E3 2018

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by StevenC, Jun 10, 2018.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I guess I take this part back - I forget where I saw it, but apparently there was an official statement along the lines of it being in "pre-production". Sounds like it's gonna be a long while for that one.

2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

All we know about Death Stranding is that you can walk in it lol. Definitely can't wait to see more of it though. I'd be very surprised if it has anything to do with MG, especially since Kojima did say it's a completely new IP.

StevenC likes this.
  3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Apparently all fighter in smash ultimate aren’t unlocked from the beginning? Woo. Playing characters I don’t like just to try new ones.

I buy my SF5 characters with cash for a reason.

4. Albake21

I like this WAY more. It makes you want to actually play and feel like you are actually achieving something while doing so. I always loved back in Melee trying to unlock all of the characters. It also makes you try characters you wouldn't normally play. I don't see a problem with this at all.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

that was part of what had me playing melee for so long, was the surprising amount of depth in it (well that and there were constant tournaments when I was in college). I feel like that was the perfect smash game as all the subsequent games felt kind of sluggish in pace/responsiveness and that one was pretty fast feeling.

Albake21 likes this.
  6. Albake21

Well there's a reason why competitive smash still plays Melee. It's still the king in my opinion, but even with that said I'm still super excited for Smash Ultimate.

7. KnightBrolaire

I'm excited for it as well. Probably the only other game besides breath of the wild that lets me justify owning a switch.

8. Mathemagician

I get that other people like it. But there should simply be an option to just start with everyone though. That was those of us without time to waste don’t have to.

I don’t need “a reason” to play a multiplayer game. I play fighting games to play with others. And having a gimped roster behind forced single-player or grinding wins pisses me the fuck off because for my $ single player content in a fighting game isn’t content. It’s filler.

I mean shit I’ll pay extra for a DLC key that immediately unlocks them, THATS how much I hate this shit. I bought the game to play with friends for 1-2 hours. Not to grind “single player” by myself.

RPGS like The Witcher and Fallout exist. And platformers like Mario exist, so the “single player” content in fighting games is always some thrown together ideas that go on for too long versus shit AI.

Just like the endless “fly over everything with metaknight” Subspace emissary in brawl?

Good god my friends and I hated that. We turned to the multiplayer “wins” route and set everything to 1 stock and just ran off the edge of the smallest stage to rack up “wins” to unlock characters. Wow yeah it was “SO” fun just unlocking characters. We ended up drinking and throwing on a movie while just jumping off stages in the background. Got tired and turned it off after a half hour.

Not everyone has the same level of free time for forced grinding in a multiplayer game.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've been more and more thinking that games should more often than not stick to just multiplayer or single player. From a development standpoint, you end up having to basically make two different games/experiences. You're either making two whole separate experiences, or making compromises in one to make it work as the other. It's not impossible to pull off, but there's a strong argument to be made that dedicating your focus to one or the other can make for one singular stronger experience, rather than ending up with one good part of a game and one throw away part, or potentially two "ok" experiences that could have been better without the compromises made for the other mode.

Mathemagician likes this.
  10. Mathemagician

It’s basically content for people that don’t want to turn off that specific game.

Fighting games have 3 settings:

Training room
    Online Unranked
    Online Ranked

Various tournament and spectator settings are cool nice to haves.

Single player games I don’t care to have “my character” shoot another guy.

MMO’s similarly end up being mediocre at both as well. Either make a PvP focused mmo with balance as a priority, or a PVE mmo with group content as a priority.

It’s like people just like ONE game and want it to do everything other games do.

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Given that the topic was Smash games, I don't tend to think of Smash as a "fighting game" in that sense. All kinds of semantic arguments could be made, but I tend to think of it as being more of a party game, almost even an arcade-y kind of game. Although I suppose competitive players probably treat it more like a fighting game than I do.

Some people do only play one game. It's strange to me, but to each their own. I actually find it difficult to get into some games because the sheer number of games I want to play prevents me from investing the needed time/focus on just one at a time.

Albake21 likes this.
  12. Mathemagician

Oh I agree on most points you have there, especially as for me Smash is most fun in local multiplayer. As a party game if my buddy wants to play as say Wario, but that requires 30 “wins” or “beat X boss in the story mode” then that’s time one or both of us isn’t enjoying themselves instead of throwing poke balls and motorcycles at each other or trying to see who wins in a 3 stock Final destination.

I don’t get a sense of “pride and accomplishment” from this kind of stuff.

But on the flip side, I can see from a consumer POV people who only buy 1-2 games a year feel like they get more out of a game and aren’t roped into paying for extra DLC characters every few months. You know you’re not going to get nickel and dimed with a first party Nintendo game.

13. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick Also likes Jeeps and Motocross.

I am most excited about this and the gameplay looks absolutely amazing. I cannot wait. The first one is my wife and I favorite game.

I was really excited when I heard about Fallout, but since I live in a rural area, with crap internet, I more than likely will not get to enjoy it.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  14. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

As we learn more about Fallout 76, while I've come to accept that it's not the game I was hoping it would be, it still may very well be a game that I'll enjoy, maybe even a lot. I was afraid it was going to be a multiplayer griefer's wet dream like Rust or Ark, but Bethesda has made it very clear that's not the direction they want the game to take. While they want PVP to be present and always a possibility, it seems like they want to reward a more cooperative approach. So, less Rust, more Minecraft, which suits me just fine.

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I honestly kind of hate the state of the industry right now. And I have a pretty strong (partly irrational) aversion to DLC in general. If a game requires DLC to enjoy it, I'm just going to skip that game. Or skip the extra content. I would rather have just the base version of a game with missing pieces than have to spend more money on a thing I've already paid for. And I absolutely skip anything that's based on microtransactions or weird time-wasting mechanics or any of that other side of things. Given that I don't play anything online, that leaves me in a weird state of finding it hard to find games that appeal to me, or are targeted to my kind of "gamer". I just want to play through a game, like I would watch a movie or read a book most of the time, and then move on. But that's not what gaming is anymore - now it's mobile / gambling / lootbox / costmetic / competative / time-killing / streaming / create your own experience / join your friends / meme-fodder all over the place, and not at all the kinds of stories/experiences that hooked me on games in the first place.

It is what it is. I'm not going to say that I think the industry should bow to my tastes, I don't need everything to be "for me", but I think there's a hole in the market right now for AAA single player traditional experiences for the older gamers, outside of just high fantasy and JRPGs. Indie games have in some ways taken over that space a bit, and I'm thankful for that, but there's room for something new from the AAA side I think.

16. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

gotta say the only game I'm really interested in is smash ultimate or whatever its called

and that's mainly cause a someone who who call themselves a fighting game fan I have never played a smash game

I'll get hyped on elder scrolls at e3 2020 where they show alpha game play

Albake21 and StevenC like this.
  17. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Death Stranding and Last of Us II have my interest. I'd be VERY surprised if Death Stranding is part of the Metal Gear saga because I'm pretty sure Hideo Kojima as an individual does not own the Metal Gear IP anymore since he got booted from the company. I mean, Metal Gear Survive? Come on lol

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'd be curious to hear some opinions about this one:
    Ubi has setup this sort of collaborative art/music thing for BG+E2 where you can contribute your own stuff to the game and if it's used they'll throw some money at you, and it's sparked a weird argument/debate among some people I work with.

The argument some are making is that what Ubi has set up is a sort of evil predatory speculative work platform to take advantage of people, whereas others see it as just a harmless (and pretty cool) community involvement thing. Anyone have thoughts on this?

19. KnightBrolaire

same kind of idea that valve had with dota 2 skins or csgo skins (and everyone who's followed suit and copied that concept ie PUBG,LoL, COD, etc). If they're just making small assets or skins then I don't see a problem. The problem is if they try and outsource work to the public due to laziness. It's hard to say without knowing what kind of guarantees/percentages they're offering for using your stuff, and how that would compare to a pro in that field. My guess is it's partially a shrewd business plan to save them some money and engender goodwill among some of the community. They don't have to hire more expensive creators, the community feels incentivized to make things in the hopes of getting some money/recognition, and UBI gets tons of free content that they didn't have to pay for.

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't think it's a "we don't want to hire people" kind of idea, since they're a huge company who already have dedicated artists and the resources to hire people if they need it, it struck me as a community stunt more than anything else. Try to make the fans feel more involved. In my mind, I see it as something like the universal choir thing Devvy did a while ago, but with a small chance of getting paid.