Dingwall pickups for SR405EQM?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by WintermintP, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

@LordIronSpatula Update on the status.

I went ahead and bought the Tone Capsule, which I'll probably have to wait until Friday to get it? The thing is, though, that I found a group of guys that were recommended to me by my college professor (I'm in a music industry programme which covers not only stuff about record labels, distribution, etc. but also stuff about engineering and even being an instrument tech), and those guys said they'll install the preamp for $50. Good idea, or should I attempt to do this myself? I'm a little nervous because I've never seen the likes of the wiring on this bass before. Not that I haven't seen any kind of wiring at all before, though, because I actually have installed the 89s on the Snakebyte along with my mother, but I didn't know a volume pot could be plugged into the same board as a 3-band EQ and what have you.

WintermintP

2. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

Based on the questions you've been asking, I think the $50 might be worth it to save yourself some hassle. It's a simple job for someone who can solder well and understands the components and wiring involved. But if anything does go awry it can be pretty hard to figure out the problem. I've encountered a few things I probably wouldn't have been able to troubleshoot without a solid understanding of basic circuits and my multimeter. Since you're newer to this, I'd say just have them do it so you don't have to worry about anything.

lewis likes this.
  3. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

4. WintermintP

Yea but at least you're lucky in the sense that you don't have something similar to the likes of a motherboard you have to worry about. Remember, as for my case, everything's plugged onto a board. Also, that wiring doesn't seem complex at all. Messy, but I was still able to understand at least half of it.

@LordIronSpatula Honestly, if there were a wiring diagram for this bass that would've been really helpful but Ibanez stopped doing those since 2008. Besides, their diagrams only show which wire goes where but never talks about which wire actually does what. Looks like $50 it is... It'll be a little tight because I'm essentially using all of the money I got by selling the drum kit just for the Tone Capsule.

WintermintP

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  5. WintermintP

@LordIronSpatula I just talked with the tech in person. What he's telling me is that the pickups were made specifically for the OEM preamp and he's also saying that there's a very high chance the Tone Capsule won't work at all because it was built for a bass that didn't have a preamp to begin with. He says I should just look into getting a different bass instead as the bass itself is just bad and is overpriced. He made an angry rant over this and refused the job altogether.

#rip

EDIT: As for the strings, the guys at the other store said they just got to the supplier and they're going to take an ADDITIONAL month before they get to the store. The month before when I ordered them the guys said it should be there 1 August but when I talked to them that day, nope, additional month.

WintermintP

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  6. WintermintP

I was left with a choice: to use Loki Bass for the rest of the album or boil existing bass strings. I boiled existing bass strings hoping that I could at least get the preamp installed so that I can get at least some kind of improvement in tone. Nope. I had a hunch it was going to sound too good to be true. And too good to be true it was.

As it turns out, that preamp is only compatible with basses that were made with the Tone Capsule in mind, which would have already gotten the Tone Capsule installed in the first place. Makes me wonder why they even have the Tone Capsule available as a separate product at this point.

Now the only bragging right I have is the ability to say a Darkglass product was mine for a day.

WintermintP

7. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

[​IMG]
    for you for buying the tone capsule in the first place

and your tech is a retard, your bass use passive pickups you just have to wire them to the tone capsule as instructed in the manual and there you go.
    now that you have it, use it

lewis likes this.
  8. WintermintP

@Beheroth

What he said was that the preamp in the bass and the pickups themselves are designed to work specifically with each other, and thus if the preamp is removed, then everything would stop working (that's his logic anyway). He also initially said that the Tone Capsule was originally intended for bass that never had one before. I did notice a board on each module except for the volume pot, that might have a factor.

I think what he's trying to say was that if he were to replace everything the Blend knob and everything else wouldn't work and if I were to get the bass with the mods applied and I were to dislike it, it's impossible to go back. Everyone at the store kept saying I should just get a different bass altogether for the exact same reason and forget the Tone Capsule completely.

I even asked if they would do it if I bought a separate volume and blend knob so that the whole circuitry would be gutted and it would be a completely different instrument at that point but they still said they won't do it even if they were paid a grand.

WintermintP

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  9. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

no the pickups are passive they don't need the preamp to work you can just wire them straight to the jack and they'll work, you can use a standard vol/vol/tone passive config, vol/blend/tone or you can wire the tone capsule to it.

I do agree that buying the tone capsule was a really bad idea as i've told you multiple times.

But, now that you got it, you might as well put it to use, either wire it yourself or find a real tech

lewis and LordIronSpatula like this.
  10. WintermintP

He also said something about wood combinations... something along the lines of "the Tone Capsule won't sound the proper way unless they're of specific wood combinations... your body is Basswood, correct?"

WintermintP

11. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

Find a real tech. That's a big red flag.

12. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

13. WintermintP

But there are only a handful of techs around here. The guy at L&M (dodgy as hell and doesn't know what drop tuning means; plenty of bad experiences with this guy), the guy I talked to today, Greigg (who has no experience outside traditional guitars and basses), and Rainer. So that means the only option left is Rainer, and I haven't been able to find him lately.

WintermintP

14. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

Wow, what a convoluted journey this thread has been!

As others have said, it is absolutely possible to wire your pickups to a tone capsule. Maybe they were developed in conjunction with the OEM pre, but that sounds more like marketing-speak than anything else. They are passive pickups, as are the FD-3s in a Dingwall NG-2. Which, by the way, were not specifically designed to work with the Tone Capsule either - there are plenty of guys with Dingwalls on TalkBass swapping out their Glockenklang pres and others for Darkglass and vice versa. Pres designed to work with passive pickups are supposed to be interchangeable. How the Darkglass will sound with your pickups is another question entirely, but it will definitely function. I could see a tech not wanting to hybridize with the OEM preamp components, but the rest of it is BS.

To me, it sounds like your tech is looking for an excuse not to do the job. Maybe he's worried you won't be satisfied with the results and doesn't want an argument after he does the work. Maybe he thinks the expenditure is questionable and is trying to steer you away from it (like others in this thread). Maybe his spidey-sense is tingling...

15. WintermintP

@Beheroth @LordIronSpatula

Okay. Great news for the both of you.

The seller actually has his own ties with a bunch of other techs. He's going to come up with a solution soon.

WintermintP

16. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

the tone capsule is a pre-amp. pickups wont matter

its a pre-amp that should come with their own EQ section depending on your bass configuration. Same reason you can buy a "wiring pre-amp kit" from Aguilar, SD, ect. They sell you the pre-amp with a 2/3/4 EQ pots to fit your specific bass. You jsut wire your pickups to it and be done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ect ect ect

also *facepalm* at you boiling your strings!!.... cmon dude! you are better than that. go to the shop and buy a new set!

17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yup, thats why the bass work

yeh kinda. You can still play a bass in full passive mode, just like a normal guitar is passive. Most Fender basses are like that. They dont have an EQ section, jsut a tone knnob, just like on a guitar. Just would need to re-wired to worn in this configuration. Also bass would be lower in output tho, reason why some amps have a "active/passive" bass mode input

the tone capsule is a pre-amp EQ, you remove the one in your current bass, and re-place it with the new one. Tahts the point of it. Or add it to a bass who doesnt have one. As long as the pickups are passive as most basses are, it should be fine

I wont call that guy a "tech" and I would stop using it

18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

hahahahahahaha dude that "tech" sounds like an absolute dickhead.
    Even if i were completely ignorant to life in general, I would still not think or come out with some of the stuff he has said to you.
    What a tool

19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

also, try and wire the pickups up in a way that can select between series and parallel.

20. WintermintP

@lewis Those are kind of my thoughts as well. Even I was able to get the gist of the wiring just by looking at the dang thing.

But then because he initially said that it should be a simple job but then flaked out when he actually saw the bass I'm starting to feel there could be something going on as well.

WintermintP

lewis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.