ESP KH202 or Ibanez RG1570?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by 7stringninja, Mar 31, 2006.

1. 7stringninja

7stringninja Southpaw Bastard

So, I'm deeply considering getting a new 6-string. These are the only 2 currently in production (under $1000) that I could give 2 shits about. Maybe I'm overlooking a model or two (feel free to point them out to me).

-Both are available in black only (no points for either)
    -The RG has standard dot inlays vs skull and cross bone (1 point for Ibanez)
    -The ESP has EMGs (no points for either - I will go with either active or passive on this axe. I will use my other 6 string for which ever the next one doesn't have)
    -Both have floating trems (1 point for each)
    -Both have 24 frets
    -Both sport the super-strat style

Any comments?

2. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

You mean the 602 right? For this year the 202 doesn't have EMG HZs anymore, it's got the ESP humbuckers :/

3. Dormant

Dormant Wanker

I would go for the RG1570. I think every lefty should own the 1570 (Especially as if enough were bought Ibanez might remember we exist). The 1570 is a prestige model MIJ, the pickups are a bit shit but it gives you a perfect opportunity to get some white pickups and change all the hardware to white. I am also a big advocate of the edge pro (with modification - go to ibanezrules for necessary mod) which is much lower profile than the licensed Floyd you are used to on the LTD.

Also thin profile neck, and AANJ. I like ESP's but I would personally never buy the Kirk Hammett model.

If you look around you also might be able to pick up one of the other colour variations such as the Mirage Blue below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mirage Red:
    [​IMG]

Who wants a signature guitar with skeletons on it? How old are you 10? I would definitely go for the 1570L. I think Pauly Bob who also has the 1570 (in Mirage Blue) would agree.

4. Scott

Scott Aye. Contributor

I also have the 1570L. Mine is of course the American version which comes in black only (shocking) Overseas models come in mirage blue and black. Paul does have the mirage blue version (Lucky bastard)

I tossed green pickups in mine. Going for the UV7BK look. Was my first guitar with a floater, and actually the first guitar I bought completely by myself. Got in '04 and while I play my 7 mainly now. It's still an awesome guitar.

Though I am getting a replacement body for my 7 from monsterguitarshop under warranty, so my 7 will be out of commission for a couple months, so the RG will be getting alot more attention.

5. Steve

Steve I'm a Happy Camper.

I just bought a KH-202... I believe it is a 2004 model. It has a passive EMG HZ pickup in the neck and an active EMG 81 in the bridge position (custom install)... So far, I love the feel and the sound from this guitar... The neck is extremely fast and has easy access to all the frets. I'm extremely happy with this guitar... Good luck with your final choice...

6. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

Oh yeah, you probably knew this, but the KH bolt-ons are like that on the V series, they've got a "contoured" heel with 4 bolts instead of a plate (I actually like the ESP plate better).

[​IMG]

7. usagi

usagi more gain please

I played both when I was looking for a guitar with a floating bridge. I played the KH with HZs in it and found the guitars were pretty close in regards to how they played. I would make sure you played the KH before you bought so you knew that the tremolo was good. Some of the licensed FRs are crap. The one I played was good. All I can say is I pretty much stopped playing my Les Paul after I got the 1570.:hbang:

8. Steve

I've had no trouble with my FR on my KH-202... It has stayed in tune since I bought the guitar (3 weeks ago)..... I'm not doing any crazy dives or anything, but still I'm pretty impressed.....

9. 7stringninja

7stringninja Southpaw Bastard

White pickups? No sir, cream/black pickups for me. I'm planning on putting a D-Sonic/Airnorton combo in one of my 6-strings, and a Blaze-Bridge/Air-Norton7 in my ESP 7. Both 1/2-black/1/2-cream,

The 1570L is SOOOO appealing to me because I've loved Ibanez since the day I started playing, and have never owned one. I really wish I could get an S7 in lefty, or even just a Prestige/J-custom S-series (add 24 frets as well) but we all have dreams.

10. Mark. A

Mark. A gang* 4 lyfe Contributor

Kh202 imo, that guitar isa beauty when fitted with new pups. It has great feel

11. Dormant

Dormant Wanker

They actually did the 1570L in Black, Gray Nickel, Mirage Blue and Mirage Red in the UK. I have the gray nickel which I picked up in 2003. I changed the bridge for a Steve's Special and the neck for a PAF Joe. I think I might pick up a Mirage Blue and do the all white hardware deal on it as they are still quite cheap at the moment.

:lol:
    Horses for courses - personally I would go the all white route as I think cream looks like it's been nicotine stained, but I am an advocate of the zebra pattern. I too wished that they made a left handed prestige S series (or in fact any other floyd equipped guitar). I have seen lefty s-series from the early 90's but I haven't been too interested.

btw - the contour on that ESP heel looks non existent and the heel is massive compared to the all access neck joint you get on the 1570. Get the Ibanez!!!

12. usagi

usagi more gain please

I had some bad experiences with licensed FRs on Jacksons. Just thought I would mention it. The one KH 203 (LP model) I played had an awesome tremolo on it. I just think not all licensed FRs are equal.

13. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

Seriously though, if you're looking for under 1k, why not just get the KH602 with the neck-through, 81s and OFR? My friend has one and he loves it to death, he bought it over the ESP KH2 after playing them both just because that was a bolt-on and he wanted neck-through.

14. Steve

There's a KH-602 on eBay right now. Brand new - $899 Buy It Now... I don't see these for sale very often...

eBay Item # 7401603734

15. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP