Does This Guitar Exist?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by JDizzle, Jun 5, 2017.

1. JDizzle

JDizzle SS.org Regular

Hi all,

So I'm looking at selling my Ibanez RGD2120Z and maybe a Parker Nitefly M (since I already have 2... shh). This would leave me with a single Parker Nitefly M as my only working guitar... Room for expansion!

I know what I want in a guitar, but I'm hoping some of you wonderful people can guide me towards a guitar that boasts the following specs without hitting custom shop prices:

25.5" Scale
    Narrow Neck
    Thin Neck
    Large Fretboard Radius
    C-shaped neck profile
    Stainless Steel Frets

I was hoping Ibanez would sell something that suits but all the stainless steel fretted guitars on their site have variations of the wizard neck which, as far as I know, means a cricket bat for a neck.

Cheers in advance
    :cheers:

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

A few that popped into my head immediately:

Schecter Banshee Elite or KM6 (12-16" compound radius on both).
    EBMM JP or Majesty series.
    Kiesel.

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I was going to say EBMM JP, but someone beat me to it.

4. Kingcrimson

Kingcrimson Electra Glide

Personally, I wouldn't take either anything Schecter or Ernie Ball especially the JB with anybody's money. The JB feels like you're playing cardboard, the neck is tiny to accommodate JB's tiny fingers and it's too overpriced for a CNC non-build.

Now Lowell Kiesel founder of Carvin back in '46 makes a unbeatable guitar for it's craftsmanship and price point. Although not 100% handcrafted you just can't beat the sleek feel, thin neck with dual-action truss rod and 2 extra carbon-fiber rods in neck and tone of these guitars, again based on the price.

It didn't notice a budget that you are targeting, but for a A6 (7,8,9) 24-fret, 25.5" scale bolt-on (I'm not a fan of bolt-on over bolt-in) direct mounted pups for max resonance and sustain under $1K its a force to be reckoned with.

Check them out: http://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/a6

Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  5. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I have a banshee elite 8 the neck is a dream im assuming the 6 would be too. Ultra thin c and can get fixed bridge or Floyd

6. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Also the new Chapman V shaped guitar!!

7. JDizzle

JDizzle SS.org Regular

Thanks for all the responses guys.
    Kiesel would be one of my first considerations if I didn't live in the UK. In all honesty, the Parker Nitefly I have now would be perfect if the neck was a tad thinner. Good for tone, but not for my dinky fingers.

8. You

You รพ

Custom guitar from a Lutheir.

9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I don't think you will easily find what you are looking for if you think Ibanez necks are wide.

10. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

The rgaix series necks are super thin.

11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

At 43mm, the necks are fairly wide, relative to thickness of course.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  12. BMO

BMO Geetarist

I see the people recommending Kiesel and wanted to throw in I would go 2nd hand if going for a Kiesel. Their customer service has been a nightmare, they have been rushing builds and damaging guitars during those rushes, and they have been known to delay orders to take parts off already built guitars guitars and add them to either to a NAMM build during NAMM season or add to a higher priority customers' build. And if you have issues with your guitar, while there is a return or repair policy, choosing repair runs the risk of them glancing at the guitar and sending it back, blaming you for insulting their craftsmanship and they then mess with your hardware out of spite. I did hours and hours of research on Kiesel, including a ton of research on this site when I wanted one because I saw a lot of bands playing them live lately. When you do get a good guitar from them which is bound to happen it's amazing because every single guitar they build in the CNC is a scan of a handbuilt model by the father and son owners. However 2nd hand is best bet because the risk, although low due to their great return policy, is not worth contributing to a company with a nightmare customer service and self-destrucively arrogant owner and builders. But also paying that absurd of a price they ask for could yield you a handbuilt instrument from a luthier with a good reputation and better customer service, instead of a CNC clone of a handbuilt guitar from a company with tons of issues coming to light lately.

13. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

I'm not gonna argue with this guy because he's right in that there were a few guitars that made it out that shouldn't have and there were some customer service mishaps, but I will say that was a long winded response about why you shouldn't buy a kiesel because of CNC product and bad customer service from a guy who's never bought one or dealt with one of their customer service reps...................

Now that I got that out of the way I'll put my 2 cents in. My first recommendation is Kiesel. You'll be able to get all of the specs you want on pretty much every model they offer. I've ordered from them twice now and have zero complaints, and both of my orders were option 50 orders (non returnable because of non standard options). The sales rep I used was Chris Hong and he was amazing. He answered all my questions (there were a ton) in a very timely manner through email and was just super professional and easy to work with. If you go with Kiesel when you call in just ask for Chris and he'll take care of you.

Now if you don't want to go with Kiesel I only know of a few other options

EBMM JP models

There were a few Scherer models if I remember correctly that have what you want (banshee and apocalypse)

And if I remember right the Ormsby production guitars have all of it too

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  14. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Without trying to derail this thread, I feel it necessary to leave this here...

Chiba666, that short guy and oracles like this.
  15. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

*Edited to remove sleep deprivation-fueled suggestions*

16. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Have you considered assembling a Warmoth? The specs you list are are all options available on their custom neck builder.

In theory, you could buy yourself a Strat and slap on a replacement neck from them built to those specs (since they're all designed to fit the Strat neck pocket). Or, you could order a body from them as well, of which they have quite a few options, and make yourself a kit guitar.

I'm building a Strat with their parts right now. Based on my calculations, it'll only run me about $1,300 or so... and I'm spacing out my parts orders, so I'm not paying it all at once.

Only thing, since you're across the pond, I think they're still struggling with this CITES fiasco, so bear that in mind if you plan on ordering anything in the Rosewood family.

17. squids

squids .

a lot of the premium ibanez's have a much rounder neck than i would have expected. like a good solid C. i'm not a thin neck guy (wizards/Jem necks make my hand cramp) but i don't really like gibsons/schecters either (more hand cramping), and the thicker ibanez's feel like a really good fender with a flatter radius. idk about ss frets tho...
    also could maybe be interested in your rgd2120 depending on what your looking to get for it...

18. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

If you get a kiesel, just have it built without any "option 50's" that would void the 10 day trial. For every nightmare story we read and comment on here on SSO, there are probably another 1000 guitars shipped without issue. The warnings about hipshot saddle height and CS troubles should be considered when making a big purchase, but it is the one company that pops into my mind that can quickly and affordably build exactly what you want spec wise. You can ask for Chris over the phone and order with him, as he seems to have the best reputation. If it doesn't impress you after a few days, then just ship it back to them.