Engl Amps owners thread :D

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Cobhc221, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

I've owned all 3... the difference are pretty noticeable. The Savage 120 was the big flagship amp for Engl for years. Then they decided to make some tweaks/mods to it... which resulted in the Savage Special Edition... most noticeably the 6L6GC power tubes. Then finally came the newest, and most feature laden flagship amp, the Special Edition (available with either 6L6GCs or EL34s). I greatly prefer the Savage 120 and Special Edition... not so much of a fan of the Savage SE. It just doesn't sound as god as the others.

The main difference between the Savage 120 and SE is that the SE sounds more modern, more bass, more gain, less compressed... and way louder. The Savage 120 is actually around 65 Watts power output... not 120W as the name might imply. The SE is just a bigger, more massive, more modern sounding amp. The Savage 120 is more compressed, much tighter, but with a thinner, less bass heavy sound. The SE is is my favorite Engl... and the Savage 120 is my #2. Not a really fair comparison just based on the feature set of the SE.

2. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

BrianC85, Cobhc221 and narad like this.
  3. Cobhc221

Cobhc221 SS.org Regular

I'll be at namm guys! hmu at the KSR booth if you want to chat and talk TOANS. I'll also be at the Engl booth (obviously) and the friedman booth

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  4. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

Cobhc221 likes this.
  5. Cobhc221

Cobhc221 SS.org Regular