Dingwall NAMM 2018 Reveals!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by TheEmptyCell, Jan 12, 2018.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player

Left handed Combustion and NG models and the NG3 - factory stock triple pickup NG model; a very popular aftermarket mod

https://instagram.com/p/Bd09YYIH3EC/

https://instagram.com/p/BdggpCunr1l/

Adam (Nolly) himself has also teased the six-string NG2, so that will likely be announced closer to or during NAMM.

AkiraSpectrum and Masoo2 like this.
  2. zarg

zarg guitar and computer nerd

the swirl looks insane... really sick!

Kind of weird since he doesn't tour with Periphery anymore but good for him and his signature models are really successful I reckon

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Hmm, I can't see the images. I might have to retry later. My interest is really piqued by the six string NG-2

4. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Dig the swirl!

5. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Loving that they are now releasing an NG3, but I'm still waiting for the official 6 string announcement.

They've been able to order for a while, haven't they? Just production was going to start early this year iirc

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player

It's such a popular model that there's no way they'll discontinue it, even if he never plays bass again.

Sixes aren't available for order, and NG3's aren't showing up until later in 2018. Sheldon just posted that they've got a big, new workshop that they're setting up for processing all the Chinese built basses, so it might be sooner!

7. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

Apparently there's also going to be a Combustion/NG level D-bird. So far only 4-strings shown; hopefully there will be 5ers as well.

8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Ah, crap. I have a NG2 5 string, and I figured I was done with Dingwall for a while. But a 6 string swirl? I may have to look into that. :lol:

What's the big deal with the additional pickup? Not being a bass player, primarily, I don't get the pickup ideas for basses. You've got the P bass, which has one pup right in the thump area. Then you've got the jazz bass, with an additional pup in the bridge area. I'm assuming the NG2 is a pup in the bridge and middle position, and the NG3 just adds the Precision position? And if that's the case, why was the NG2 not made with pickups in the Jazz positions?

9. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

The NG2 pickup config allowed for Nolly to get the series wiring/sound he really enjoyed from his 3 pickup ABXXX. However, a lot of people have been modding the NG2s with a third pickup because I guess having two humbuckers right beside each other doesn't lend itself to that much tonal variety? Idk, don't have one. But when I think NG2, I generally only think of that series sound so more variety is always good.

Hollowway likes this.
  10. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

his NG2 is more similar to a Music Man humbucker. which thats another pickup sound for you on the bass world, then theres jsut one, or two like on Warwics, or a mix of MM and J pickups ect ect.

Im guessing with the 3 pickup configuration you can have both a MM sound and a JJ bass. Plus whatever mix and combination in between they wired up.

Personally I hate having that many choices on a bass. I rather have one sound and be done. I never touch my blend knob on my own bass. Even if Im playing songs that are recorded with a P bass, or a MM one. In which I could change my blend to either neck or bridge to get closer to that sound. I still rather 1210481% to stay in the middle where I like it better

11. -Nolly-

-Nolly- SS.org Regular

Yup, I'm very grateful to be working with Dingwall still despite technically being a member of Periphery. I still do plenty of things with my basses out of the spotlight and have some cool projects coming up soon too, and Sheldon and the team's support is a true blessing.

As you guys have alluded to, the 3 pickup thing allows you to get the more Jazz-bass-y scooped bridge+neck in parallel thing going without sacrificing the bridge+middle in series sound that I love so much. I actually really enjoy the bridge+neck parallel combo a lot too, and have used both configs extensively on the road and in the studio, so having them both simultaneously accessible in one bass is fantastic.
    Weirdly the bridge and middle do have quite distinctly different characters, so I never felt that was a shortcoming on the NG2 (for one, the middle on its own does a great P-bass impression), but perhaps others don't agree.

Despite looking like a ton of options, the NG3 still only has 4 positions on the selector - bridge, bridge+middle series, bridge+neck parallel, and neck. If you want some crazier options, Dingwall also sell their D-bird 3-pickup selector which can be retrofitted, which gives you among other settings, bridge+neck series in parallel with neck for a really monstrous and cool sound.

12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Do you still get in the studio with the Periphery lads to track bass/write/produce with them?
    Otherwise I feel a massive part of why I love the band will be lost
    (not trying to ass kiss but dat bass tone and production... <3 )

13. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

The tracking I have done with my NG2 thus far has all been in GCGCF and the F maybe got one note on the whole record so I've been a little more interested in the 4 string option that came out last year.

TheEmptyCell likes this.