Elysian Pickups - 2017

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by ElysianGuitars, Apr 26, 2017.

1. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

Absolutely.

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Excellent job!

http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/elysian-tap-review.323021/

ElysianGuitars likes this.
  3. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

Finished this set last night for Knightro Guitars:

[​IMG]

These are 18 degree bridge, 10 degree neck, and perfect for the Hipshot 18 degree multiscale bridge. These pickups are now a standard model, so anyone building with the Hipshot 18 degree bridge will be able to enjoy standard pricing on an angled set of pickups.

4. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

Got a new 3D printer this week, a laser based SLA, made by Peopoly, called Moai. I am really excited to try making pickup parts with it, I've already been experimenting with 7 string bobbins, and they're coming out nicely. Here's a picture of the printer:

[​IMG]

And an example of a bobbin:
    [​IMG]

This is using the grey resin that came with the printer. I dinged a corner while cleaning it off in the isopropyl alcohol before curing, gotta be careful about that!

Anyways, I plan on using this to offer any number of custom colors, and for offering plastic bobbins on multiscale pickups. I'll keep everyone posted :yesway:

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

ooh that's super cool.

6. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

One thing I'm going to be working on is a line of pickups made to fit any Strandberg. I'm starting with 8 string, I'll be making a set for Dave Dunsire (guitarist with Sarah Longfield) in the next couple of weeks, to replace his EMGs. I'm working with him to get the measurements I'm missing for the bridge and neck pickup orientation. I feel like that's the sort of thing that should have its own thread when I'm ready, what say you?

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

:yesway:

8. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

Ola was kind enough to send me the CAD for the 7 and 8 string models, so I've got the design work done for the new range of pickups.

[​IMG]

I'll be starting the first 8 string set this week. If anyone wants to be the first tester for a 7 string set, let me know, I'll make it worthwhile.

9. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

What are the difference between the Modern and the Hot Modern pickup sets? (Outputs, magnets, tonal characteristics, etc)

10. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

Magnets are really based on the sound your after. Typically I'll do ceramic for most builds, but every once in a while I do an A5 modern or A8 modern. Main difference is the hot modern will be a little bit beefier, a little more bass, and higher output of course. Most of my winds are either hot vintage or modern, but if you want a little more oomph the hot modern wind is a great choice. Bostjan got a hot modern w/ ceramic+A5 recently, and the clips of the Obsidian are a modern wind with a ceramic+A5 configuration.

On a 7 string modern set the bridge is typically 14.5-15.5k, neck is 12.5-13.5k. On the hot modern they start at 16.5k bridge and 14.5k neck.

Mike likes this.
  11. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

12. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Really intriguing ideas here, and cool looking pickups to boot.

I've been considering getting something else for my Mayones Setius 7 so I may have to send you a message at some point in the next month or two, once I replenish my savings from some recent impulse purchases.

Is there a write up somewhere comparing the different winds? I didn't see anything on the website, but I'm also using my phone so I may have missed it.

13. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

No, it's usually just a discussion I have when someone contacts me. Vintage wind is that PAF style of wind, it's going to be low output, open sounding, a little on the thin side. The hot vintage is a hot PAF type wind, a little more low end, a little more output. Modern has really become my base wind, a good 90% of the pickups I ship are with the modern wind, and I accentuate it with different magnet configurations. It's great for modern metal, good tight low end, balanced volume across all the strings, with good present upper mids. The hot modern wind is a much hotter version of that, gives even more low end, lots of output, but still has a good balance across the strings. In six string trim, the vintage wind is anywhere from 8-9k bridge, 7-8k neck, the hot vintage is 9-10k bridge, 8-9k neck. The modern wind is 11-13k bridge, 9-11k neck, and the hot modern is 14k+ bridge, 12k+ neck. It's all variable because all my pickups are hand wound. 7 and 8 strings will have higher resistance, but I keep the wind count pretty similar, maybe take off 100-200 winds.

The process for ordering pickups right now is very simple. If you send me a message/email me, first thing I'll ask is what kind of sound you're after and what you play. I base my recommendation on that, and explain how I've come to that recommendation. I'm pretty flexible, and if you have an idea of specs you want, I can try to work around that, or give an alternate solution. I probably put a little too much time into this part of the process at times, but it winds up worth it in the end, the more time I spend hashing out the build, the better the result.

Also, I know I'm posting on a very metal oriented site, but I wind pickups for any style of music. One of my players is a guy who has a Knightro with a Tele bridge pickup and a humbucker neck pickup who plays anything from country, southern rock, blues, rock, etc, and his guitar can do it all. The completely custom Tuned Aperture Tele pickup I made him worked out well beyond my expectations. You can check him out with the band Steeltown Religion.

14. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Really cool. I'll shoot you a message soon then.

I am left handed though, not sure if that throws a wrench in the works when it comes to the apertures.

15. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

It definitely matters, I basically have to reverse the configurations in that case. Not an issue at all though!

16. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

[​IMG]

Finished this set for Aviator Guitars last week.

Here's a look at just a small amount of in stock sets I have:

[​IMG]

In stock pickups are $85 per/$170 set for 6 and 7 string, $100 per/$200 set for 8 string.

KnightBrolaire and Samark like this.
  17. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

These are headed your way:

[​IMG]

bostjan likes this.
  18. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

[​IMG]

This set is heading to Oklahoma today. Hot vintage wind, A5 magnets, standard Tuned Aperture configuration.

19. Samark

Samark SS.org Regular

Thanks, Adam! I can't wait to try these out. They'll look nice sitting on this quilt

[​IMG]

20. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

This modern wind Tuned Aperture set is heading to Donny Burbage of Æther Realm. They feature a ceramic bar magnet underneath, Alnico V poles in the inner coils, and the single coil is an Alnico V as well.

[​IMG]

A set just like this would be $300.