Dream Theater

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by p0ke, May 23, 2018.

1. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Dominici uploaded this to youtube a few years back. Hanging out and rehearsing when they were still Majesty.

Talk about another era. JP playing Randalls and BC Rich. Myung still doesn't say anything though :lol:

Herrick and bostjan like this.
  2. groverj3

Some potato quality shots of the Images and Words sessions.

r33per likes this.
  3. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Primus sucks...

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I'm not scanning through an hour and 38 minutes of video to try and figure out what you mean.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I'm not sure, but at 48 minutes, Portnoy is wearing a Primus T Shirt, then a moment later, he appears in blackface (?!)

6. groverj3

I didn't even notice this. I kind of just skipped around the video.

7. bostjan

Yeah, same here. I can't really imagine anyone watching that start to finish. There was something about a Primus hat, too, but I forgot when. The parts of them recording Images and Words was really cool. It's kind of nice to see them fuck up little parts here and there, since they have this reputation as the invincible band that can play anything without a lazy note anywhere. Some of the little skits in between were interesting - the one where they are having Thanksgiving and Myung actually gives thanks before they eat is something - probably the most I've heard him say in one instance. :lol:

8. bostjan

Double post - I guess the database is issuing more double posts lately to make up for the lost posts from the other day.

9. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

Related/unrelated.... am I the only one that regularly sees Myung playing his ass off and he's either buried in the mix or the output you're hearing sounds a lot less elaborate than his fingers are implying?

Herrick, Avedas, groverj3 and 2 others like this.
  10. bostjan

No. There have been threads about that very fact on several other forums, the debate that ensues is typically whether a) he's buried in the mix on every album OR b) he's buried in the mix on some albums, playing really simplistic stuff on other albums, and stands out just a little bit on a couple albums.
    I've seen them live 12 or so times, and I've been able to hear Myung quite well in most of those shows, and his performances, to me, were either really great and airtight or a little bit sloppy, depending on the night. Mind you, it's pretty easy to look a little sloppy on stage with the rest of the musicians in the band - I'm not trying to knock his skills.

11. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

It was the Primus cap on the car dashboard in the first few minutes, that's all. ;)

12. wankerness

Ah. Well, you're right. Primus do kind of suck. :p

r33per likes this.
  13. bobbyprayogo

bobbyprayogo SS.org Regular

Metropolis is a masterpiece.
    As to the new stuff, I like Mangini work.

14. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Damn straight. Although i feel we might be a little off topic...

Here's a question, though: how do we feel about the LTE albums? Not Dream Theater, but still Dream Theater, right?

15. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

16. groverj3

Basically. I, personally, like them a lot. It's good noodly nonsense.

r33per likes this.
  17. wankerness

Liquid Tension Experiment 1 is a bad combo of haphazard noodling and these stupid "heads" that sound like the shred versions of inspirational Christian music (State of Grace, Kindred Spirits, Universal Mind, Freedom of Speech to a lesser degree), but I really love Osmosis and the album's still kind of fun. "Chris and Kevin's Excellent Adventure" has fun stick playing ?

LTE2 is really great and has none of the problems of the first one. The "song" sections of Acid Rain, Biaxident and When the Water Breaks in particular are better than a lot of dream theater songs. Even the less melodic/structured songs are infinitely better to listen to than more recent dream theater's bad solo sections. And I LOVE Rudess's playing on it. It's definitely the high point of his playing. I'm never thinking "turn off that goddam siren" like I was immediately on Metropolis 2 :p

LordIronSpatula and bostjan like this.
  18. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

I actually quite like LTE 1. For a band that is sometimes described as 'basically Dream Theater', I find Tony Levin's role in Liquid Tension to be fairly underrated. Plus those two albums coincide with what was probably Petrucci's peak level of playing, even though I think that comes across more in his work with Dream Theater during that time than LTE.

If you guys haven't seen it, Petrucci's clinic at MI in 1998 is a must-watch. Surprisingly good audio/video quality, and he plays a bunch of LTE stuff because they'd just released their first album. Goes over all his gear as well, and even plays that song he wrote for that pinball game. Really cool window into the playing of 'young' Petrucci.

19. Herrick

Herrick Hello Mangs

:rofl:

Yeah even in his prime he never did the "tough guy" vocals very well. His voice simply isn't suited for that.

Dominici has a good voice but he didn't have the vocal range the band wanted. Dominici sounds absolutely dreadful on some of the old live bootlegs. I bet he would've sounded a lot better if they wrote melodies he could handle. Other than singing off key during that Anniversary show, Dominici's voice actually sounded better than LaBrie's.

They should've started tuning down 10 years ago maybe even more than 10 years ago.

Here's the video grover3j mentioned. It's very interesting.

20. groverj3

That's great, I hadn't seen this yet.

He messed up the double stop bends in the slow section of Paradigm shift. Even a god can bleed! He also strikes me as being kind of nervous at the beginning of this. Mortal after all.

Also, that is indeed the video I was talking about Re: LaBrie