Every Musical Scale

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by The Omega Cluster, Apr 16, 2018.

1. odibrom

odibrom .

... but have you done music with those scales?... have tested all of them? :D

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

odibrom likes this.
  3. odibrom

odibrom .

I hope you noticed I was messing with you, hehehe. Yah, some of those sounds are a little (just a little) out of ordinary... to say the least.

4. IGC

IGC Guitar farter arounder

Hmmmm, well I only recently discovered the concept of microtonal fretboards within the last couple years. So havn't done enough research to make an associated scale theory request for you Bostjan.
    But if you feel like making us microtonal a thread like this one about Every Musical Scale... actually now that I think about it, "every musical scale" does not discriminate microtonal scales because microtonal are another musical scale subset!
    So Bostjan, why not educate us in this thread about every microtonal musical scale? That would be a fascinating read, IMO, Not that you give a shit..but if you were offering, way interesting!

5. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

The thing is that "every musical scale" taken in the literal sense would be an infinite set. Even if you discriminate against scales with steps smaller than 5¢ (approximately the human pitch resolution), I don't know if that would make the set finite.

If you want some microtonal resources, the Xenharmonic wiki is the place to go!

http://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/

IGC and bostjan like this.
  6. bostjan

Yeah, the xenharmonic wikispace group is too good for me, :lol: I requested to join twice now, several years apart, and was rejected both times. Until recently, there didn't seem to be really that much interest in microtonal stuff here, and the other boards dedicated to microtonal guitar never really took off. There's a microtonal guitar facebook group that's quite active, with quite a few members from here lurking there, and there's a microtonal tunings facebook group that likes to talk about tunings using enough jargon that I feel like I need to have a Ph. D. in tuning in order to understand half of what they are posting there.

There are a few threads here specifically about microtonal stuff, which would be a better place to discuss this than highjacking @The Omega Cluster 's thread here, especially considering the amount of work he's done.

IGC, ElRay and The Omega Cluster like this.
  7. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

No wonder. 19-tone is barely microtone. You've eliminated the standard sharp/flat enharmonicity, but you've introduced B#/Cb and E#/Fb enharmonicity. You need to be at 21-tone or higher. The only thing you could have done worse is use 17-tone (only standard sharp/flats) or that generic, boring 24-EDO.

:rofl:

bostjan and The Omega Cluster like this.
  8. bostjan

Even with a 5 cent limit on everything, basically 240-EDO, you'd be looking at very roughly 10^100 scales. :rofl: If you made a list of all of those, you wouldn't even be able to find a bank of hard drives large enough to hold the list.

Winspear and The Omega Cluster like this.
  9. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

Actually, it'd be 2^240/2, ~8.8*10^71. Still, ...