Erra - Neon (August 10th)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by squids, Jun 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. squids

squids .

Announced last night. The clean vocalist definitely has an Anthony Green thing going on. Seems like they are going in the same direction that Drift went in.

for fans of veil of maya (false idol in particular)

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  2. ZombieDank

ZombieDank SS.org Regular

Well I'm stoked for the album to drop! I know what you mean with the Anthony Green vibe though... he has a side project called Ghost Atlas which sounds super similar to Saosin/Circa Survive.

3. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

You know, I'm still really bummed out we never got another 'Elixir of Life' style song out of Ghost Atlas.
    Literally felt like Saosin but better.

4. squids

squids .

Yeah i'm not the biggest fan of Ghost Atlas, never really got along with it despite growing up with Saosin and CC. The last album had more of a deftones feel to it imo, which further alienated me. oh well, not a big deal

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

i dig it. I liked Drift a lot so if this is going to be in that vein then I'll pick it up

6. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

i kinda miss their old style/vocals a bit. this video got me into them awhile back and i wish they went back to the less northlane-y version of themselves. they seem like the nicest dudes though so it's easy to keep supporting whatever they do

MikeH, NosralTserrof and Masoo2 like this.
  7. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I like this single a bit more than I liked Drift, but I still 100% prefer Impulse/Augment/MOC to this newer sound.

JT doesn't do it for me, abandoning Brian Hood has made their mixes become some of the most lifeless and dead ones I've heard in modern metal(core), and all heaviness is basically gone.

If they want to go ambient, fully embrace it, don't just give us little teases of it here and there.

teqnick and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  8. squids

squids .

I agree with missing the style of Impulse and Augment, but I like the direction they're going as well. I am fine with JT, i think his vocal style suits Erra, considering Ian is the only thing i don't like about Moments of Clarity.
    I think the most interesting part is that Jesse wrote most of Impulse, Augment, and Drift, in addition to all of Moments of clarity. I think his writing is literally maturing along with himself considering Impulse came out when he was like 18. Not a bad thing.

9. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

Personally I think Moments of Clarity was peak Erra. I've loved all of their releases except for Drift, which I just couldn't get into at all, so it's looking like another meh album to me.
    As long as their live shows are still good I'll keep supporting them though- even the Drift stuff makes for a great show imo. Great group of guys.

Masoo2 likes this.
  10. squids

squids .

Yeah they put on a really good live show. Last time i saw them was on their headliner last year in not a great venue, and there were only about 75 people there. i felt bad cause you could see they were pretty disheartened, and yet they still killed it. hopefully next time i see them will be in a venue closer to the city so more people come out.

11. CTID

CTID Duh-Jent

So, Neon came out today and it's pretty sick so far. Glad to be hearing more JT Cavey this time around.

12. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

Just saw them on Summer Slaughter last night and they played a track from their new album. I'm sure everyone was dog tired driving from Seattle, WA to Sacramento, CA, but their set actually had some of the most energy of the night. Super fun to watch them play. Jesse's vocals were pretty on point too!

In terms of the whole progressive/djenty metalcore thing, I'd say them, Architects, and Northlane are definitely the more interesting of the bunch.

I will say Brian Hoods production on their stuff sounded much more ballsy.

13. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Now that I've actually heard the entire album, I actually really dig it.

It's such an improvement over Drift.

I wasn't a fan of Disarray as a single, but in album context I love it.

14. squids

squids .

Ghost of Nothing hits really fucking hard. I wish the leads were a bit more pronounced but the way they are is ok, kind of just like an accent. I also really like Signal Fire and Expiate.

15. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 SS.org Regular

I'm surprised this thread doesn't have more activity! Just got through listening to Neon for the 20th time or so, here's my track by track thoughts-

1-Breach Classic Erra song. One of the best on the album 10/10

2-Monolith. It’s okay, sorta what I expected from Neon. Along the same lines as Disarray 7/10

3-Signal Fire. Similar to Monolith but not as good & sorta boring imo. 5/10

4-Valhalla- great song, same level as Breach. 10/10

5-Hyperreality- WTF Even is this song?! Sorry, but this song is awful & shouldn’t be on album. The whole thing feels goofy as shit. From the farty guitar tone in the beginning to the super lame vocal melody in the chorus. If this was the first Erra song I ever heard I'd never listen to them again. 1/10.

6-Ghost of Nothing- brings the album back after hyperreality. Same ballpark as Valhalla / Disarray. 9/10

7-Disarray- Great song, great pick as a first single that represents the overall sound of the album. 9/10

8-Expiate- Very odd Covet sounding tapping in beginning but good otherwise. Sorta forgettable. 6/10

9-Unify- Great clean vocal melody in chorus, best slightly mellower song. Feel the solo at the end is decent but could have been waaaay more epic. 7/10

10-Ultimata- This song grew on me the more I listened to it. I think it's a perfect closer to Neon. 9/10

Over all, I think this is a solid album but I do have issues with it. Honestly, I think Jesse's vocal melodies and guitar leads were better on pretty much every other ERRA release and JT isn't utilized nearly enough in some songs. I listen to a lot of the tracks on here & can't help but wonder wtf he'd be doing on stage if it were played live. This album prompted me to go back & listen to him in Texas in July & holy shit is he under-utilized on this album.

Now that that's out of the way, I do have to say that I see & appreciate the direction ERRA is trying to go in. Neon has a sort of retro "Tron" feel to it that's pretty cool. Of all things, I think the production lends itself to that the most. I also grabbed it on vinyl & the pressing came out amazing.

duffbeer33 and CTID like this.
  16. CTID

CTID Duh-Jent

Thank god. I thought I was crazy for thinking this song just sucked. The main riff is really amateurish, the intro is super generic and what IS THAT SOLO?

17. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

Prefer the last album, but think this will be a grower.

18. MiPwnYew

MiPwnYew SS.org Regular

I dig it for the most part, the chorus in Hyperreality makes me cringe though...

19. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

I loved Drift, and this was even better. I'm pretty bummed the San Diego Summer Slaughter date ended up getting cancelled.

20. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

Never listened to them before but really enjoying Neon. Man, I think that opening riff in Hyperreality is totally cool and groovy, and has awesome low end. I'll agree on the cheesy chorus though! Breach is my favourite so far though. Always cool to find new music!