Ear tinnitus

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by willy25, Aug 23, 2017.

1. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

i think i have it dont know due to symptoms. but ever since i bought my first studio monitors, they bother my ears even with low volume . has anybody heard of this issue with monitors?

2. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I too didn't start monitoring my symptoms until I procured monitors. I just try to be mindful of what frequencies, at which decibels, to avoid or minimize that day. Some days I nope-out after just a few seconds of music.

3. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Is it general ear fatigue, or tinnitus specifically, i.e. ringing in your ears?

4. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

This can happen with monitors, earplugs and headphones alike.

It doesn't have to be outright tinnitus, but can be a simple matter of some listening devices having a relatively narrow frequency range that manifests in a fashion that couples with your particular ear design. Or it can be the amplifier producing even small amounts of distortion, especially if the tweeter is made from titanium, which can have a tendency to produce hard breakups.
    Do note that this doesn't per se mean titanium tweeters are inferior, just that some are prone to doing this.

Now, in the case of plugs or phones, there's very little to do about it other than buy something else; that is, if you know the amplifier driving them is of good quality, with very little distortion.

In the case of monitors, their placement and how your room couples with reflections plays a role too.i
    If your monitors are placed too low, that is, with the tweeter level to your ears, and you have little or no room treatment, try raising the monitors so you have either the woofer or the division line between woofer and tweeter at ear level.
    Further, many monitors works the best when angled a Bit backwards, simply because the tweeter is vertically in-line with the woofer, with the result that it [the tweeter] may appear to protrude into the sound field.
    This is a matter of incorrect timing between woofer and tweeter.

I'd try raising them and add room treatment behind, to the sides, and above your work space to avoid early reflections.

schwiz likes this.
  5. marcwormjim

My bad, OP - Just noticed the thread title specifies EAR tinnitus; and amended the post to remove all mention of my humming balls.

6. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

I've been dealing with ear pain and moderate tinnitus for a few years now. vansinn really highlighted some key points about placement that you should really think about.

Things that helped subside ear pain for me:
    1. Setting up my listening position to be a perfect triangle - I was WAY TOO CLOSE to my monitors, and they have 8inch speakers. When I started sitting back farther this helped the ear pain
    2. Lowering my monitor height. - My monitors were too high up and the tweeters were almost above my head.
    3. Tilting my monitors toward me on the stands so they face slightly downward - My chair and desk aren't tall enough to be at the right height for my speakers so i tilted them down a bit
    4. Building bass traps and treatment for my reflection points
    5. Monitoring a no higher than 80db
    6. Dialing back the high end on my monitors a touch
    7. Shorter mixing sessions

There was a point where I was completely frustrated with the ear pain, so I researched and tried everything that I could. I even went to the doctor only for them to tell me that I have near perfect hearing and don't have any ear drum damage. The combination of the above helped tame the pain and "white noise" that you hear when the room is silent. Also, I'd recommend not mixing on 8inch monitors if you have to sit closer to them. IMO they are way too big for a bedroom mixer.

willy25 likes this.
  7. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

the tweeter makes a hiss noise even when is disconnected. u can hear when u get a few inches closer. is that normal?

yeah the speakers are like one foot away and low setting on my desk. im gonna try to put elevate them and see if that works.

the wierd thing is when i use to use my logitech speakers and didnt have this problem!

8. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

it feels like a bug is walking inside my right ear. even at low volume they bother me

could it be the hiss thaat the tweeter is making?

i tried my home studio speakers and no problem with that even at a loud volume.

9. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

Are the speakers bad/blown?

10. vansinn

The hissing noise isn't a bad tweeter, this is due to an inferior amplifier design.
    That your Logitech's doesn't make this kind of noise indicates the noise doesn't originate from other parts of your gear (like your audio interface).

Yeah, you can try lifting the speakers; however, this type of constant noise won't go away, and even a fairly faint level of such noise can manifest itself in the ears over time, just as you're experiencing it.

I'd replace the speakers. Don't worry too much about the ringing; at this point, I'm fairly sure this will go away once you get rid of the noise that's causing it.

11. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

Hi, i returned the jbls, And went back to my logitechs. Feel much better :) i read on a forum that some peoples ears are sensitive to monitors. That sucks.

12. marcwormjim

I find mine are sensitive to Q-tips being slammed in with an open hand's palm.

13. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

You returned your studio monitors and went back to computer speakers? Yeah that makes complete sense. :facepalm:

You were sitting too close to them, had them at the incorrect height, positioned incorrectly for your room, and were probably listening too loud. Something tells me this has nothing to do with JBL's. Did you even attempt to implement the suggestions that were given here?

14. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

yes i returned them and they are not just simple computer speakers THX signature on them ;)

yes, i tried all the suggestion and just give up at end. i wasnt listening too loud, even at lower volumes it bothered my ears! and i wear ear plugs to play with my amp. im gonna go see a doctor.
    there was nothing wrong with the speakers. its the frequencies to sharp or something. so i wasnt gonna do the no pain no gain thing or get used to it. when your body tells you something is wrong, stop.

15. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

ah stop it you're killing me

16. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

of course they are not at the same level as the JBL's . but good computer speakers.

17. vansinn

Just a general comment..
    There's nothing obscure about returning a set of otherwise good monitors; we're all different and have differing needs.
    What works for one may not work for others; it's about finding what work for you/me.

Before selecting my Mackie 624 MKII's, I tried a set of Adams, which I found super for detecting the most minute detail in acoustic music, but also so crisp that I wouldn't be able to listen and enjoy on them. Still, I'd love such a complementary kit for exactly close listening.

Same goes for headphones. My D770's felt really great at first, but now feels too smatty in the bass and not detailed enough in the highs, so they'll be replaced by some Sennheiser, Sony or ATC cans. No negs otherwise intended towards the 770 ;)

Petar Bogdanov and willy25 like this.