Entirely self-produced quality instrumental metal guitar album here! :)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by syndrone, Mar 13, 2018.

1. 07adams88

07adams88 SS.org Regular

Bought it this morning, digging your lead melodies a lot! I'll listen to the rest of the album when I get home from work. Definitely a little bass heavy for my taste but overall that is a minor thing. (Probably wouldn't mind so much if I had subs in my car lol.)

I'm actually starting from scratch on my studio build. I made a post in this same section looking for advice due to the fact it's been so long since I've purchased computer or recording gear. I'm super tempted to knock my list down in price a bit so I can fit a kemper into (maybe a little over) my budget. Id go for Axe FX but I'm not good at digging into the tonal settings and developing from the ground up. I'm more of a modify a tone I already like type of guy.

syndrone likes this.
  2. 07adams88

07adams88 SS.org Regular

Sorry for double post, phone wigged out.

syndrone likes this.
  3. syndrone

syndrone Melodic Shred Head

Thanks mate! :) Hope you dig the rest of the album!

I just gave my thoughts in your other post. You`re pretty much on the right track, though it`s really hard to save a lot of money when starting from scratch... Regarding Axe Fx vs Kemper: I didn`t have much luck with the presets on the Axe Fx (although they do sound pretty good, I just don`t think that the metal presets are actually usable...). This is different with the Kemper which has decent and ready-to-go presets, actually. It`s also cheaper than the Axe-Fx although prices will probably drop a bit since the Axe III is out.

Hard decisions and I hope you will be happy with your setup! :)

4. 07adams88

07adams88 SS.org Regular

Played it while doing some computer work today. Digging it for sure man, awesome job! Jealous of you lead playing lol.

syndrone likes this.
  5. syndrone

haha glad you like it but there is no need to be jealous at all in my opinion... :) In the end, it is just a couple of notes being played on a wooden fretboard - anyone can do that! ;P

6. 07adams88

07adams88 SS.org Regular

After listening to the album throu a few times now on different systems I have determined it is too short. Lol jk.

Cyborg Nephilem and Plasmocyte are my favorites for sure. The bass heavy mix is growing on me too, mostly because of the fat riffs in Plasmocyte.

Awesome job man, I look forward to hearing your next project.

7. syndrone

Haha although it`s around 53 min long ;P

Awesome! Cyborg Nephilim and Plasmocyte are definitely amongst my favorite as well. I really like Epsilon Eclipse as well (for which I just did a playthrough... just waiting for Keegan Donovan to record his part). I really like that simple melodic chorus but maybe that`s just me....

Thanks again for all your kind words! Already started working on new material. I think overall it`s gonna sound darker, shreddier and more in the vein of Cyborg Nephilim :)

07adams88 likes this.
  8. syndrone

The playthrough for "Epsilon Eclipse" is coming soon btw, plus there will be a TAB available plus the whole track minus the lead guitar to play along :)

07adams88 likes this.
  9. syndrone

...Playthrough is up for those who are interested! :)

Santuzzo and 07adams88 like this.
  10. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

I just watched the play through clip! Awesome music and great playing. I will purchase your album when back home tomorrow!

syndrone likes this.
  11. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Really killer man, I bought it yesterday along with Paul's last couple albums. This is going to get a lot of plays!

Are you mostly in Drop A?

syndrone likes this.
  12. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

I've been seeing this post floating around for awhile, kind of wrote it off without even looking in it. After seeing it maintain a high spot on the que today, curiosity pulled me in... I'm glad I looked! this is really awesome man, was not expecting this at all. This is the kind of music I seek out. Extremely well done, you got another fan here! I will be keeping an eye out for your work.

syndrone likes this.
  13. syndrone

Hey guys!

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks so much for checking it out and for the support! I appreciate it a lot! :)

Regarding tuning: I used standard tuning on my 7 strings for the entire album. Used either B-standard or A-standard for the tracks.
    I don`t use drop tunings that much anymore... Been using it for years but never quite liked it as much as I like standard tuning. Though I have a couple of ideas that would work way better in drop tuning so I might explore it a bit again I guess.... :)

BTW: Paul`s new album is amazing!! \m/

kylendm and TheShreddinHand like this.
  14. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

I purchased your album download a few days ago and I have been listening to it several times since then. Awesome work, great songs, sick playing and also great production!

syndrone likes this.
  15. syndrone

@trem licking: Darn, I kinda missed your post before. Thanks for having a look! :) I know this whole post is somewhat self-promotion (and believe me, I don`t really enjoy doing it..) but I almost have no choice, I guess.... That being said, I love discussing about guitars, guitar playing and audio production, so it kinda balances it out a bit and I think it`s a good place to have such conversations in here! :)

@Santuzzo: Thanks so much! Great to hear/read that you like it! :)

If you are an Axe-Fx II user and are interested: I will be sharing the lead guitar preset in a couple of days when I`m home again!

trem licking likes this.
  16. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Awesome thanks!

syndrone likes this.
  17. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

Very impressive work, congratulations on putting together a magnificent album! I didn't expect to find something so enjoyable. I'll be ordering a physical copy pronto :D Your journey speaks to me as another person that's been taking a number of years to learn the ways of production. The quality of your work inspires me to trudge on forward!

syndrone likes this.
  18. syndrone

Thanks so much for your kind post, Frey! This really means a lot to me! :)

19. syndrone

hey there!

I hope it`s okay to post here again. Just letting everyone know that the album is now available on Spotify............ I guess in the modern world there is indeed no way around Spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7DI0OmSwoRN5vbDNFzF2Mi

That being said: There is a still a ton of physical CDs available if anyone wants to go the oldschool route :) $

Cheers!
    SYNDRONE

20. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Sounds good to me!