surprised that they are good enough for your main rig though. Might look into picking up a new model to give them a go.

lewis likes this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

defo

for example, look how great these 2018 6 string fan frets look

8. Stilicho

Stilicho SS.org Regular

Nice. How are the electronics set up? Do you have any buzzing from the guitar when your hand is away from the strings for example?

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

no i didnt have any issues like that. I just didnt dig the pickups tone.
    But yeah they worked ok.

10. Stilicho

Stilicho SS.org Regular

>tfw no left-handed models on Thomann :'(

lewis likes this.
  11. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

the fan fret should arrive home this week, from what i've seen on the review on yoube they seem very good for the money. I had a 8 string for them too, pretty good.
    So they're going the trendy Suhr/Ibanez AZ way ? sigh....The first one with the last one's neck would be cool though.... So they're Indo, as the lower line is Viet Nam made (the fan fret comes from there, new factory apparently)

12. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I bought a HB semi hollow like 10 years ago, pickups sounded good and everything else was the worst I've ever played. The guitar had no truss rod, true story. It was a long time ago, and Thomann being Thomann I'd trust them to become better over time. At 400€ with these specs they can be a serious contender.

13. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

The price point is very interesting. At the least, it provides a lot of competition for other builders to keep their own prices down. Frankly, selling Indonesian-made guitars for £1000 is still outrageous. Other manufacturers are adding huge markups for features which don't actually cost that much, such as stainless steel frets, locking tuners etc. Wood isn't expensive. Pickups aren't either - just magnets and wire. They're adding a lot of markup for the brand name. (And of course, as you pay more, you *should* be getting better QC, more time spent per guitar etc. Raw materials aren't everything).

So good on HB for shamelessly undercutting everybody, paying every single Youtuber to promote the hell out of these things. It must be scaring a lot of companies like Schecter who are operating mostly in that mid-range market. What HB is offering is basically a KM6 at less than half the price. Even LTD, PRS SE etc must be feeling the heat.

Personally, I could see myself getting an HB for some sort of "unusual" guitar that I wouldn't normally invest serious money in - such as an 8 string, or a multi-scale, or a headless.

14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I mean they are basically agile and agile has had specs like these forever

Mathemagician likes this.
  15. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Difference is, Harley Benton has one of the largest retailers in the world (Thomann) backing them, as well as the most popular YouTubers on their payroll to put out constant ads on their behalf. That's why you are seeing them absolutely everywhere online, and almost never see Agile anywhere.

Mathemagician and TheUnknownOne like this.
  16. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne SS.org Regular

Plus keep in mind that Agile are very hard to get in Europe, where Thomann gets the biggest part of the market

Dcm81, Ataraxia2320 and Stilicho like this.
  17. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

For that cost I would imagine most of the money went to the top and bridge. In that price bracket I'd rather see guitars that have a nice color solid finish with most of the attention on a playable neck and half-decent pickups.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  18. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

It's just a veneer over real, plain, maple. I really want to give them a shot, I had a bunch of harley bentons to try out during the last year and they were really good guitars. I could swap pickups and they can compete with A brand guitars for almost twice as much money. He mentioned in the interview that thomann buys directly from the factory (sort of like chapman, with no middleman or distributor) and they work with very low margins on the guitars.

19. luislais

luislais nothing ever happens

The FanFret looks awesome! I think it's a good strategy by Thomann

20. Stilicho

Stilicho SS.org Regular

Goddamn, now I really hope they release a lefty model.