Dream Theater

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by p0ke, May 23, 2018.

1. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Probably because he's the smiling face with the most money in the game.

2. Curt 8771

Curt 8771 SS.org Regular

Here's to hoping the next albums better.
    Saw the astonishing live and It was very boring.

Also as far as vocals go, the shattered fortress shows with MP and haken were very nice and refreshing vocal wise.

3. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I'm pretty sure it will be, as long as it's a 'normal' album, not a double or triple one...

4. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I imagine it must be disheartening to write a double album over 2 hours long just to have it received so poorly.

5. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

On the other hand Petrucci wrote what he really felt like writing so fair game to him.

6. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I still think it's a big step up from the last few. I don't know if the bad reaction is due to it being far less "riffy" and technical. I thought the melodies were far more memorable and that it worked as a bunch of songs a lot more than the big clonky riff collages they'd been having on the last few albums. Maybe that's not it at all and everyone would have been fine with the non-technical melody-driven album if it had different melodies, and I'm just the only one who finds it catchy, but this is still my guess!

7. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I don't think the riffs and melodies are bad by any means, but they're mostly just too generic and cheesy, and there's way too much material to properly "scan" through to find the gems. There were a bunch of moments on the album where I thought "wow, that was awesome", but too few and far between to catch my attention for the whole duration.

Exchanger likes this.
  8. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

There are a lot of really good moments on the album and I like it enough for what it is, but whenever I listen to it I also feel like I'm skipping every other song due to it being 2 minutes of computer noises or yet another drawn out interlude with nothing going on. The cheese is a bit more prevalent than typical DT material but they stated the biggest issue in the lyrics: "People just don't have time for music anymore", which is what I'm thinking when I see a 130 minute album with maybe 40 minutes of actual content.

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Eh, I didn't notice it having that much filler. Then again, I've listened to Opeth - Heritage and Frances the Mute a bunch of times so anything feels more substantial :D

10. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

to put it in simple terms. If they grab the best songs out of the two albums and put them into only one. Then they could have had a pretty cool/great album.... Theres way too much filler songs

and common, just listen to the start of every song. 90% of them are slow piano intros, slow soapy songs... I get not every album has to be a metal or heavy, but they took the balance to the slow/piano/orchestra/pop/thing bit too far this time

11. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Give me an album opener like 6:00. It's not overtly heavy (though the guitar sound at the time was quite a change for DT), but it hit's you right from the beginning with the drum fill intro and just keeps going without ever feeling tedious.

They didn't even really wank that much before 6DoiT, it was more a coherence of melody lines from all the instruments combined, though that of course has much to do with the way KMoore wrote his parts.

Curt 8771, fps, StevenC and 1 other person like this.