E3 2018

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by StevenC, Jun 10, 2018.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Very excited for that one. But at the same time, I'm trying to imagine where there is to go with it from where it is now. If it's more of the same, why wouldn't I just go back and play the one that's out already? It's still great. If it's different, there's a risk of "fixing" something that wasn't broken in the first place.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  2. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

You can have "more of the same" with the same mechanics and more levels.

There aren't many games I play where I wish I could keep going at the end. Doom was one of those.

TedEH likes this.
  3. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Not gonna lie. I was pretty excited by the new Halo trailer. Nothing mindblowing it, but I'm of that age that played the first on the original Xbox at launch, high school for Halo 2 (which was also my first online MP experience), college for Halo 3 (tons of Team Slayer was played in the dorm) and Reach. I enjoyed 4 and 5 although I didn't play them as much as I had in the past because of declining free time. I've always had a lot of fun with the series.

Fallout 76 looks fun, but I still need to play Fallout 4 some more to have gotten my money's worth. Wolfenstein looks good, but I haven't finished the last one yet. etc...

Can the industry just take a year off for me to catch up :lol:

4. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Skull and Bones and Starlink still look cool from Ubisoft. Obviously excited for Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Square Enix was kinda boring.

5. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

I'm way behind on assassin's creed games but this one seems super cool.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  7. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

pretty lack luster for me so far

new elder scrolls, great . but announcing games in pre production pisses me off

8. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Ghost Of Tsushima seems very cool, it's an open world RPG which takes place in 13th century Japan.

9. KnightBrolaire

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

To be fair, the only thing that was shown was a teaser image, right? We have no idea how far along production actually is, and while I know very little about Elder Scrolls games (I could never really get into them, but should probably give Skyrim another shot hah), those are pretty huge games right? I mean, you'd have to be pretty far along in production by now to say that it's coming, I would think? If it was still in pre-prod, that would strike me as too early to show anything, since an actual release would be sooooooooooo far off that the hype would be meaningless.

Uuuuuuunless the teaser just exists because it has to be there, lest they endure the rage of the internet. :lol:

11. KnightBrolaire

Between Ghost of Tsushima and Senjiro looks like I'm going to get all my gaijin weaboo power fantasies fullfilled

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've been noticing a really strange reaction I've been getting to a lot of the E3 stuff this year and it's this weird sense of.... "meh, I'm not the audience for this". Which is weird to me. I remember a time when pretty much any video game basically was YEAH VIDEO GAMES WOOOO PLAY ALL THE GAMES, but now it's an industry that has grown faster than my interests can keep up with it. So many games are trying to appeal to so many people. I still really like video games obviously, but just.... so little excitement for a lot of it anymore. I guess it's becoming like music or movies, where it's not just one thing anymore, it's a whole range of different genres and things that will appeal or not appeal to different people. I'm ok with this. More just making an observation.

Mathemagician and StevenC like this.
  13. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Sony's E3 was by far the weirdest and most anticlimactic conference I've ever seen. They showed a few things that were cool, but the actual conference itself was a complete joke. I even went to a theater by me for a PlayStation Experience showing.

StevenC likes this.
  14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Sony is doubling down on the long uninteresting musical performances before trailers I see. Fair play to them, though, for not really having a lot of shooty games, but that was instead replaced with slowly walking through dark areas and stealth killing people without shooting them. Sony's style of showing gameplay has never appealed to me for some reason, despite enjoying some of the games.

Roll on Smash Bros!

15. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

The 90's Doom was followed by Doom 2: Hell on Earth, which used the same engine, added a few characters and added two weapons. But the experience of playing Doom 2 was transcendent for gamers at the time, because the maps were generally more fun to play through, and even though there were not a lot of new elements to the game, those elements were put to good use.
    I loved the old Heretic games, too, using the Doom engine, and I'm really secretly hoping that those make a comeback, but they were so less hyped than Doom, because why play a 3D medieval-type game with scattered RPG elements and Zelda-like item inventory when you could just grab a chaingun and go blasting hordes of demons?!

TedEH and The906 like this.
  16. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Sooooo..... no FFVII remake. It's not happening, is it...

17. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

EVERY FIGHTER RETURNS!

Albake21 likes this.
  18. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

At least 3 years long hype train for The Elder Scrolls VI has finally started :D

19. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Good luck waiting another 5 years on that hype train lol

lurè and KnightBrolaire like this.
  20. lurè

lurè SS.org Regular

Hyped for Death Stranding. Kojima never disappoints.
    I've seen a lot of videos trying to find links between DS and the Metal Gear saga, but I honestly think is going to be an indipendent game or saga. If I'll be proven wrong, I'll probably lose my mind.

TES 6! Can't wait for that, but we're going to wait at at least 3 years.
    Bethesda still has to release a Skyrim special edition for every device powered by electrical current.