Dual Rectifier Solo questions

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by monorady, Jun 10, 2018.

1. monorady

monorady Avid Lurker

Hey guys,

So I literally just had this head show up at my door today... friends dad flips houses, snagged it along with this dope JBL PA system and was gonna sell it to a pawn shop. To his dismay and my rejoice, the shop was closed and they needed to get rid of the goods ASAP so the son sent a message around asking if anyone wanted the stuff FOR FREE so I replied within two minutes saying not to move that shit anywhere.

So now have them! The amp works perfectly and sounds brtual af, just a little physically dirty. Rather ironic that this showed up though considering that I've been absolutely DYING to own a quality high gain tube head and cab for about 3 years now (but could never afford a set up cuz high school), and just got a Peavey XXX and SA cab literally a month ago. If I only waited... but I guess I have a backup for when I start playing with bands and shit lol

But my questions are as follows:

1) There is a switch that can go between Vacuum Tube and Silicon Diode rectification, and I'm not exactly sure which one to be on. The thing is obviously loaded with tubes (Electro Harmonic 12AX7's and 6L6's), so I would assume the fist option is right.

2) Is there only one channel? The lack of a channel switching knob and the name leads me to believe there is only one, but there are two sets of knobs on the front. Rather confused.

3) Is it ok to keep my amps stacked like this on top of each other? It makes it easy to switch between them but idk if this ok for the amps. Will probably put the XXX on the bottom if so because of the lack of front ventilation.

Thanks guys!

cGoEcYk likes this.
  2. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

I’m sorry I just can’t get past the fact people still refer to stuff as dope in 2018:lol:

Beheroth likes this.
  3. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

I’m sorry I just can’t get past the fact people still refer to stuff as dope in 2018:lol:

oniduder likes this.
  4. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

1. Either or is fine. The difference is in the tightness of the low end. Well, as tight as a rectifier is going to get.

2. No, it should be a two channel amp, and you can probably find a footswitch used on ebay or Reverb. The knob to switch channels should be on the back of the amp.

3. yes it's perfectly fine to keep your amps stacked like that. You can always run a small fan to help with ventilation

monorady likes this.
  5. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

1. You use whichever setting you like. The Diode setting will be a little tighter, and the Tube setting will be a little looser. This is where the name Dual Rectifier comes from.... you get to select from 2 types of rectifiers to dial in how tight you want it to feel.

2. There are 2 channels, but each has a few modes. The top row is the orange channel, which is vintage high gain, or it has a clean mode. The bottom row is the red channel which is modern high gain, or you can channel clone it to orange. There should be a channel selector switch on the back right of the amp, next to the channel cloning switches, which sets up what you want each of the 2 channels to be.

3. Yes, it OK to stack them, but I typically put cardboard under the feet so that round spots don't get dented into the lower amp.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    monorady likes this.
  6. monorady

monorady Avid Lurker

Awesome, thanks for the great answers guys. Really appreciate it

7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Sick find! You have some great friends :lol:

8. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

You have good friends. Please clean that poor Rectifier and enjoy!!!

9. monorady

monorady Avid Lurker

Ikr still blown away this happened haha. Gotta get some solvent though, theres paint all over the front grill. Dunno how someone managed to get it all over this thing...

10. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

The silicone diode switch will select between the 2 large rectifier tubes or solid state diode rectification which makes the sound tighter, faster.

There's a switch on the back to let you switch channels... or buy a foot switch to plug in to the front panel.

Yep... fine to stack the amps like that. But I would add some cardboard as mentioned earlier. Also makes them more stable sometimes too.

Be careful taking the paint off with solvent... something too strong will take off the control panel labels.

11. monorady

monorady Avid Lurker

Damn, ok thanks for pointing that out to me. Will watch out for that