EMG Pickups, Accessories, Wiring, Info and Help thread - post it here!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Acatalepsy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Don Tonberry

Don Tonberry SS.org Regular

Looks like James has the 18v mod installed in his latest KL explorer. He takes the back cover off and shows the control cavity. What are the noticeable differences using the 18v mod?? I'm considering if I should do it on my Het Set. I would try with my 81/60 but the control cavity is too small in that guitar to fit another battery

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

it gives you a bit more headroom, though it depends on the pickup. the non-x series benefit more from it ime.

3. silverabyss

silverabyss

Alright I can't find crap about the VMC circuit that's in the new Masvidalien. What does it to exactly? Is it just a TS type boost or can it actually alter the EQ/voicing of a bridge pickup to make it sound like a neck pickup?

4. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Anyone know if it's possible to alter the Tone Sweep range from the EMG tone pot? Installed one and it barely changed the sound

5. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

What are people's thoughts on the 57-7 (bridge) 66-7 (neck) set vs 81-7 (bridge) 707 (neck)? I'm not loving the 81-7, and it seems kind of muddy on the low B. Already replaced the battery, so that's not the issue. I'm stumped because I've found the 6 string 81 to be great for low tunings.

6. KnightBrolaire

The 57/66 is less compressed than the 707 or 81 sets iirc. I found the 57 to be flubbier on the low end than the 808x set I had before it, but that was really my only issue with the 57. The 57 was definitely a bit clearer from what I remember.
    The X series are generally an improvement over the terrible 707/808 pickups- the x series essentially sound like they have a permanent 18v mod done to them and have more headroom/clarity.
    I would guess that the 81x would give you more clarity than the 81 in the same way, unless you're already doing the 18v mod. I'm sure people that have used them more extensively can chime in, I've only messed around with some 81 loaded 7 strings at my buddy's house.

7. groverj3

Essentially, if I'm looking for more clarity/less mud on the low end then I shouldn't look to the 57-7, is how I take this. I either want to 18v my 81-7 or look at an 81-7x then?

8. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I'm a 57/66 user in both 6-er & 7 formats. These are PAF-ish voiced pickups with active output. The best of the EMG lineup in my opinion, clear, articulate, full, very well balanced. If you want to boost this, I'd recommend the PA2 over the Afterburner. PA2 is more of an onboard clean boost, Afterburner gets too thick/muddy in my opinion.

9. KnightBrolaire

yeah easiest path would probably be 18v mod or the 81-7x. The 57 has good clarity on the low end, but it was a bit less tight/responsive on the low end compared to the 808x I had. You can kind of mitigate the slightly looser feeling with a good tight overdrive or a 10 band eq/compressor set up.

10. groverj3

Interesting. It just seems odd to me that the 81-7 seems muddy. It could just be that my amp settings are crap for 7-string as a recent convert.

18v mod is probably the easiest thing to do. I'm intrigued by the 57/66 set, but maybe it'd be better suited to 6 strings/standard tuning?

11. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I have it in my RG7620 also, low B is clear, articulate. Not saggy at all.

12. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

I'm bored as fuck at work and eyeballing the red 85-8s again... anyone have any thoughts on these?

edit: We play metal like Kataklysm, OLD Whitechapel, Amon Amarth, etc

13. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Hey everyone,

I have a PRS Torero that came with EMG 81/85s, but the original owner swapped them for SD AHB1 blackouts. Yesterday I got some EMGs (81 and 85 again) and they seem weirdly noisy.

Here's 2 clips showing the noise difference just sitting on my 5150 patch with nothing being played. When the noise stops, it's me engaging my noise gate. The noise is not a grounding issue, since I can touch anything metal on the guitar and the noise does not change.

Is it normal for EMGs to be this noisy? I've re-done the wiring, changed batteries, and swapped the blackouts back in and they're for sure quieter, the only difference is which pickup is in the guitar.

My stock RG7620 pickups are also way quieter.

is it at all possible to actually fuck up an EMG and break it?

14. buriedoutback

In my experience, emgs are dead quiet. I run an 85 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck of my ltd explorer . Sorry I can't be of much help with respect to the noise/wiring. You've done everything I would have done.
    Out of curiosity and separate from the noise issue, are you running the 85 in the bridge or the 81? I know tons of people run the 81 in the bridge, but I like the 85 a lot more. Seems much thicker/beefier to me.

15. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I switched them up and the 81 is noisy in the neck, and the 85 is dead silent in the bridge. Guess the dude sold me a bum 81.

16. buriedoutback

shitty man