Etherial Guitars

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by jkiernanguitar, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

It's a type of polyurethane for the body core and the neck is Tasmanian oak on the inside

2. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

^ Yeah, that looks like blue XPS (Extruded Polystyrene). Stuff is super light. It's one of the many things that can be used inside of walls in buildings for insulation. Stuff is really light, and is pretty tough for its weight. I used it for a project. We built a quadcopter, and we made the main body of the frame out of that stuff, with a skeleton made out of clear acrylic to support the motors and rotors, and to give it more rigidity. Honestly, I think the XPS would have been enough for rigidity. Only bad thing is that it dings easily, and even light heat will melt it instantly. I suppose the carbon fibre + resin shell should provide enough resistance.

bostjan likes this.
  3. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

4. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

I believe that's the whole point indeed! Strong
    Lightweight
    Maliable
    Then densely layered carbon fiber on top for reinforcement.
    Still going to weigh in at around 10lbs

5. odibrom

odibrom .

...and what about resonance qualities, how does it behaves? I mean, it's a "surfboard guitar"... sustain and that stuff that is not pickup dependent?

These are hones questions, I'm all forward into experimentation and breaking the rules...

6. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Very interested in seeing how this pans out. Good luck dude!

Wizardtac likes this.
  7. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

Well with Parker guitars it was shown construction similar to this can yield great sounding guitars....but Ken Parker put ALOT of work and research into his construction designs to make that happen. He is also the guy that can now command $30,000+ for his custom made Archtop guitars (basically im saying he is a guitar building genius).

I have thought for quite awhile Etherial has potential and he has an impressive skill set but until he gets to the point he is puting out consistently well constructed, playable, STABLE instruments he is just learning/practicing on the client's dime (and time).

Wizardtac likes this.
  8. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

Honestly I have no idea but he has about two weeks to get this bass to me and I will post my own pictures links to videos etc good or bad and we can talk allllllllll about it.

Due note: I am a super picky bass player. Everytime I meet a new bass player or friends I basically just start setting up "correcting" their gear for them. In the end pride or what have you everyone's always happy after I set up their gear. So it will be under $3500 and 19months worth of scrutiny here.

odibrom, lewis and downburst82 like this.
  9. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

Due to the fact that I am heavily concerned and so are you folks, I'm starting a build with Prometeus Guitars in January.

10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Hi.

My name is bostjan and I play what I believe may be the world's lightest solid body guitar. (NGD: http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/ngd-bostjans-custom-oni-8-56k-dead-milkmen.54111/) I absolutely love this guitar.

I challenge any person who claims high mass = high sustain to study some physics and re-evaluate that notion.

As for XPS as a guitar material, I would not fret (heh), Steve Vai himself:
    [​IMG]
    commissioned a guitar made of polymer foam with carbon fibre exoskeleton.

So here's the surface level argument:

When you pluck a string, you add mechanical energy to it, which dissipates as sound. The louder the sound, the more vibrational energy dissipates. When your guitar is lightweight, there is less material to vibrate, therefore a lower rate of vibrational dissipation, thus, the acoustic sound of the guitar is quieter, and the length of time of vibration is greater. Same energy in + Less energy out = longer time of energy coming out.

Where this will break down is when the material rattles or buzzes, which would be a negative. Fortunately, carbon fiber is pretty much like hardwood. Resin is typically more sound-reflective, but XPS is a sound dampener, which will dissipate some mechanical vibration through friction, but it does so mostly at higher frequencies, so the idea is that it balances the bright sound typically associated with harder composites.

11. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

12. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

Should be assembled Tuesday or Wednesday!

lewis, Alberto7, Randy and 1 other person like this.
  13. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

Holy flat neck profile!

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

it tesselates the thumb

15. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Is he done with the finish? Not trying to nitpick, but the upper left of the headstock looks like it really needs to be sanded and recoated. Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

16. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

The taping and the hook lead me to believe this is fresh from spraying, so I'm assuming that's from a run and it'll come out in finish sanding?

17. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

He oversprayed on that upper horn.

IGC likes this.
  18. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

This doesn't make sense to me. Lower overall mass of the guitar means less inertia, which means the strings can more easily move the body and transfer energy to the air, giving you more acoustic sound and less sustain (because you're transferring more energy from the strings).

BUT - I think a more rigid guitar (like one with a carbon fiber exoskeleton) will sustain better. I don't have a good physics explanation why, but it has something to do with deformation.

19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

The carbon looks sick.

I think the thing Im noticing is, the ideas are sick but execution does not match the ideas?.
    Seems from these pictures that there is some sloppy masking issues and over spraying?.

The top left tuner hole has some finish issues with like a grainy texture running around it?.
    There is a mask line visible on the first little cut out on the top of the headstock and Im also seeing that horn spray problem mentioned above /\

the neck profile looks awesome for me personally. I dig flat necks way more than fat C shapes.

20. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

Looks great so far, I hope this one turns out OK.
    I'd hate to work with all those materials , it must be a nightmare.