Erra - Neon (August 10th)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by squids, Jun 13, 2018 at 4:30 PM.

Tags:
  1. squids

squids .

Announced last night. The clean vocalist definitely has an Anthony Green thing going on. Seems like they are going in the same direction that Drift went in.

for fans of veil of maya (false idol in particular)

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  2. ZombieDank

ZombieDank SS.org Regular

Well I'm stoked for the album to drop! I know what you mean with the Anthony Green vibe though... he has a side project called Ghost Atlas which sounds super similar to Saosin/Circa Survive.

3. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

You know, I'm still really bummed out we never got another 'Elixir of Life' style song out of Ghost Atlas.
    Literally felt like Saosin but better.

4. squids

squids .

Yeah i'm not the biggest fan of Ghost Atlas, never really got along with it despite growing up with Saosin and CC. The last album had more of a deftones feel to it imo, which further alienated me. oh well, not a big deal

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

i dig it. I liked Drift a lot so if this is going to be in that vein then I'll pick it up

6. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

i kinda miss their old style/vocals a bit. this video got me into them awhile back and i wish they went back to the less northlane-y version of themselves. they seem like the nicest dudes though so it's easy to keep supporting whatever they do

NosralTserrof and Masoo2 like this.
  7. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I like this single a bit more than I liked Drift, but I still 100% prefer Impulse/Augment/MOC to this newer sound.

JT doesn't do it for me, abandoning Brian Hood has made their mixes become some of the most lifeless and dead ones I've heard in modern metal(core), and all heaviness is basically gone.

If they want to go ambient, fully embrace it, don't just give us little teases of it here and there.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  8. squids

squids .

I agree with missing the style of Impulse and Augment, but I like the direction they're going as well. I am fine with JT, i think his vocal style suits Erra, considering Ian is the only thing i don't like about Moments of Clarity.
    I think the most interesting part is that Jesse wrote most of Impulse, Augment, and Drift, in addition to all of Moments of clarity. I think his writing is literally maturing along with himself considering Impulse came out when he was like 18. Not a bad thing.

9. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

Personally I think Moments of Clarity was peak Erra. I've loved all of their releases except for Drift, which I just couldn't get into at all, so it's looking like another meh album to me.
    As long as their live shows are still good I'll keep supporting them though- even the Drift stuff makes for a great show imo. Great group of guys.

Masoo2 likes this.
  10. squids

squids .

Yeah they put on a really good live show. Last time i saw them was on their headliner last year in not a great venue, and there were only about 75 people there. i felt bad cause you could see they were pretty disheartened, and yet they still killed it. hopefully next time i see them will be in a venue closer to the city so more people come out.