Engl Invader vs SE

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by drummerboy7816, Aug 7, 2008.

1. drummerboy7816

drummerboy7816 Drumitarist

Hey fellows, out of pure curiosity (and maybe a little GAS), I was wondering how the Engl Invader's voicing compare to the SEs. I've read that the Invader's voicing is as follows:

channel 1: clean
    channel 2: marshellish
    channel 3: VHT/SLO
    channel 4: Mark IV

Which if true.. sounds like THE ultimate amp in one. Is the SE's channels voiced this way? I know Bulb swears by the Invader, and his tracks with the Invader is in my top 5 fav tones of all time. The Invader seems so under the rader compared to the PB, blackmore, savage & SE though.. so I wanted to get more info from you well-versed metal heads out there. Much appreciated. :metal:

Bilbone Shaggins and mikernaut like this.
  2. Celiak

Celiak SS.org Regular

Jeff Loomis uses a SE therefor it is deemed true, that's all you need to know really.

*FLEX*

3. LordOVchaoS

LordOVchaoS NUDE MAN! Forum MVP

I really liked my Invader but I prefer the SE by a little. I found it to be a bit tighter and clearer with smoother lead tones. The one place the Invader did do a better job IMO was in mid gain tones (classic rock, blues, etc...) buit I'm a death metal player :D What the fuck do I need those for :lol:

Both amps are voiced very similar.

4. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

I personally prefer the Invader, I find the Invader more refined, and a little more natural than the SE, the SE I did find quite compressed. Still, both are amazing amps :)

5. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

Ahhh very cool. Thanx for making this post. I too am gassing for either of these Engl's and was wondering opinions on both aswell.

A few other questions I had are who even sells them online and out of the footswitches , are there specific ones that go with the specific heads?

6. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

I've owned both the Invader and the SE (6L6 version) and the SE had a more compressed sound to it which IMO was not for the better. It did not sound as organic as the Invader and had less focus on the mids than the Invader did. Purely preference and it depends on what style music you play but I felt the Invader (100 though, I did not like the 150 as much at all) was more versatile. :2c:

7. E Lucevan Le Stelle

E Lucevan Le Stelle in love with Judas

I :wub: the SE... but the Invader's also a great amp and more affordable.

Try them both out!

8. drummerboy7816

drummerboy7816 Drumitarist

Thanks for all the input!

I think the Invader sounds like it's more for me.. I play heavy/nu metal/Hard rock so I like that Girthy metal tone but really needs to sound good at lower volumes (since 90% of the play time I'm in that area). My precious VHT UL is serving me extremely well, but the Invader looks so tasty...

9. LordOVchaoS

I put KT77's in my SE then retubed the preamp with:

Tung Sol Gold Pin
    Jan GE 5751
    and the rest 9th gen chinese

You would eat your words if you played it. I had the exact tone of my Invader dialed in after about 5 minutes of tweaking. The Tung Sol added depth and the 5751 warmed the amp up and took away some of the compression. After about a week I had a tone dialed in that made my Invader tone cry!

I find it to be a more versatile, tighter, and clearer amp than the Invader. Stock tubes do it no justice at all.

10. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Perhaps, I can't speak on that since I had whatever tube Muhammed had in his SE and the stock Engl tubes in the Invader 100. Also the OP didn't ask what they sounded like with $100+ worth of tubes in it, he asked for a comparison of the two. :lol: :shrug: I'm not going to assume that someone is going to buy the amp and instantly shell out all that cash for a full retube so while your experience with the retube is interesting, I don't think that would be a likely situation with a new amp purchase at that price. :)

Also FWIW you could get the exact tone of the higher gain stuff on the SE with the Invader. I can say this having had Misha's Invader AND my SE in the apartment using the same two cabinets to A/B them. The Invader could do what the SE could, albeit not as compressed and not as "death metal tight" in the lows. A retube might make the SE sound more open but I don't think it's going to totally change the character of the amp to be honest. Did you happen to record before and after clips displaying what you're talking about by any chance? Plus, since you play death metal (as you stated above) your "Invader tone" was probably not the same tone I dial it in for nor is it the same way Misha dials his in. :wavey: Maybe with a retube you could dial in your SE to sound better than you had dialed in the Invader, I'm just saying that was not my experience with the two amps.

11. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Matt actually the SEs we had were retubed with stock ENGL tubes when they were serviced after the tour.

12. LordOVchaoS

I shell out a lot of money on tubes with every amp I buy :lol: Not this time though! I usually use the tubes I put in as a sales pitch to move an amp fast but I sent off the SE with the stock tubes in it and kept my babies :wub:

I don't know what your tone is and although I think Misha's tone is fucking awesome it's not my tone. You are correct sir :agreed: You guys might not like the main tone I use on the SE either. I will tell you that the Tung Sol and 5751 DO change the charachter of the amp CONSIDERABLY. A 5751 has 30% less gain and is much warmer/harmonic rich than a 12ax7. It made my Powerball warm and organic sounding if that tells you anything!

No bullshit you could turn my SE's gain all the way up without it getting fizzy and out of control.

13. Xtremevillan

Xtremevillan im leaving ss.org Contributor

Well now I feel left out :(

14. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Oh yeah I know, that's what Tona told me too. :) But they are different than the set that Joe put in his which might have made more of a difference since I already know what new Engl tubes sound like in those amps. :agreed:

Interesting. I've never messed around with a 5751 before so it's possible that it would change the sound of the preamp and thus change the overall sound of the amp. :agreed: Any chance of a clip or two when you get the new SE? :D

15. LordOVchaoS

:agreed:

and shhh :D

16. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

:rofl: I think the secret has been out for a week or so... that thread was getting constant bumpage! ;)

17. theshred201

theshred201 SS.org Regular

Also, now there's the Steve Morse sig, which is supposedly pretty much a modified invader. So far, I haven't seen any reviews, but I heard some sweet clips.

18. adadglgmut

adadglgmut Notes from a Ghost

agreed, the invader is a little more organic, but i think the SE is a little smoother.
    im sure it would depend whether you're running the SE with 6l6s or EL34s