Dream Theater

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by p0ke, May 23, 2018.

1. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

You can't tab what you can't hear; if you can guess the scale/chord, you basically know which notes you can use to transcribe something and which ones you cannot so, even if you can't clearly hear every single note that's being played without slowing down. Reminds me how some people find it so unbelievable that others can transcribe so fast. If it's buried in the mix or otherwise undistinct... good luck! :rofl:

That said, the lack of attention is indeed sad. I like the feel of the bass shaking my body, so sometimes I enjoy listening to bass stems... or go to Felipe Andreoli's (Angra's bassist) YT channel.
    To be honest I still think that the guitars are crushing the mix, so your mileage will undoubtedly vary. :lol: Even if I'll gladly admit this wasn't the kind of song I was expecting DT to write at all.

2. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Finally got to listen to the new song and yeah, it's great. Gotta listen to it a few a more times to get into the details properly though.

3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

oooohhh where where where??? me needs some Opeth <3 !!! pleaaaaaaase

OMG!!... powertabs saved my life back in the day. It was the ONLY place where I could find accurate tabs for DT and many other bands. But mainly for DT, that was THE only place to go. Since as fucking alwyas you can buy a gutir tab book, but never a bass one. And yeh I know there an antology and the A Change of Seasons.... fucking hate it when they shut it down :'( eventually they kinda opened?.... donno I spend like good amount of years without being fully active learning new songs and then suddenly everything changed, I couldnt find anything. Even the software, now Its TuxGuitar or something like that

yeah thats what tey do in DT. I never like that approach. I always feel the bass needs a couple of extra dBs ad it should be fiine

Veldar likes this.
  4. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I really love JP’s tone on this new one!!

5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Some of them got uploaded to ultimate-guitar under different people's names or got directly copied to Guitar Pro and someone else took credit, infuriatingly, and since it's all free tabs and you can't reclaim them it pissed me off so much I quit tabbing. There was another dude on PTA who went by the name "Orchid" that was a bass player and did really, really accurate bass tabs and I put guitar over a couple of them (Leper Affinity, April Ethereal, Funeral Portrait I know for sure, I think Bleak maybe, it's been over 10 years so I have a hard time remembering). I went over them and helped with a couple other people's Opeth tabs as well. I think all in all there's about 20 Opeth tabs I either made entirely myself, did just guitar or bass, or just edited and thus I'd stand by bass accuracy. I'll put them on google drive or something and PM you later. Here's what I remember working on that for sure had bass:

Forest of October
    Advent
    Nectar
    To Bid You Farewell
    April Ethereal
    When
    Demon of the Fall
    Moonlapse Vertigo
    Serenity Painted Death (this was the first thing I tabbed and I never went back to it so the bass probably blows)
    The Leper Affinity
    Bleak
    The Drapery Falls
    Dirge for November (I just edited this)
    The Funeral Portrait
    Wreath (this took so damn long and I didn't like the song much, so I finished the guitar, started on the bass, and said "i don't feel like it" after about 1/3 the song, so I think the versions that made it to the wild all were missing bass but my copy has part of it!)
    A Fair Judgement
    Windowpane
    Closure
    Hope Leaves (I THINK I did bass? I really can't remember now, maybe I did most of it and someone else uploaded it first)
    Ghost of Perdition
    Baying of the Hounds
    Reverie/Harlequin Forest
    The Grand Conjuration
    Isolation Years

The Ghost Reveries songs were my favorite to play, that is a great album for playing along with.

This post brought to you by Dream Theater!

RE: PTA, Jordan Baker first showed up on there and did a couple tabs that made my jaw drop. LTE's Acid Rain is the big one I remember. I think maybe he did DT's This Dying Soul also? He did a couple other ones as well that were less complex, like I believe he did OSI - Hello Helicopter. That guy was the best on there for sure, but he was extremely non-prolific. I wish the PTA was still up so I could check these things. I always wished he'd do some Images and Words stuff cause that tab book was terrible. Some guy did a much better version of Learning to Live than was on album, but it still had issues.

A-Branger likes this.
  6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

amazing!

7. Kaura

Kaura bedroom djent kid

Am I seriously the only one who finds the snare really obnoxious in the new song? Way too loud and "explosive" sounding, imo. What is it with this band and not managing to get a decent snare tone these days. :lol:

8. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

:hug::wub3::wub:

9. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Wow, that's a lot of tabs. Given they're Opeth songs, it must've taken you some time to do those :eek:

10. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

About Fall into the Light, I don't really like the intro riff the way it starts out, but what it develops into is pretty nice. But the first 3min of the song just feels like filler compared to the clean + harmony lead part. It's really really really awesome. It somehow reminds me a bit of the 5:40-6:00 + 7:20-8:05 riff in July Morning (the Uriah Heep song).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  11. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

probably the best thing about tabbing Opeth is that the riffs tend to repeat so much that you don't have to keep rewinding. :)

Wouldn't mind seeing those tabs. :)

New Dream Theater? nope.

12. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

This song wasn't included in the Astonishing tab book, so I transcribed it the other day:

AxeHappy and TheShreddinHand like this.
  13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I read a review of the album somewhere earlier today, and that made it sound like it'll be in my top 5 this year. I was already looking forward to it after hearing the two songs, but even more now :)

Update: this one

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

He liked The Astonishing so... eeehhhh? I'm still in the wait and see camp, even though the 2 new songs are great.

15. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

16. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Forgot this one. Thanks for the editing time limit SSO! :lol:

p0ke likes this.
  17. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Paralyzed came out today. I like it, but, ummmm.... This feels like it could have been a Breaking Benjamin track.

setsuna7 likes this.
  18. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

That was pretty boring compared to the other two songs they've released so far! It wasn't bad actually, but nothing really caught my attention during the 4 minutes that went by listening to it...

19. thesnowdog

thesnowdog SS.org Regular

I'd never heard BB but now that I have you're right. :)

20. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

I rather liked it. Nothing fancy, but most of the time I actually prefer the more straightforward Dream Theater songs to those that go on forever and ever with a million complex parts and patterns and all that...

setsuna7 likes this.