E3 2018

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by StevenC, Jun 10, 2018.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

Ehh I don't trust Ubi as a company. For everything they've done to engender goodwill with their game communities, they've done other crap that eroded that goodwill (granted not to the level of say EA). R6 siege is a perfect example of that and how the characters are blocked behind a progression wall basically. They basically took the DOTA2/LoL model of making you really have to grind to get new characters (if you don't want to pay with real money), which is frankly, an asinine thing to do on a 60$ game imo. It basically just artificially prolongs the lifespan of the game. Conservative estimates put the amount of time to get all the operators at around 150 hours, with more casual players claiming it took them 400 hours. Granted, the operators can all fulfill multiple roles, so it's not the end of the world if you can't sneak up on people as Caveira (even though her stealth/interrogation skills are super useful).

2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I'm 90% in the "this is good for those who would already make fan art for this franchise, and now it has an actual platform WITHIN that thing they're making it of" and 10% "boy, I hope this doesn't lead to the route of 'now we don't have to design content here because people will just make it for us until we dry up that well'"

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I suggested this somewhere else, but I think we're weirdly primed right now to hate on big game companies no matter what they do. Just look at the Battlefield lady-on-the-cover story. You can't do anything in gaming without someone stirring up some internet rage about it. Would we have the same reaction if this was a small respected indie instead?

I just can't jump on the bandwagon for hating game companies for monetizing their work. They are a business at the end of the day. And they're business that are operating in a space where this is how you stay competitive. I don't think the people putting this stuff together (things like microtransactions and loot boxes and disliked monetization strategies I mean) like it anymore than we do.

4. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

It's a great idea, but we all know Ubisoft... I just don't trust them with an idea like this.

5. Albake21

To be fair the BFV thing is WAY more than just "lady on the cover". Without getting in to politics, it pisses me off when all of these feminists come out of no where just to "get back" at gamers for being pissed off when majority aren't upset about the women, they are upset about the weird take on WWII. But of course they have to find something to talk about with their agenda.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

It's not that i have a problem with companies being profitable, it's the way some companies do it. EA, activision and Ubisoft were chronic offenders of emphasizing profit at the expense of the user's experience (such as releasing critical story dlc or fragmenting multiplayer communities with dlc map packs). Other companies like valve/cd projekt red have gone the opposite direction.
    My problen with ea more stems from the whole battlefront 2 pay to win/ubergrinding bullshit, and how they fragmented the battlefield community with dlc map packs (which they're rectifying with bf5 and already did with titanfall2). I don't have a problem with adding in female soldiers, even though the vast majority of women never saw front line combat (barring snipers/resistance fighters). Battlefield was never the most realistic game so I don't have a problem with the customization crap (barring the red dot sights ).

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Is it really though? Where does it say anywhere that this is a feminism discussion? Does a woman on the cover of a game have to be a feminist statement? I guess that's what I mean about everyone being primed for outrage. Putting a woman anywhere on the cover immediately prompts a response of "this must be because of some kind of feminist agenda". I'm convinced there's zero way for them to not be on the receiving end of outrage at this point:
    - Women up front > Feminist agenda!
    - Women in the background > They're just tokens!
    - No women > That's sexist!
    - Lots of diversity > They're just trying to check everything off the "we're progressive" checklist!
    - No diversity > They're a leading example of lack of diversity in the industry that we need to correct!
    - No people on the cover at all > They don't have the courage to have a voice in the matter!

There's zero winning in these kinds of conversations.

mongey likes this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

I think the whole "we need feminism in gaming" thing is vastly overplayed. There have been strong female protagonists in quite a lot of games over the years (ie the Tomb Raider series, Heavenly Sword, Hellblade, Horizon Zero Dawn, Silent Hill 3, Okami,etc).
    The way the industry has been approaching diversity is pretty pathetic honestly. Some developers are literally shoehorning poc/female characters into certain games (or making mention of them being women/poc/gay) when there's no context for it. Bioware has become increasingly obvious about it (especially with Andromeda :barf:).
    Elder Scrolls, The Witcher series and a lot of JRPGs have included groups like that from the get go, and never felt the need to be like HEYYYY THIS CHARACTER IS A STROOONG INDEPENDENT WOMAN/TOKEN POC. If it's relevant to the story, cool. If not, I don't care.
    A good example outside of games would be JK Rowling trying to retcon hermione into being black and dumbledore into being gay, when her own books give no decent supporting information in regards to those details. It's all well and good when the character is actually gay or a poc and that matters in the context of the story (ie Renly Baratheon/Loras Tyrell in Game of Thrones, Native Son by Richard Wright, Incognegro by Mat johnson).

I think the biggest problem is that some of these sjw nutjobs (like most of the writers at kotaku) are super vocal about wanting diversity in every game, when it's not always the correct context. I remember reading an article by kotaku where they complained about the lack of diversity in Kingdom Come: Deliverance, which is a game set in 1500s CZECHSLOVAKIA. Of course there's not going to be much diversity, barring a few turks/magyars you come across. The game's creators literally worked with history professors to ensure that little details like that were period correct. Context is everything. If it's a fantasy rpg game, sure, make a bunch of interesting lgbtqizasdlawsdf elf/tentaclemonster/furry characters.

Noisy Humbucker likes this.
  9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Oh I'm very with you on that one. I just don't read a woman on the cover of the game as making a blatant feminist statement. And even if there's an undercurrent of that, to some point it's playing to what the market wants right now.

Interesting that you mention this as an example -> I was just talking with someone the other day about how the localization of this game into English (according to some article I read) tried to downplay the fact that you're playing as a female for the sake of western audiences.

10. KnightBrolaire

It's relatively obvious that okami is a female. They explicitly mention in the beginning of the game how okami is the embodiment of Amaterasu: "mother of us all" and the japanese sun goddess. :shrug:

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ Absolutely, but the language was tweaked, from what I understand, to sort of downplay the fact. Supposedly the original Japanese text referred to this more often than the western versions. I just finished a playthrough of the game, and it didn't occur to me that the character was female until a good chunk of the way in, and I googled it. Arguably "the mother of us all" is the only real hint you get, and it could be just a figure of speech, so it's not suuuuuuuuuper obvious if you're not looking for it.

12. Albake21

@KnightBrolaire said it pretty perfectly. I wasn't talking about BF's agenda, I was talking about the feminists agenda. That's a whole other discussion that Knight touched on pretty well. I was talking about how feminists come out of the cracks whenever they find chance to pounce on something to shove their own agenda down other's throats. This is exactly what happened with BFV.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  13. KnightBrolaire

It was obvious to me, but i had a serious obsession with world mythology as a kid. Plus, like I said the "mother of us all" line is right in the beginning. I don't think they'd be calling a male god "the mother of us all" or anything like that. Even if that was somehow misconstrued, people could google Amaterasu and read about the mythology.

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'll admit it went over my head - and because you spend a good amount of time not seeing the reference, you forget after a while. The imagery of a white wolf is pretty neutral, so outside of that one reference, there's nothing really to go on. I see what you mean though.